_
_ Reader
2/15/19 5:07 p.m.

Is it a “10”? As in “you shouldn’t do it without it!” Or a “5”? Like “you can do most of it without them”. Or a “1”, totally useless, waste o’ cash, which I doubt, since FM doesn’t really do “crap”

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/15/19 5:11 p.m.

5. I really liked the Ninja tool. But could have done it without. Just made it easier. That's also going to be dependant on the user. Make sure you get your free calendar and I think over $100 you get a windshield banner. We just put our banner on today. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/15/19 5:34 p.m.

None of them are "impossible to do without" tools. They just make the job easier. In order of usefullness, I'd rank them like this:

Most useful

Rear main seal installer
Crank bolt holding tool
Front main seal installer
Ninja
Cam seal installer

That rear main is actually really hard to seat properly because you have such a small lip on a large diameter seal, and the tool costs the same as the new seal you quite likely will need when you screw up the first attempt. We made a crank bolt tool for our own shop use 25 years ago, and the one we sell is basically a copy of that. The Ninja makes it easier to keep the cams aligned but if you pay attention you can do that without the tool.

Unfortunately, all the calendars are gone. We underestimated demand!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/15/19 5:36 p.m.

I like the crank bolt tool a lot. I'll buy one when I do the timing belt on my new car. 

_
_ Reader
2/15/19 5:37 p.m.

Already answered with quickness! 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/15/19 5:54 p.m.

I should mention that the Ninja tool sells ridiculously well. There's no way that many Miatas are getting timing belts. It may be the multi-purpose aspect, but people love it :)

codrus
codrus UltraDork
2/15/19 6:32 p.m.

I think the crank holding tool is most useful when you're trying to do the job on your own, or if the engine is out of the car.  If it's in the car and you have a buddy, then it's much easier to just put it in gear and have him sit there with his foot on the brake. :)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
2/15/19 6:38 p.m.

Having done the rear main seal myself last summer without the tool...and screwed it up & had to buy another seal...just get the tool. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
2/15/19 7:43 p.m.

I have the full set and I'd put the crank holder as nearly a 10. We all know that these cranks can get destroyed by incorrect torque procedures. So, for me, having the ability to easily secure the crank from rotating while installing the bolt allowed me to sleep much better at night.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
2/15/19 8:46 p.m.

The last timing belt I did was on a Kia, and I tried about 3 different strategies to loosen the crank bolt, and eventually got it by stuffing a cylinder full of rope to stop the engine from turning. For the Miata I decided to skip the shenanigans and bought the crank holder and Ninja. The whole process was "by the book" with no hang ups or wasted time.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
2/15/19 8:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I should mention that the Ninja tool sells ridiculously well. There's no way that many Miatas are getting timing belts. It may be the multi-purpose aspect, but people love it :)

I don't even own a Miata and I want one.

_
_ Reader
2/15/19 11:21 p.m.

Ok, ok! I’m sold!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vN3dvS10ANufifrSa9kr8xxgaMF8ak5EVe6BnoHkEhERzutvE1W3J1GXQQoEI6fe