231 tcase (part time 4x4)
Brand new General "Grabber" tires
A recently installed uhaul hitch and wiring kit
186k miles
Inspected until July

Seems to be mechanically sound, although it's losing brake fluid somewhere

Rust situation is surprisingly good

It's neat being able to climb under it without ramps/jackstands

THE BAD: stereotypical stoner car. It smells like cheetos. Going to drop it off at a pro detailer and see what happens. One mismatched wheel, kind of lolzy. No rear wiper arm. Awkward

The GOOD: everything else and I paid $1300 for it

I guess I'll post better pics later

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
10/8/12 2:28 a.m.

I need a deal like this on one of these after I unload my crappy one.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
10/8/12 5:47 a.m.

Its amazing how cheap these go for. Good score.

RossD
RossD UberDork
10/8/12 7:22 a.m.

Whatever you do, don't click here. You're wallet will hate me.

HindsFeet
HindsFeet HalfDork
10/8/12 7:28 a.m.

Congrats! I had one with General Grabbers a few years ago. I would buy one again. Take care of the cooling system and be careful of blown head gasket. The 2000-2001 was prone to cracked heads because they were different design than previous years. You've got me looking on craigslist again, thanks

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/8/12 8:11 a.m.

Already trying to keep the mouse cursor away from the buy button on an OME 2.5" lift and rear spare carrier

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
10/8/12 8:16 a.m.

I have had my eye out for one of those for a while and around my part of NE they are either crazy $$$$ or complete piles that are not worth scrap value. Good score!!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/8/12 8:51 a.m.

I've always loved these later Cherokee's, but hte trouble is, whenever I see XJ, I assume I'm going to see some varient of this:

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/8/12 8:53 a.m.

Whoa... mine is a 2000 with 185k miles on it right now... same specs, and SAME COLOR.

Well... i suppose i have foglights.

Enjoy it! They're awesome trucks!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/8/12 8:54 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I've always loved these later Cherokee's, but hte trouble is, whenever I see XJ, I assume I'm going to see some varient of this:

Me too. I was coming in to laugh at and congratulate the poor sucker who bought one...

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/8/12 8:56 a.m.

It was way better watching Curtis's head explode over the internet when i posted a thread about "Towing with my XJ."

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
10/8/12 10:59 a.m.

Geez, I guess I shoulda asked more money for mine. It had new front brakes, new passenger front axle, new tires, tune up, 132000 miles. Somewhat bad white paint and some small surface rust here and there, sold it to a friend for $2000...

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/8/12 11:04 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Geez, I guess I shoulda asked more money for mine. It had new front brakes, new passenger front axle, new tires, tune up, 132000 miles. Somewhat bad white paint and some small surface rust here and there, sold it to a friend for $2000...

Later clean XJs are still worth surprising amounts of money.

I paid $3000 for mine with zero rust, clean interior, perfect mechanical condition, with 172k miles. From what i've seen, that was actually a deal.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/8/12 11:20 a.m.

I bought this one for about 1/2 to 1/3 of what people were asking locally for others in worse mechanical condition.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/8/12 1:34 p.m.

<------- I love mine

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
10/8/12 1:37 p.m.

I mean, it's no Isuzu Trooper. But I mean, you know, I still respect you bro. Kinda sorta.

Enjoy your unibody car/truck things. I guess they're like Ridgelines, and those are good, right?

RossD
RossD UberDork
10/8/12 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

What's an "EE-zoo-zoo"?

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
10/8/12 1:49 p.m.

Bah good catch. I've been eyeing XJs for a few weeks now. Looking for something cheap, reliable, and spacious. Maybe I'll be able to find a deal like that too.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/8/12 1:51 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Bah good catch. I've been eyeing XJs for a few weeks now. Looking for something cheap, reliable, and spacious. Maybe I'll be able to find a deal like that too.

They aren't a spacious as you'd think, they're actually pretty small trucks, but the other two requirements are definitely fulfilled.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/8/12 1:56 p.m.

It's about the smallest interior I could handle. Believe it or not, my 89 civic si hatches were both much larger inside.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/8/12 2:48 p.m.

Mind blown at how easy it is to replace the ignition cylinder in this car. Dear god. Mine is faulty, and it looks like you can pull it out in seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfp4fjFL8I4

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
10/8/12 3:00 p.m.

What do these get for real life MPG?

They seem to be as common as dirt around here, but sub-20 mpg would be a deal killer for me. Could I even hope for 22-24 mpg in mixed use or is that delusional?

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/8/12 3:25 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: What do these get for real life MPG? They seem to be as common as dirt around here, but sub-20 mpg would be a deal killer for me. Could I even hope for 22-24 mpg in mixed use or is that delusional?

I can't tell you myself but it sounds like 17 mixed is more likely.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
10/8/12 3:47 p.m.

I got around 15-16 from mine. Damn, sounds like I could've gotten $4-5000 out of mine, it'd been in the family for 18 years.

RossD
RossD UberDork
10/8/12 4:05 p.m.

I was happy when I eeked out 19 mpg on a tank.

EDIT: It was an automatic, and I had slightly oversized BFGoodies All-Terrains.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rgCIKVK9W6pvu0rYzNEjobSmrrdHMUwSEWM2Ki2P4422VtvGj8GaKfYHiCFTRA9c