1 2 3
FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/17/17 8:39 a.m.

Hypothetical situation.

This is the last time you get to drive, ever. Autonomous hover vehicles have taken over the world and all the roads are about to be pulled up and all wheeled vehicles will be crushed.

Keith and Flyin Miata have given you a fully prepped as you want it LS ND Miata. Kalitta Air has given you free airfare for you and the car anywhere in the world. You are given enough fuel to run the car for 24 hours.

What would you do?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/17/17 8:41 a.m.

I'd probably put Sabine Schmidt in the passenger seat and have her point me around the Ring until I got sleepy, then take some bennies and keep going.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
5/17/17 8:56 a.m.

Stelvio Pass.

Up and down until it lost its charm or I died in a fiery wreck (which is way moreally likely considering my skill level), then off to explore more of the Italian Alps.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/17/17 9:00 a.m.

To Tierra Del Fuego Argentina.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
5/17/17 9:06 a.m.

So, I have a v8 ND and 24 hours?

Either Africa north to south or Asia west to east.

Just a cross continental rally sprint across somewhere I've never been.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/17/17 9:21 a.m.

I'd drive I-80 across Nebraska 4 times in a row. After that I'd probably welcome autonomous cars!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/17/17 9:23 a.m.

The Alps, all of them

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/17/17 9:24 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I'd drive I-80 across Nebraska 4 times in a row. After that I'd probably welcome autonomous cars!

Once across Nebraska is enough for that.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/17/17 9:35 a.m.

i would probably pick Hwy 2 (Angeles Crest Hwy) and other fun surrounding highways out in Cali. I haven't been on a whole lot of 'famous' driving roads but i can say i truly enjoyed Hwy 2, awesome winding mountain road with fantastic scenery.

photo IMG_1602.jpg

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/17/17 9:35 a.m.

Nurburgring then drive to Spa Francorchamps and if time permits, Monaco before the transport turns into a pumpkin

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
5/17/17 9:42 a.m.

My last drive? IT wouldn't be a V8 Miata. IT would be a boxy lifted 1-ton burb with an allison/d-max swap, 50 gallon fuel tank, roof rack, bed in the back and I'm driving as far north as the world will let me in Alaska... from Indiana.

If it had to be a V8 miata, I'm thinking a coast to coast dash ala cannonball.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/17/17 9:48 a.m.

If fear that this trip is a trap of The Oppressors.
They are testing me to see if my mind is right and I have conformed. As such, they want my answer to be, "why would I want to risk the unsafe conditions of actually driving myself."

Blaise
Blaise Reader
5/17/17 9:51 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: My last drive? IT wouldn't be a V8 Miata. IT would be a boxy lifted 1-ton burb with an allison/d-max swap, 50 gallon fuel tank, roof rack, bed in the back and I'm driving as far north as the world will let me in Alaska... from Indiana.

Don't need a modified anything for that. Alaskan roads are either totally driveable with a normal truck with good tires... or just nonexistent (and you need a bush plane).

That being said, it's great up there :) Denali highway:

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
5/17/17 9:56 a.m.
Blaise wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: My last drive? IT wouldn't be a V8 Miata. IT would be a boxy lifted 1-ton burb with an allison/d-max swap, 50 gallon fuel tank, roof rack, bed in the back and I'm driving as far north as the world will let me in Alaska... from Indiana.
Don't need a modified anything for that. Alaskan roads are either totally driveable with a normal truck with good tires... or just nonexistent (and you need a bush plane). That being said, it's great up there :)

Sure you don't need it. I want it. It can be your bed, your vehicle etc.

EDIT: Did I mention an almost 1000 mile range?

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
5/17/17 10:06 a.m.

+1 for the AlCan highway

Blaise
Blaise Reader
5/17/17 10:09 a.m.
stafford1500 wrote: +1 for the AlCan highway

Strongly suggest the Cassiar. Much more scenic, less traffic, etc. Do it!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
5/17/17 10:11 a.m.

Assuming no one uses the roads, one last true Red Ball to Portifino run to see if it can be done in 24 hours.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
5/17/17 10:38 a.m.

I would stay right here. First: Blast some sweeping backroad corners and slide around some dirt roads early early in the morning, then hit a track day at Waterford Hills, cruise to dinner in Milford scaring pedestrians with v8 sounds, after that I'd break into the GM proving ground and do laps on the speed loop for awhile, and finally I'd take a lonely lesiurely drive under the stars until morning.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/17/17 10:52 a.m.

Road America.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/17/17 10:52 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: Nurburgring then drive to Spa Francorchamps and if time permits, Monaco before the transport turns into a pumpkin

this is about it............

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
5/17/17 11:13 a.m.

Logging roads

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
5/17/17 12:04 p.m.

Give me 30 sets of tires, I'm headed to Ebisu.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit PowerDork
5/17/17 12:06 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: Nurburgring then drive to Spa Francorchamps and if time permits, Monaco before the transport turns into a pumpkin

Plus Le Mans.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert HalfDork
5/17/17 12:09 p.m.

In and around the Santa Cruz Mountains in California. I'd rather drive familiar roads one last time than go somewhere new.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/17/17 12:27 p.m.

My last drive, ideally, would be in my own neighborhood but without cops or other cars. Roads that I am very familiar with, no other cars or red lights or lanes to deal with, would be a blast. I could finally get to work or the store or wherever in the time it should actually take.

Failing that, it would be through winding PA/OH back roads in fall. Looking in the rearview and seeing a flurry of red, orange and yellow leaves swirling around in my wake is one of my favorite things.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WfnxCsGSS8X1Y4jHzR1mZOQGn37xt78CDshPBUCGomWrx5VPQcofcGLCQ152N5oM