secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/23/18 3:13 p.m.

Went to the local EV Week gathering yesterday and saw the Hyundai Ioniq.  Seems like a good fit for our next vehicle and the 29 mile electric range on the plug-in would mean almost no gas for the daily commute.  Dealer's representative noted that they did not sell the plug-in or EV versions because they don't have certified techs and Hyundai won't let them order those without certified techs.  I asked if they were planning to correct that short coming and was told no and that there wasn't enough "interest" (in a vehicle they don't stock and thus cannot sell) in the South...So looking at Hyundai's website, you can search within 50 miles of a zip code and I have tried zips from reasonably sized cities in VA, NC, SC and GA to no avail.  So where do you have to live to get a plug-in Ioniq? Or is there a better way to find "authorized" dealers for the plug-in version?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/23/18 6:46 p.m.

wow.. that is self defeating.. nobody will buy this car because we don't sell it, we won't sell it because nobody is buying it.

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/23/18 6:48 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Yeah, don't think the salesman caught on to what I was getting at...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
9/23/18 7:55 p.m.
secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/23/18 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I guess that could be it, but the regular hybrid version appears to be readily available.  I was just looking at Kia's website and their plug-in CUV (Edit:  Niro is the model name) using the same engine, trans & electrics is in stock in Long Island and Vermont (3 cars total within 1000 miles of Columbia, SC...).

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
9/23/18 8:38 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

*on Long Island

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/23/18 9:20 p.m.

I can vaguely understand the reticence to invest in specialized equipment that will sit in the corner of the shop taking up space and maybe take years to pay for itself. The only personal experience I have that somewhat relates to this was i got shown the Leaf toolbox at a Nissan dealer and it certainly looked like it was collecting dust. Even if they sell the cars they may just not break enough to 'justify' buying in on the service side. 

I hope you can find a fair shot at the Ioniq, it seems like a pretty good product from what i've read. I take it more seriously as a 'Prius Alternative' than I did the 2g Insight, for example. 

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/24/18 4:47 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Grammar shmammer... ;)

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/24/18 4:51 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Local dealers have the "normal" hybrid version, but the base plug in hybrid model would actually be less than the base hybrid after the federal tax credit and would allow me nearly eliminate gasoline use on my commute. Seems like a no brainer if I could get it...

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/24/18 11:14 a.m.

My nearest Hyundai dealer had a full electric Ionic in stock about a month ago. A generous gov't rebate recently ended here, so a sales person said they're having trouble moving them now. No idea how to identify dealers who might have the plug in version. They seem like good cars for their category.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/24/18 3:55 p.m.

I checked the local dealer here, only one Ioniq in stock, not a plug in..

who writes this stuff?

This is the vehicle for you if you're looking to get great gas mileage on your way to work* Barrels of fun!!! Priced below MSRP!!! What a value!! Are you searching for a car that you don't have to wonder if it will start in the morning? Well, this 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid SEL will have you excited to pick-up even your mother-in-law..

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/24/18 4:04 p.m.

Many times special fuel economy models are only available in certain states.   I know the natural gas Civic was only available in California and select north east states (at least when I did the factory training that was the case).  The Fiat 500 BEV was a California only model.  To the best of my knowledge all the hydrogen cell vehicles are California only too.  I was curious if the plug in Ioniq was the same way, and that appears to be the case.  Looks like its CA, OR, VE, NY, ME, CT, RI, MA, NJ, MD only.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dB3OyvbpYNuPdmeKlkoIe1HqRCb5dhJk9QwCj0pobC669cYhPOL7RfqHoWuzjpvN