1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/9/17 10:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Hows it looking in Gainesville?

Don't quote me, but not totally devastating. They're going to feel it, though. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/9/17 10:22 p.m.

Gainesville is a crapshoot at the moment. If the current track holds they're on the hook for near-hurricane force winds and 100+ mph gusts. The forest will be their friend, though, and help take a lot of the energy out of that wind at ground level. But they're in a spot where a 10-mile wobble either way could make a huge difference.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
9/10/17 12:07 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

If you haven't heard, Hurricane Irma is headed straight for Grassroots Motorsports' world headquarters in Holly Hill, Florida, And that unfortunately means that instead of bringing you another great episode of our weekly live show, Grassroots Motorsports LIVE!, we'll be preparing our homes and families for the coming storm. After the damage we received from last year's Hurricane Matthew (pictured), we aren't taking any chances with this year's preparations. Our editorial office will also be closed Thursday through Monday, but those with subscription questions can still call (877) 677-6878 for assistance.

Don't worry–you'll still see new content posted on our website throughout the storm, and the next print issue of Grassroots Motorsports will mail on time. Have your own Hurricane Irma stories or plans to share? Post them in the comments below.

I don't care if the next issue is late. Take care of yourself and the rest of the GRM family in Florida.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
9/10/17 6:45 a.m.

Any updates from persons affected by the storm? 

I'm worried about y'all in the path!

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 8:07 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Any updates from persons affected by the storm? 

I'm worried about y'all in the path!

Do we have anyone down in the Keys still online? Looks like they're getting pounded right now. 

I've been talking to friends in Tampa and St. Pete. They're either out of there or hunkered down. They know that we have space here and are ready to come help dig out. 

We're on the East Coast. Yesterday I finished cleaning the gutters. Since we're going to stay, we've been putting things back. We moved some important stuff into safer spots of the house. Now we're putting stuff back so we don't trip over it when the lights go out. We also washed dishes and clothes while we still have power. 

Today's plan: Work on the magazine until the power goes out. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/10/17 8:12 a.m.

The area between Key West and Marathon would not be a fun place to be right now. Going to be a long day for everyone in the path.

Campbelljj
Campbelljj New Reader
9/10/17 8:25 a.m.

From Weeki Wachee. Everyone stay safe and hunker down. Going to be a long 24 hours. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
9/10/17 8:39 a.m.

I heard that EVERY SINGLE ONE of Key Power's customers is now without power. 

Wow. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/10/17 9:11 a.m.

An elderly friend of mine is in north east Sarasoda.  They are not in an evacuation zone but I am worried for them. Looks like a bad place to be to me. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/10/17 9:12 a.m.

Yeah, you guys don't worry about the next issue.  Worry about staying safe.  I'll read the TWO, DIFFERENT, MAY 2017 ISSUES I have.  You know, because MAY ONLY COMES AROUND TWICE A YEAR.

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
9/10/17 10:38 a.m.

I finally got off my butt and ordered/payed for my first GRM "perscription" last week and now this.  I was/am excited to get a good ole analog magazine in my hands and now Irma (that @#$%&) is trying to keep it from me!  Oh well, better than being underwater.  Once again, if anyone needs anything near Mont Al holler, my cell is on page one of this thread.

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 11:16 a.m.

Don't worry, the next issue of GRM is at the printer. JG uploaded it to the printer on Tuesday. They're no where near Florida, so the magazine is safe. Right now we're elbow-deep in the next issue of Classic Motorsports. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
9/10/17 11:31 a.m.

It would be super selfish of me to actually be concerned about my magazine.  Just trying to be funny.  Y'all take care, as luxuries are not important right now

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 1:12 p.m.

Well, we had our first storm-related incident. 

Last night, after a day of prepping and cleaning and prepping some more, we finally got to relax on the couch. First time I have turned on the TV in more than a week–maybe even a couple of weeks.

We have two dogs. The big one was in the little bed, and the little one was fluffing up the big bed. It’s like 3x4 feet. I did some play-by-play commentary.

"She's fluffing this side."

"And now to fluff the other side."

"Almost done fluffing."

"Wait, she's squatting--and peeing in the bed!"

The kicker: They had just been out a few minutes earlier.

So instead of relaxing, we got to cram a pee-soaked dog bed into the washer machine. I've heard from others that their dogs have been acting weird lately. Ours rarely have accidents. They know how to ask to go out. 

Wait, I think I just heard her fluffing again....

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/10/17 1:53 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Would you want to go outside to pee in this?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/10/17 2:09 p.m.

My Nephew in Key West Last Posted to us at 4:30 this Am, From the Truman Ave Side. was going to post Hourly But I knew 5:30 to 7:30 Liked it would be Hard on Key West As well as the east side of the Eye, It's 3 Pm now in Atlanta area And no words or Contact Yet,  Zillow Walki Talki is how he Said he could Communcate But I don't have that App.

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 2:18 p.m.
Stampie said:

Would you want to go outside to pee in this?

This was last night. It wasn't really raining yet. Last time we stayed here for a hurricane, the other dog peed in the house--in my office, in fact. I guess the score has been evened. Right now they're both sleeping. So cute. The bed is now much fluffier, too. 

IMG_0586 by davidwallens, on Flickr

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/10/17 2:34 p.m.

Here's to hoping the whole household doesn't sh¡t the bed by morning. Stay safe.

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 2:51 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Here's to hoping the whole household doesn't sh¡t the bed by morning. Stay safe.

Thanks. I think we're safe. We're no longer inside the cone. It's the other side of Florida that concerns me. I'm seeing video from southeast Florida now. Wow, it's brutal stuff. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/10/17 3:11 p.m.

BiL and SIL west of orlando east of 75 are foolishly texting about how everyone was all concerned about them but its not bad.  This is their first hurricane, and they've got a rude awakening coming tonight when the eye is due west of them.  

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/10/17 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yeah their E36 M3 will get more real over night. I still remember Hugo and thinking wtf is everyone worried cause it wasn't that bad until the E36 M3 hit the hurricane. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/10/17 3:31 p.m.

Latest:

If I read that right, about 0800 GRM HQ is gonna have hurricane force winds.

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 3:34 p.m.

Yeah, that track is good for us--not so for friends on the other side of the state. It's been raining steadily for an hour or two here in Ormond Beach. It doesn't seem too windy. (I'm still in my office.)

Just heard something fall, so I should go investigate.... 

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 3:39 p.m.

Don't see anything down, so that's good. It is getting windier. 

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/10/17 3:43 p.m.

Things here in Gainesville are not too bad yet. Heavy rain since daybreak and fairly breezy. Everything is battened down at home and we're sheltering in place. 5 of the 6 cars are tucked away, despite only having a 1 car garage. I left 2 over on the UF campus in their parking deck.

It will get interesting tonight and into the early morning tomorrow. Our big concern is a tree coming down on the house or the 1 car still outside. It's been a long time since Gainesville experienced actual hurricane force winds. We're known as tree city USA, so the fear is lots of those trees blowing over. sad

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bfrQDOY5JNytQoI2PkAk4GqqtH24I8lMiR5y4iAHabgZtQH3EA3k0wrN0c2wZ2Bs