JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/15/22 10:39 a.m.
feature_image

Thanks to the proliferation of good, solid aero information for track and even autocross cars, more and more builders are adding splitters.

Designed to create both a shelf of high-pressure air at the front of the car and a clean path for high-velocity, low-pressure air beneath the car, splitters a…

Read the rest of the story

JG Pasterjak
2/15/22 12:11 p.m.

For the record, I went with truck bed liner for the finish coat. Kept off hootus, thankfully.

G_Loc
G_Loc
2/15/22 6:15 p.m.

Looks great!  Thinking about going this route myself and have a question: are the brackets easily removed once installed?  Would the bumper have to come off?  They seem to hang pretty low and I'd hate to damage them while driving around town or whatever (bought the car for track use, but I do like to drive it around between events!).

Thanks

JG Pasterjak
2/15/22 9:21 p.m.
G_Loc said:

Looks great!  Thinking about going this route myself and have a question: are the brackets easily removed once installed?  Would the bumper have to come off?  They seem to hang pretty low and I'd hate to damage them while driving around town or whatever (bought the car for track use, but I do like to drive it around between events!).

Thanks

I'm like 90% sure the bumper will have to come at least part of the way off to get the brackets back off. The problem is the bracket that holds the top of the bumper cover to the steel bumper makes it almost impossible to get to a couple mount bolts. You *might* be able to somehow just slip the top of the bumper off, or modify that brcket a bit to make the bolts more accessible. You may also be able to modify the splitter brackets to come apart somehow. After this weekend's Pro Solo, I'm going to spent some time seeing if I can figure out some sort of quick release at least for the splitter itself. 

Also note that I haven't tried to load the car on the trailer yet, and I think that's going to be an adventure. I may end up needing about 30' of ramp.

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
2/16/22 4:59 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
G_Loc said:

Thanks

I'm like 90% sure the bumper will have to come at least part of the way off to get the brackets back off. The problem is the bracket that holds the top of the bumper cover to the steel bumper makes it almost impossible to get to a couple mount bolts. You *might* be able to somehow just slip the top of the bumper off, or modify that brcket a bit to make the bolts more accessible. You may also be able to modify the splitter brackets to come apart somehow. After this weekend's Pro Solo, I'm going to spent some time seeing if I can figure out some sort of quick release at least for the splitter itself. 

Also note that I haven't tried to load the car on the trailer yet, and I think that's going to be an adventure. I may end up needing about 30' of ramp.

Can't you modify the bracket and make a new lower and use a set of rotator door latch style setups on the uppers that could hold some pins on the lower plate captive?  Set it all up with a cable pull. 

Something like these at the link and then a pin held in double shear for the lower mount. Should be fast, cheap and easy. And I'd think it should give more than enough support if you do it right... 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-bcl-2?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3rKQBhCNARIsACUEW_YaTAbPikrapic5yQH72KKReH8rqUgfHi4-iujRmGW9qAewKx2KkHQaAhC8EALw_wcB

By no means am I saying that's the best option or would work without looking at stuff.... but its where my head went to. Probably maybe are some better latches suited to it, that would hold the pin more captive in a rotator style setup... but something along those lines would be where I would be starting to explore for a quick release setup. 

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
2/16/22 6:38 a.m.

Pro Awesome has quick release hardware that is pretty....awesome.  Not sure what all would be involved with adapting to Johnny's kit, though. 

https://professionalawesome.com/product/professional-awesome-quick-release-splitter-support-system/

G_Loc
G_Loc New Reader
2/16/22 4:40 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Appreciate the response.  Before I saw this, I  had e-mailed 9LR asking about a quick release.  They made it seem that you can just unbolt them by popping the hood and reaching over to where the bolts are.  Anyways, looking forward to whatever you come up with!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/22 9:29 a.m.

So, JG, did you get the Corvette on the trailer? Fortunately you do have a rather long driveway....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cd2WWAKGZaIKWfuGnGoI4PRtzFyguo9YyC8OUYb9nxZhQl0PIVn7X9tZP1rcOROF