yupididit SuperDork
2/18/18 10:59 p.m.

Checked the car out today. 

It had 4 codes:
P1175
P0300
P1316
P1314

Also the abs light was on and the traction control was stuck turned off. It wouldn't toggle on or off. The brakes were kind of iffy and the shocks are gone as well as bushings If I had to venture a guess. The car ran better than expected for what was wrong. It didn't feel as fast as I thought it should be but my benchmark is my healthy x308 XJR. So, may not be a fair assessment. 

One odd thing was the car doors locked me out car while the car was idling. It also locked me in the car during and had to use the key out the window and unlock it from the outside. Jags

Jere
Jere Dork
2/19/18 10:59 a.m.

Good off and a library card... If you don't actually go to the library

Latex uses a different sovlent than car paint.. even gas or kerosene WD-40 should do the job. Make sure to let it soak in to the paint good tho

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
2/19/18 11:36 a.m.

Will any of these processes work for an entire car?  Asking for a friend or teammate, it seems that our nice red mustang got painted with oil-based house paint one night by some bored team members.  It's a lemons car so it doesn't really matter. 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
2/19/18 11:44 a.m.

I would add to it just to piss off the Jag Purists.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/19/18 12:38 p.m.

been using a steamer to remove paint like that from wood with great success.  

Jefferyk2
Jefferyk2 New Reader
8/10/22 10:57 p.m.
mrap1000 said:

Many years ago, I was painting the shutters on my house with an electric spray gun.  I'd gone to great lengths to mask the rest of the house from overspray.  Unfortunately, I didn't about my car parked in the driveway about 30 feet downwind of the job area.

The wind picked up a little, and when I finished the job, I found my maroon Volvo 240 had turned a nice shade of pink. Got some help from this site.

It was 95 degrees out.  The oil-based enamel had dried instantly.  With a little patience, fine compounding polish took it off with no problems.  Had to apply it by hand with a pile of rags, because my electric buffer pad would load instantly.

Of course, one half of the car then had a nice shine, so I had to do the rest of the car to match.

I've used clay to get rid of spray paint from dried paint that was both acrylic and enamel. The only time it didn't succeed was when a base overspray touched a little tacky clear. In the worst-case scenario, I've also used a brief run of lacquer thinner, which removed nearly everything, including paint splatter from collisions.

I highly doubt the paint was less than an hour old, so if clay doesn't work, a gentle machine buffing should.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
8/11/22 12:20 a.m.

I would try Goo Gone Graffiti Remover. It reads : 

Removing spray paint is never easy. Unless you have Goo Gone Graffiti Remover.

Works on spray paint, latex paint, acrylic and aerosol paint

I would test it in a low spot to check if the fender has been refinished. It could cause delamination of the non factory paint.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ljPEiyoBx7CpTbzrK1accurG7qaCNQu8O8axGVDGAWvXZbwgS98bWhUjHiS4N3Yo