Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/28/19 9:44 p.m.

LR tire went flat with no warning. Turns out the wheel has a crack on the inside lip. How do you fix that? Sigh. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/28/19 10:07 p.m.

I had a 993 wheel do something similar.  I took it to a wheel restoration shop and they welded it up.  I can’t remember what it cost but it was much cheaper than a new factory wheel.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/28/19 10:10 p.m.

Yeah, my wife's CX-9 had the same deal....tire was losing air and I found a crack on the inner barrel (it has 20" wheels). Took it to a wheel hop and for like $50 they welded it up and remounted the tire. Has been fine for the couple years since it was done.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/29/19 8:10 a.m.

Buy another wheel.  They're easy to find used and relatively cheap

Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/29/19 9:26 a.m.

Seems a good excuse for some nice aftermarket wheels to me. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/29/19 9:35 a.m.

I've had them welded and also just grabbed replacements.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/29/19 12:29 p.m.

Boxster wheels are cheap! My 986s had two cracks while I waited for Kinesis to build my Supercups. That’s why they sell on Craigslist for about the same money as a good repair.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/29/19 1:10 p.m.

Phonedials seem plenty strong...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/29/19 2:13 p.m.

Don't feel bad at least it does not look like this.

The car (BMW) did not fair so well either with the inner part bouncing around in there.  The driver was able to keep it under control and did not hit anything.   Yes we here in New England take our potholes very seriously.  Only the biggest and the deepest potholes will due.   We have had a bumper crop this year of potholes.  I am wondering if the use of hot brine instead of rocksalt is the cause.    

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
3/29/19 2:17 p.m.
dean1484 said:

We have had a bumper crop this year of potholes.  I am wondering if the use of hot brine instead of rocksalt is the cause.    

I doubt it.  We get mostly rock salt in upstate NY and this year in particular, our roads look like a war zone.  I'm thinking we just had a bad year for freeze / thaw cycles.  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/11/19 2:01 p.m.

Cracked wheel update: footage with tire removed

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Horvtcp3M2KKAk5DyH7YfNHd4KY2JghirqyWogSJAnfBL6pugy1KcfbaBV5Zbf3v