ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/7/22 4:18 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mx8cmuMKbPc

Is 2023 set to be the year of comebacks? Not only has the GTP name returned to prototype endurance racing, but so has Porsche with its weapon of choice, the 963.

To learn more about this hybrid race car before the Rolex 24 at Daytona, we talked to Thomas Laudenbach, Vice President Porsch…

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/22 4:22 p.m.

Exclusive footage from Porsche HQ during the naming discussion:

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/7/22 4:37 p.m.

962, 963, whatever it takes.

David S. Wallens
12/8/22 5:00 a.m.

I went back to tonight's practice just to sit and watch the cars go around–just me, cars on track, and no one else around.

The GTP cars look and sound good out there: very fast, very composed and, yes, enough of a roar. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
12/8/22 9:01 a.m.

I can't wait for the next couple of seasons, this is going to be really cool to watch unfold.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/8/22 9:26 a.m.

After seeing this car in person at Daytona I am really excited for the 2023 season. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/22 10:30 a.m.

That looks so good, I hope I can see it in person next year. I really hope that I can drive one next year, but that seems like an unrealistic goal. 

David S. Wallens
12/8/22 11:26 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Ask nicely. 

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
12/8/22 12:27 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It's like how much more Porsche can it be? And the answer is none. None more Porsche.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/8/22 12:42 p.m.

It's going to be interesting to watch the development curve on these cars. Word on the street currently is they're running baout even with the LMP2 cars, but the LMP2 guys don't want to take BoP hits to slow down. I imagine the GTP cars will just get exponentially faster and faster with development and BoP adjustments, but the beginning of the season is going ot be fun to watch.

350z247
350z247 Reader
12/8/22 1:27 p.m.

Did you hear that Formula 1? Hybrid V8s! Make F1 sound good again!

jb229
jb229 New Reader
12/8/22 1:43 p.m.

When I heard that Porsche, Cadillac and Acura were running their testing at the same time on the same tracks earlier this year so they could work together to nail down any issues with the spec hybrid system, in order to make sure that the grid would be full in '23, I finally allowed myself to get excited for the LMDh formula.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
12/8/22 2:19 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Maybe GTP will be allowed more power like when DPi teams didn't want to be held to LMP2 levels?

Apparently the Bosch hybrid unit hasn't been reliable. Porsche tried out a new version at Sebring in October, they completed their test but didn't say whether it was better. Because of supply issues Porsche has been doing the majority of the hybrid testing for everyone's benefit.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
12/8/22 3:21 p.m.

I hope they bring a couple out to Laguna Seca for Rennsport in 2023 , 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JUjIagjmo9aW8rHDQH82LghNXwyAclnrTiEA2TAQTEm3JLNF0XpGfPhdZyExHoh8