9 10 11 12 13
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/22 11:38 a.m.

And to Patrick I must say, I love the 6cyl hood trim

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
7/21/22 8:33 p.m.

Any updates...? I really love this build... :)

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/30/22 11:31 a.m.

9" truck housing procured for narrowing thanks to Michael Crawford with a relay assist from Steve Stafford and EastSide Tim

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/30/22 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Do you have the alignment tools/axle measuring jigs?  You can borrow mine for as long as necessary.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/30/22 1:04 p.m.

That shock os still on there!!!!

I didn't have the right size wrench handy, and figured itd disappear before it got there....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/30/22 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

We went over this a few years ago with the wartburg, yes I have everything but very much appreciate the offer. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/30/22 3:40 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That shock os still on there!!!!

I didn't have the right size wrench handy, and figured itd disappear before it got there....

It can get chopped right off and recycled with the shock bracket and leaf perches. Have new perches to put at the correct width and lower shock mount on a 57 is part of the lower u bolt plate. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/30/22 5:46 p.m.

What ratio are you looking at......the "elevens special" (4.11-4.56)?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/30/22 6:14 p.m.

Oh yeah... for some reason I thought the Wartburg had a G body 10 bolt.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/30/22 6:58 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Have a $0 3.25 chunk and a traded for locker from Pete and a pair of speedway motors axles plus discs to go on

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/30/22 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I think 3.25 or 3.50 is pretty much perfect for a car like this.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/4/23 8:04 p.m.

Big things coming!

today I started on the transmission crossmember and made one end of the braided trans cooler lines. Had to tap the firewall to floor flange forward a little for cooler fitting clearance. The nascar boom tube exhaust isn't going to work unfortunately. Rust spots are not bad, there is some where the trunk floor meets the wheel tubs and it was smacked in the back left at some point. There is bondo oozed through holes about 18" up. 3 floor supports need replaced eventually but other than the spots directly above them the floors are extremely solid and still mostly undercoated. I'm not in a hurry to fix any of that stuff, I just want it mechanically good. 

I need to get started on the 9" here so I can get that in and order a driveshaft. Should be right in the range of ordering an off the shelf shaft from speedway motors. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/4/23 8:54 p.m.

would be amusing if the Wartburg's first driveshaft is perfect

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/5/23 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Oh no it's like 10" short. Will be in the 50-52 range probably. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/5/23 7:14 p.m.

Buddy committed to buy my 300zx whole(what's left) to turbo swap his and use all the new suspension, so I did this 

added to my watch list and they offered 10% off. After adding up new leaf springs, shackles, bushings, shocks, perches, and u bolts I was around $550 to keep leaf springs with no height adjustment other than blocks. this seemed like a no brainer. I've got some coilovers i hope work otherwise I'll get them later

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/5/23 8:11 p.m.

Nice score!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/9/23 5:08 p.m.

transmission no longer held up with ratchet strap

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/9/23 6:38 p.m.

Would that rear axle assembly work on my '91 GMT400 extcab short bed ? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/9/23 8:30 p.m.

I mean, anything can be made to work anywhere. 4 link is bare, no housing or anything. Have to narrow the 9" this week and swap in the locker to the open center section and see what kind of yokes I have laying around to order a driveshaft 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/11/23 5:32 p.m.

things are afoot. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
6/11/23 7:52 p.m.

Glad to see this project moving forward!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/12/23 7:48 p.m.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/13/23 11:10 a.m.

that crossmember looks nice

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/13/23 8:14 p.m.

mocked up. Now I get to pull it all apart and finish weld the balance of the bracketry and create some new bits to put the shock bolts in double shear because single shear mounts are for the weak. Have a hardware delivery coming friday so can't get it all done before then, but can do all the car side stuff and paint it. Waiting on some spacers for the bottom shock mounts much like I made for the Wartburg that I can turn a bevel on and locate the shock. Once those are here I can beef up those mounts with some hot double shear action too. 

have to take the carrier out of the differential also and swap in the locker plus figure and cut the axles to length, so I've got stuff to keep me busy. 

huge thanks to Trent for the assist on the springs

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/13/23 9:00 p.m.

Is a panhard bar on this install overkill.....not necessary or both?

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VeuwHrh9fOqz5KP6lvvy4xshWw2sGLxvhzR4cM4pVlZ4xI7QyQoYayzAQDLlAmi7