1 2 3 4
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
10/8/12 4:12 p.m.

I've gotten 325 miles out of a tank a couple times. I don't know exactly what that calculates out to MPG wise, but I've been told by other XJ owners that they're lucky if they get 300 out of theirs.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/8/12 4:36 p.m.

I use to average around 20 mpg highway in my stock 1994 2 door 4X4. Winter sucked and it would get 13 mpg city and my best ever was 25 mpg.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/8/12 4:41 p.m.

I've been getting 21-22 mpg the last few tanks.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/8/12 7:37 p.m.

I think that me and you must have like minds. Except mine is long gone after I was close to suicide dealing with the Renix system and just gave it up. Luckily you don't have Renix

Make sure to check UNDER the back seat. That's where mind had totally rusted through - couldn't see it from the outside, but opened up the seat and underneath it was pure rust covered with undercoat!

when I bought it: redneck special

then got some stock wheels and more civilized sized tires

then had some fun with it and did most of what I wanted to do before selling it. Great truck, but it became expendable once my wife bought a new 4Runner that could do everything better (albeit at 10 times the price, lol). Still miss it sometimes.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
10/8/12 7:38 p.m.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

you callin me a redneck?

I can live with the 16-17 mpg since it only cost me $1200

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/8/12 7:46 p.m.
vdubinsd wrote: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App you callin me a redneck? I can live with the 16-17 mpg since it only cost me $1200

nah, I was calling it redneck because of the fake beadlocks, the massive lift blocks on the rear leafs, and the 32's that fouled the fenders (which had not been trimmed). As well as the pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview when I got it :)

Also it had the worst death-wobble EVER.....first time I drove it on the highway I thought it was going to shake into a million pieces, soooooo violent. If fixed all that, but the p/o had just used it to clown around in farm fields and such.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
10/8/12 7:55 p.m.

If I hear one more person tell me I can fit bigger tires I'm gonna kick em in the nuts....

I grabbed it as soon as it came out on craigslist, and it works

All kinds of travel (w/out sway bar connected) and an impressive build list-AX 15, Dana 44 w trac loc mounted SOA, NP231-beat to hell body but no rust anywhere-and amazingly no death wobble at all....

I will deal with the renix for that!

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/9/12 3:50 p.m.

Anyone have an XJ parts truck around? I might want to bug you for some stuff. Especially a non-smelly carpet!

NGTD
NGTD Dork
10/9/12 8:28 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Anyone have an XJ parts truck around? I might want to bug you for some stuff. Especially a non-smelly carpet!

Fabreeze the crap out of it, if you don't find one.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
10/9/12 8:59 p.m.

Weird. Mine must be an anomaly. Mine can easily go 400 miles on a tank and gets ~25mpg (highway, of course) pretty consistently. It is a 5 speed, but kinda hard to believe the mileage would be THAT much better for that reason only. Tires are 235-75s.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/9/12 9:27 p.m.
carzan wrote: Weird. Mine must be an anomaly. Mine can easily go 400 miles on a tank and gets ~25mpg (highway, of course) pretty consistently. It is a 5 speed, but kinda hard to believe the mileage would be THAT much better for that reason only. Tires are 235-75s.

The 5 speeds are MUCH longer geared. MUCH.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/9/12 10:21 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
carzan wrote: Weird. Mine must be an anomaly. Mine can easily go 400 miles on a tank and gets ~25mpg (highway, of course) pretty consistently. It is a 5 speed, but kinda hard to believe the mileage would be THAT much better for that reason only. Tires are 235-75s.

I may have a chance to trade my e30 for a 93 xj loaded with a 5 speed. I'll probably take it and pick the better of the two.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 8:51 a.m.
Taiden wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
I may have a chance to trade my e30 for a 93 xj loaded with a 5 speed. I'll probably take it and pick the better of the two.

Normally i like a manual in everything. The XJ is not one of those things. The auto is a far better transmission.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 8:51 a.m.

Waitaminute...

Is there a factory option bigger tank that i don't know about?

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
10/10/12 9:44 a.m.

there was a 21 gallon tank option

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 10:05 a.m.
scooterfrog wrote: there was a 21 gallon tank option

Oh. I want that.

Although i did find an aftermarket 30.5 gallon tank yesterday that i'm lusting after at the moment.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/10/12 11:51 a.m.

30 gallon tank?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 11:57 a.m.
Taiden wrote: 30 gallon tank?

Don't get too excited, it's $800.

But that doesn't stop me from wanting it.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/10/12 12:24 p.m.

with a 30 gal tank I might be able to fill up only once a week

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 12:35 p.m.
EricM wrote: with a 30 gal tank I might be able to fill up only once a week

With a 30 gallon tank under normal usage, barring trips or anything else, we'd fill it up 6x a year.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/10/12 1:11 p.m.

I just got really sad when I found out the eaton e-locker wasn't available for the Chrysler 8.25" rear end.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 1:14 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I just got really sad when I found out the eaton e-locker wasn't available for the Chrysler 8.25" rear end.

Are you SURE yours has a Chrysler rear end? Mine has a Dana... From what i understand, if it has ABS, it has a Dana.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/10/12 1:41 p.m.

IIRC the later XJs all have the Chrysler unless it's towing package then it got a Dana 44

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 2:07 p.m.
Taiden wrote: IIRC the later XJs all have the Chrysler unless it's towing package then it got a Dana 44

Not from what i've found... Mine has a Dana 35 and ABS. Seems for 97-01 only non-ABS had the Chrysler and the 44 wasn't available after 1990.

The good news if you have a Chrysler 8.25 is that a rear disc conversion will be REALLY easy for you.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/10/12 3:05 p.m.

I thought the 8.25 in an XJ was a very rare stopgap measure? When I was tasked with sourcing the bearing and seal kit for one it didn't come up in any of the parts books. We ended up ordering the bearing kit from Summit and getting axle seals for a 99 dodge half ton.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vmvThU8gwno9zwcBLgBnN6LosvuZvbGwBO3jZI1SRehoyYYiTCbbYcNxFmDdU08R