pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/4/20 5:56 p.m.

Anyone have any experience with a Hyundai Kona or Tucson. Looking for reliable front wheel drive sub compact SUV. Probably preowned. Needs to be towable either four wheel down or front wheel drive on a dolly.  Would like to stay under 3500 lbs, the lighter the better.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
8/4/20 6:06 p.m.

My SO has one and loves it.   No problems as far as I know.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/4/20 8:34 p.m.

Watching this as both the Kona and Kia Soul are on my short list to replace my MINI.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 8:39 p.m.

I like the Kona, it's funky looking without being hard on the eyes

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/5/20 10:59 a.m.

Anyone else?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/5/20 12:57 p.m.

I don't know anyone with one that dislikes either. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/5/20 2:47 p.m.

In recent years we've owned 3 new Kias and cross-shopped similar Hyundai models (which we liked but didn't pick).  Had good experiences with each crossover we owned (Sorento, Soul, Sedona) and with our Kia/Hyundai dealer. 

FWIW, each time we started our search by looking for gently used cars we ended up buying new cars for similar money, due to factory/dealer/Costco incentives.

BLRB
BLRB New Reader
8/7/20 11:34 a.m.

My ex had a late model Kia Sportage which I believe is the sister car to the Tucson.  She was not very nice to it and it was still reliable(very long OCI's).  It was a great road trip car and my first experience with modern Hyundai/Kia products.  I was impressed with how it was put together.  The dealer visits for minor warranty work was not a great experience with Kia.  Not sure if its the same with Hyundai.

I spent a week in a rental Kona and it was also nice, but much smaller.  If you need size or plan to do a lot of road trips I'd recommend the Tucson.  Kona handled very well in comparison to the Sportage/Tucson.

I'm kinda excited about the Kona N.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/8/20 6:31 a.m.

Is the Hyundai Venue too small? Those are alright looking..

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/20 11:22 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Is the Hyundai Venue too small? Those are alright looking..

The venue is only 5 inches shorter and an inch more narrow than the Kona, but has between 26 and 54 HP less.  not exactly a good difference in size, but a huge difference in power.  It's also only $3000ish cheaper.  Not sure why Hyundai even bothered.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PPpc5PThXsJMHyVb4ew6FPyJZ5IsQE3dxMjL8859rLzgOWpv1iJTrIEJ2ezgcqo3