1 2 3 4 5
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/18/13 9:45 a.m.
kreb wrote: As a real, usable, all-weather, mass producable, reasonably priced machine, I don't think that it can be done at that weight point. At 1000 lbs. it should be manageable. If there's a 100+MPG Locost out there (there is), I don't see why a 3-wheeler couldn't be made to those goals.

I don't see the weight point as being relevant to the challenge as I've said before. Weight is only a factor of performance and economy, if you can meet your performance and economy goals then the weight is acceptable. Chasing a magic weight for the sake of weight itself is pointless.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/18/13 9:59 a.m.

Its so bad I want to build 3. I want to build one side by side based on the 1990 civic I have. 1 low slung sporty open one. 1 realistic 150cc GY6 small size low weight enclosed runabout

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/18/13 10:07 a.m.

Where's Liz Carmichael when we need her ... him ... err ..?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/18/13 10:09 a.m.
nocones wrote: Its so bad I want to build 3. I want to build one side by side based on the 1990 civic I have. 1 low slung sporty open one. 1 realistic 150cc GY6 small size low weight enclosed runabout

I know what you mean, as I toss around ideas in my head I don't know which way I'd want to go. My goal would be to build something I can license in NJ so that may drive some of it depending on where they blur the line between car and motorcycle. I'd like to do a 2 place side by side but that may cross into the car realm for NJ

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/18/13 10:09 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: Where's Liz Carmichael when we need her ... him ... err ..?

Damn I feel like a geek 'cause I didn't even have to click the link to know what you meant.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/18/13 10:38 a.m.

I really think my "crowdsource" concept is going to be designing an relatively easy to manufacture Kit/plans to convert a $900 Chinese Scooter into an enclosed 3 wheeler. The primary purpose would be a little more safety due to 3 wheel stability in inclimate weather, weather protection, and structure around you for minor fender bender situations. It would be neat to have 3 ways to acquire the design.
1. Just plans. DIY everything that way people could at their option adapt for any scooter drivetrain if they wished.
2. Flat pack of pre-bent/pre cut chassis components, and all required bodywork. You do final weld and assembly
3. Full kit. Buy the Kit, Buy the $900 scooter. Take it apart and in a few weeks roll out your comutermobile.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/18/13 11:11 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
slantvaliant wrote: Where's Liz Carmichael when we need her ... him ... err ..?
Damn I feel like a geek 'cause I didn't even have to click the link to know what you meant.

You weren't the only one. Plywood rear swingarms FTW!

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/18/13 2:25 p.m.

I can't not think about this right now.

Behold the fruits of my lunch hour. An artist i am not. I have a coresponding 3 view of the body and chassis/suspension in progress. This would be a low power weather tight commuter. Lots of aluminum and thin fiberglass.

Need to make the wings less star wars.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/18/13 2:27 p.m.

If you're NOT an artist, I'm skinny and clean shaven.

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
10/18/13 2:37 p.m.
nocones wrote: I can't not think about this right now. Behold the fruits of my lunch hour. An artist i am not. I have a coresponding 3 view of the body and chassis/suspension in progress. This would be a low power weather tight commuter. Lots of aluminum and thin fiberglass. Need to make the wings MORE star wars.

FTFY

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/18/13 3:12 p.m.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/18/13 3:18 p.m.

Clearly Warren that has 4 wheels and therefore has no place in this thread.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
10/18/13 4:32 p.m.

Hmm, fantasy car design... okay

Well that's easy. I have a design in my head, know exactly how it would go together, and have a good idea of the resulting mileage - and it's a lot of work. I win.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/18/13 8:14 p.m.
nocones wrote: Clearly Warren that has 4 wheels and therefore has no place in this thread.

Of course, I was just reminded of something by your sketches.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/18/13 9:53 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Hmm, fantasy car design... okay Well that's easy. I have a design in my head, know exactly how it would go together, and have a good idea of the resulting mileage - and it's a lot of work. I win.

It's only fantasy for now. If enough people want in we can organize a challenge. :)

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/18/13 10:02 p.m.

I want in, but like with most things I have no time, money, or ambition. Offer me a prize and I'm in!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
10/18/13 11:10 p.m.

I've wanted to build a 3 wheeler for some time. I'm in the middle of a project at the moment. But, I think that I would be in.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
10/19/13 11:21 a.m.

Thought about it some more...

Didn't someone have some spare berkely bodies?

So here's how I would do it:

Start with later 1.5l CRX HF powertrain. On that engine, shave the head for more compression, basically set to run premium only. The 5 speed from that is great at making low engine speeds while driving all the time. I'm not looking at making more than the orignal power- same 62 hp, but just more efficient at doing it. I'd also go with a tunable SEFI specific tuner- so that I can take advantage of some injection timing ideas to make better efficiency.

With that- make a chassis that pretty much fits under a berkely body- and modify a little if need be. The goal would be a kind of wide front, keep the narrow interior, and taper that to a pointed back. I'd also try to make some kind of top, but would hope an artist would help make it look good.

That seems to give a front end that's reasonably safe, an efficient powertrain, and a body that can be pretty slippery. Having cleared 60mpg a few times on my '88 HF, I do think 80mpg would be possible, and still be reasonable.

So...

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
10/19/13 12:02 p.m.

The "400 lb" is a total no-go.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/19/13 1:51 p.m.
kb58 wrote: The "400 lb" is a total no-go.

Previously discussed and agreed, its an arbitrary number with no meaningful purpose, it was only included in the original thoughts because thats what Go3wheeler is aiming for. The fuel economy and performance goals are what's important, certainly weight is a factor but setting a specific weight as the goal is silly.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/20/13 9:05 p.m.

A lot of people been talking a lot of smack lately. Now comes the challenge to put your money where your mouth is and what happened? I don't have time, money or I can't weld. Really? And than when I saw the drawing I threw up in my mouth three times. Oh man, what a bunch of losers.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Event Marketing
10/20/13 9:18 p.m.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/20/13 9:20 p.m.

Great way to advertise your product. I'm REALLY happy people have been trying to help you.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
10/20/13 9:24 p.m.

Not everything can be as elegant as box tubing shaped like a shopping cart with a pressure washer engine on the back.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/20/13 9:36 p.m.
go3wheeler wrote: A lot of people been talking a lot of smack lately. Now comes the challenge to put your money where your mouth is and what happened? I don't have time, money or I can't weld. Really? And than when I saw the drawing I threw up in my mouth three times. Oh man, what a bunch of losers.

Your the Best Go3wheeler!

Sorry everyone finds my 5 minute sketch so objectionable.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c3zYC4EfS1Q1gleq6fIkqqwCqzj47R6nzLn7dx8kY3C2avIxdqtc0HLxHDCgubOd