2 3 4
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/10/17 3:54 p.m.

I have two soaked cats. They didn't quite put together that the tubs are full of water. I heard *thump* *splash * and then a furry orange streak 've flying across the house.  15min later, I heard the same thing in the other bathroom, followed by a black streak. She didn't learn from the orange one. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/10/17 3:57 p.m.

Reports say trees ae going down in West Palm Beach.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/10/17 4:42 p.m.

Just lost power here in Ormond Beach but it came back after 10 or so minutes. We're rushing to finish cooking dinner but during the outage my wife got her camping stove ready. 

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 4:45 p.m.

And our battery backups are ready. Plus the neighbors have a generator and said that we should plug in.

IMG_0598 by davidwallens, on Flickr

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
9/10/17 4:55 p.m.

We're doing pretty well at the (younger) Suddard household. Still have power, and aside from a few downed branches it doesn't seem too bad outside. 

My parents, though, are living the good life. I put a transfer switch in their house this afternoon, which means they just flip a switch and plug the generator in when the power goes out, then BOOM their house goes back to normal. 

Tonight should be interesting, but we'll see how things go. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/10/17 6:12 p.m.

A friend in Fort Myers has been posting videos all afternoon / evening.  It looks pretty messy there.  Their street is flooded, a few trees down, no power.  Lots of rain / wind, but nothing strong enough to be truly destructive.  Hopefully the water stops rising before it reaches too many of the houses and cars in driveways...

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 6:17 p.m.

Power went away around 5:15. Then the neighbor texted: There's an extension cord hanging over the fence; plug in and we'll run the generator later.

The power has since come back, but we have our extension cords routed and ready.

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 6:22 p.m.

Gotta give props to FPL for checking outages: Just enter the phone number on the account and ZIP code for a status. You don't have to remember your password or anything. It's quick and clean. 

David S. Wallens
9/10/17 6:27 p.m.

By the way, since I took the time to nicely route the extension cords and stuff, our power will remain on through the rest of the storm. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/10/17 6:29 p.m.

Lost power at about 7p...down 30 min so far. I'm warm. Apartment, so a generator is not a solid answer. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/10/17 6:31 p.m.

The elder Suddards are, indeed, doing well. After a solid 7 days of prep, including today's installation of a generator transfer switch (thank you, Tom), we are drinking and playing cards with 82-year-old Omi. Thankful the worst of the storm will miss us, but that happiness is tempered by the reality that our miss is other Floridians' disaster. It's awful and awesome to spend a day aware of your fellows and what you share. Mock Florida all you want, but we can deal with some genuine E36 M3. That's worth something.

Margie

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/10/17 6:52 p.m.
mndsm said:

I have two soaked cats. They didn't quite put together that the tubs are full of water. I heard *thump* *splash * and then a furry orange streak 've flying across the house.  15min later, I heard the same thing in the other bathroom, followed by a black streak. She didn't learn from the orange one. 

Ha!  I can just see that happening to!  Cats can be sort of silly some times.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/10/17 6:54 p.m.

Glad to hear most are doing relatively well.  My son is in Orlando and it's just getting going there although seems the forecast is better than originally expected.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/11/17 6:40 a.m.

Is there anything left of the Keys?  I have not heard a thing about them. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/11/17 7:05 a.m.

8Am Still no word From Key West, Not seeing anything on TV up here about the Key's, Anything from south Fla about KW

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/11/17 10:07 a.m.

We are all fine, and some GRMers even have power, though only spotty cell and data. Suddards are rocking the generator--so glad Tom wired his garage this summer so he knew how to do the transfer panel for us. Big mess, minor damage, no A/C. In other words, whew.

hope everyone else does as well.

Margie

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/11/17 1:58 p.m.

After party? Glad to here it is at least tolerable if not outstanding considering...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/12/17 7:52 a.m.

It seems like the media really hyped this storm, and lots of people evacuated or really took precautions as a result.  I am not a fan of overblown media, but I really like the fact that the death and injury toll was kept to a minimum as a result. 

I hope people don't come away thinking "See, we evacuated for nothing.  Next time, I am staying put."  

I hope they think "We dodged a bullet this time, next time we might not be so lucky. Now we know how to evacuate, next time it will be even smoother." 

Stay safe folks!

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nnUReBkWh0QWObKY7bUswdegaZYn3QTDwpCmoJi41MhdrZczu6SkxCE8Y8SrbQex