1 2 3 4
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/22 4:07 p.m.

Not mine, but I saw one last week in the flesh and the want is high to eventually replace the V60 on the prior page.

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
1/5/22 4:44 p.m.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/5/22 4:45 p.m.

I'm 5 dooring it myself

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/5/22 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

From a recent local autocross:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/22 5:42 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I saw this while out and about this past weekend. We need more cars like this. 

Is that a wagon...or a hatchback?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/5/22 5:42 p.m.

Never owned a wagon, sad to say, so my game is weak. But my want is strong.

I've recently become interested in the Golf sportwagen, despite my general suspicion of all things German (recovering BMW addict!)

According to a friend, the mk7 golf is bulletproof. I'm still not so sure. His has a bigger turbo and some other stuff and makes close to 400 hp, so he says. It looks cool and very stealth, which I like.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/22 5:49 p.m.

Everyday I'm wagoning.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/5/22 5:50 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

The Outback is my second wagon (first one was a Civic). When I bought my Protege I really wanted a Protege 5 but couldn't find one at the level I wanted.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
1/5/22 8:17 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Nearly bought one of those Golf / Jetta wagons, except for some daft reason you could only get the TDI with a vinyl interior, and many of the examples were already having the vinyl cracking. So I ended up with a Passat TDI (and leather interior) instead.

Oddly, as much as I like wagons, I've never owned one.

I really wanted a sportwagon TDI, but none of the wagons on the lot were TDI. So, we ended up with a Passat TDI, too.

I learned to drive in 1976 gran torino wagon and 4 spd 1980 pinto wagon, and as much as I want a wagon, I have never owned a wagon.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/5/22 8:24 p.m.

My future Ice Racer (probably not common on this site!)

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) Reader
1/5/22 8:38 p.m.

In reply to NGTD :

that looks suspiciously like my father's old Impreza

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/5/22 8:46 p.m.
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) said:

In reply to NGTD :

that looks suspiciously like my father's old Impreza

It's been around, especially around the Rally community - I know a few owners - J. Vanos, J. Gardhouse

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) Reader
1/5/22 8:51 p.m.

In reply to NGTD :

Cool history... but not the same car then

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/5/22 9:02 p.m.

I've owned several, my current DD is my 2004 Ralliart wagon. I don't normally autocross it, but it filled in for the Miata this fall. A string of good luck with small class turnout and bad weather resulted in three wins in four events (boiled the brake fluid in the fourth one), then a second in class at the state championship. 

A reliable daily driver since 2010. 

Loweguy5 (the Neon is gone!)
Loweguy5 (the Neon is gone!) HalfDork
1/5/22 9:15 p.m.

This old girl is my favorite in my fleet, and also the cheapest...

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
1/5/22 9:38 p.m.

mmmm wagons. Here's my manual mk7 wagon. Been made a bit better than base with SEL seats and some gti suspension bits. Time to go bench build an awd swap again. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/5/22 9:51 p.m.

OMG I love wagons.

My last V8 Pinto was a wagon.

I'd sell my own son for a '58 Pontiac wagon.  Seriously.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/6/22 8:04 a.m.

I got it 4-5 years ago now. It is a great little car. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
1/6/22 10:47 a.m.

I think my wagon game is quite stronk. Here's my '72 95V4 with my wife's '08 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T/6MT:

Many others have come and gone, but these seem to be here to stay (for a while, at least).

iansane
iansane HalfDork
1/6/22 10:47 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

From a recent local autocross:

Oh glob. That's awesome.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
1/6/22 10:49 a.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/6/22 11:12 a.m.

My parents bought a 1991 Passat wagon new - picked it up in Wolfsburg. It was a Canadian car so it had a stick :) I put stripes on it once, this is from the late 90s.

Replaced that in 1998 with a Legacy GT wagon. Stick.

Replaced that about a decade later with a newer Subaru wagon. Stick.

When it came time to replace that car for whatever reason (rust, I believe), Subaru had turned the Outback into an SUV/minivan thing and the Subaru wagon was gone. This was after Dieselgate and Dad was pissed at VW. So he bought a Legacy sedan, the first time they hadn't had a wagon in over a quarter century.

A year later, they'd had enough and went looking for something else. They tried to find an SUV that fit, but SUVs have the wrong shape of load bed. Plus my petite mother doesn't want to climb into a vehicle. So they traded in the Legacy on a Sportwagen. No stick because you can't do that anymore. Dad's gone now, but Mom loves the little thing. It feels the right size - it's basically that 1991 Passat again, right down to the color. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/6/22 11:15 a.m.

I've only owned one myself, but it went on Adventures. It was slow enough that I just left the throttle pinned on the interstate and I could do the speed limit on the flat. Climbing the big passes, I had to watch for semis in the rear view mirror.

No longer have the car, but I still use the snowshoes :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/6/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My 2011 Outback is a 6 speed manual, it took 3 months to find one. We do many of the same things you did with yours.  I've had it going on 8 years................may have to drive it forever because where am I going to find a AWD station wagon with a manual transmission.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/6/22 11:56 a.m.

That old Subaru of mine was actually pushbutton 4WD! 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iI3gixc68O7sZZajmCxrehdvve174ccVesxmluz3Mdjz8M8EWWm9EK9y8HGllHqk