1 2
yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/11/18 1:02 a.m.

pic says it all

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/11/18 3:15 a.m.

If it's latex, I'd try just a good wash. Provided there was some wax on the surface there, It probably didn't set in. If it's not latex....then I would say just be very careful with the mineral spirits. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
2/11/18 6:08 a.m.

I would see what the paint can label says about cleanup.  Bmw88rider's suggestions are what I would expect, as good general guidance. If it is hard to remove from some of the surfaces, there is a product called "Oops!" that is specifically intended for removing dried latex paint.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
2/11/18 6:11 a.m.

Electric drill, wire brush attachment.

Done!cheeky

Much more seriously, is that latex paint? Is it interior or exterior?

If it's latex, it may come off with hot soapy water and some gentle persuasion. It might even peel off after it dries.

mrap1000
mrap1000 New Reader
2/11/18 6:29 a.m.

Many years ago, I was painting the shutters on my house with an electric spray gun.  I'd gone to great lengths to mask the rest of the house from overspray.  Unfortunately, I didn't about my car parked in the driveway about 30 feet downwind of the job area.

The wind picked up a little, and when I finished the job, I found my maroon Volvo 240 had turned a nice shade of pink.

It was 95 degrees out.  The oil-based enamel had dried instantly.  With a little patience, fine compounding polish took it off with no problems.  Had to apply it by hand with a pile of rags, because my electric buffer pad would load instantly.

Of course, one half of the car then had a nice shine, so I had to do the rest of the car to match.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/11/18 6:51 a.m.
yupididit said:

pic says it all

Username checks out.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/11/18 7:41 a.m.

Thanks guys!

Also, it's been on the car for about a year. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/11/18 7:43 a.m.

Goo gone(the citrus stuff) on a rag, lay on fender, keep it moist.  It’ll get through it without hurting the car paint.  If you’re adventurous you can try a heat gun, low setting far away just to soften the latex enough to peel.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/11/18 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

LMAO. Not me this time!

A partners x300 XJR. He's offering it to me cheap, offensively cheap. Runs strong with minor issues. This being the major issue! I'm thinking a fix and flip. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/11/18 7:49 a.m.

Hummmm. If that is the major issue, I'd jump on that. Being that it's been a year then I'd try white vinegar and then possibly rubbing alcohol first. then is nothing else works then Goof-off.

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
2/11/18 7:54 a.m.

I’d try a pressure washer with a pretty wide nozzle on it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/11/18 8:10 a.m.

BTW, You can bring it up to Austin and we can get that solved I'm sure. I've got all of the detailing tools to work over the paint. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/11/18 8:52 a.m.

I like the pressure washer idea.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/11/18 9:09 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

BTW, You can bring it up to Austin and we can get that solved I'm sure. I've got all of the detailing tools to work over the paint. 

That's where the car is. I haven't gotten it yet because I'm out of space lol. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
2/11/18 9:14 a.m.

Goof Off and pressure washer seem like the ticket.  Followed by a gentle compound and wax.  If not, just continue the sharks tooth theme on both sides.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/11/18 9:19 a.m.

The more I see XJRs around, the more I think I need one in my life.

A cross country roadtrip in a 20 year old Jag doesn't seem like the worst way to fly home.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/11/18 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Well, I'll be selling my x308 xjr in a few months. And possibly this x300 wink

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/11/18 10:02 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Knurled. :

LMAO. Not me this time!

A partners x300 XJR. He's offering it to me cheap, offensively cheap. Runs strong with minor issues. This being the major issue! I'm thinking a fix and flip. 

Pressure wash the hell out of it.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
2/11/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Don't fix it - rallyx it!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
2/11/18 10:24 a.m.

A year? Wouldn't have been as difficult to deal with when it happened. 

Well, I haven't been active on this forum for that long, but I know that you like your jags. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/11/18 10:32 a.m.

Hopefully it's latex. That would be easy. If not, try turpentine or paint thinner.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/11/18 10:46 a.m.

We used to deal with house paint on cars a lot when I was in school. 

We used a razor blade or plastic vinyl squeegee to scrape the house paint off then buffed the paint with a power buffer. 

The razor blade method requires polishing the blade and taking the corners off it first. Then you drag the blade. 

Edit: Neither method is recommended if the paint has a significant orange peel in the surface. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/11/18 2:33 p.m.

Razor and clay bar is what I’ve used in the past.  Take most off with the razor then clay bar to clean it up.  You can also get plastic razor blades that are much safer,  but you’d want to softer up with a heat gun first.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/11/18 4:28 p.m.

Well if it's here.....Shoot, Send me the address and cost and I'll grab it. :P Or just detail it for a small cost. I need something to do next weekend anyways. 

Seriously though. PM me if you want some help. We can get that cat shining pretty in a day. 

Edit: Found it on Craigslist. That's less than 5 miles from the house. Sounds like a perfect big challenge car to me at that price. 

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/11/18 6:24 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I'll be up there this week/weekend sometime to give it a closer look. Ill let you know! Thanks for the offer by the way. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4X82cGoZNwXs6ziMWWB96WMePABl6eEBL0uzUyf7G0RXECKdeCoAXlsMggd4rZ3V