1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/11/21 1:38 p.m.

Yah, I don't like the idea of poison.  Good old fashioned spring traps baited with peanut butter.  A lot of the traps are more effective with a trigger job, so they trip very easily. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
5/11/21 2:24 p.m.

We haven't had a problem with mice or rats around or in the house. I imagine the birds of prey, fox and coyotes in the area keep them down.  Living in the woods we have a ton of squirrels. The interesting thing is they chewed on the daily driver and not the cars that sit more. I didn't see any evidence on the other vehicles.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/12/21 5:10 p.m.

Oh, I despise squirrels.  One decided to chew a hole in my gutter guard last fall so he could make a home in the gutter.  Repeatedly.  I finally had to warn the neighbors that I had to shoot him with the high velocity pellet gun, so they didn't think I was going bonkers with a real gun and call the police.  So far, no other squirrels have stepped up to avenge him.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
5/12/21 9:17 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

I live out in the country on 5 acres connected to 10 acre plot owned by family. I could just get out my 10/22 and start eliminating squirrels during the season. Then I remember that I now have tremors in both hands, and probably couldn't hit a squirrel anyway.

Rons
Rons HalfDork
5/12/21 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield 

Would a .410 Shotgun do the trick?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
5/13/21 7:40 a.m.

Rat snake doing the Mission: Impossible act

These are also effective, but harder to keep in your garage and more likely to get stuck under the hood than a cat. I'm not sure how you'd attract them, but you could try leaving a few raw eggs out.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
5/13/21 7:43 a.m.

My father puts a hurting on the squirrels on the farm every year to keep them from eating all the pecans.

The biggest pests out there are actually deer. We have 4 hunters that hunt the place every season. They usually get 5-6 of them. Even with that they still destroy acres of crops every planting season. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/13/21 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

these might help. 

I have them in 22, 22 mag, and 357. 

Good for small game and snakes under 4 feet, helps counter some of that shakiness too.

A 4 foot copperhead will barely flinch when shot in the face with the 357 version from 6 feet away.

As a bonus, they won't penetrate walls as much as regular bullets, I keep my 357s loaded alternating these and Hollow points. Double duty, pest control and home defense.

car39
car39 Dork
5/13/21 8:31 a.m.

I live in a raised beach house.  I've had to chase squirrels out of my support columns and 4 of my neighbors.  I had approximately 200 bats living in the walls of a closet, $1500 to have them removed.  Don't ask about having to open a wall to shovel 5 gallons of bat poop for removal.  I feel your pain about small furry squatters

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
5/13/21 12:52 p.m.

The .22 shotshells or the .410 would help offset the shakiness, or I could just on the days my tremors are barely there.  I have determined that all of the cute furry woodland creatures can become a problem given the right opportunity. They can dig burrows in the yard, make nest in inappropriate locations, and decide to gnaw on things that you don't want gnawed. I usually try to keep them away in a humane manner, but this experience was frustrating on a higher level. However, I am also glad because it could have been a lot worse and definitely more expensive.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
5/13/21 2:13 p.m.

What happened to the build thread for the automated mouse gun.  Thru beam sensor, compressed air, valve, pencil erasers?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yynhkVsFedKGgOKz1GTsHHenmss577FzJgkm7bsP8umjuolRCQvHnfU16UuPwRtD