1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
3/30/10 9:06 p.m.
mtn wrote: Appleseed, take a look at where oldtin is located...

That's what I'm saying. How do you find these deals?

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
3/30/10 9:15 p.m.

Great. Now you made me miss my old 533i. That's just great. Thanks.

That Polizei car has the full-blown Euro bumper and valance combo; no way you're going to replicate that with the US setup without major surgery or money.

I do like the wheels on your car, and the interior is in very good shape. Paint notwithstanding, it sure looks like a daily driver to me.

minimac
minimac Dork
3/30/10 9:21 p.m.

On my old 733, I drilled a hole in the bumper 'shocks' and gently pushed the bumper against a tree. While not as cool as Euro bumpers, it doesn't stick out nearly as much as it did.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/30/10 9:30 p.m.

I tend to pick a type of car, then go pretty much obsessive, learn about it, cruise the forums and CL - when I'm ready - have a dollar target and start calling and e-mailing. Cash and a quick deal talks - and I figure for this kind of money, usually I could get it back parting it out if it turns out to be a POS. Had several low offers out there.I try not to bash on anybody's car - just let them know what I'm willing to pay. Also, airfares are pretty cheap, so for a decent deal, $50-60 for a one way ticket can expand your search. In talking to long distance sellers - a lot of times telling them you want to drive it home is pretty revealing about the condition. Also be willing to walk away if it's not the one (I dragged a trailer to KY for one - took a look, got back in truck and drove home) - there's always another deal around the corner. So far this has worked out. Last year I bought my mg for $100 - came with a spare motor and the owner didn't realize it had an OD trans - so I was $1000 ahead instantly - and be prepared to take your lumps. Went to AR to get my old bronco a few years ago - it stranded me way out in the boonies at 10pm on halloween night - 6 mile walk back to town and begged a ride to the Memphis airport (100 mi. drive) - sent a transport truck for it when I got home - expensive lesson in not waiting for the right deal, but makes for a good story.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/30/10 9:37 p.m.

Look close on the polizei car - no bumper at all - just the rub strip and valence. I think the turn signals will fit in the grill - skipping the euro valence - the rub strip hides the bumper mounting holes. Just need to find euro rub strips or something close. Maybe mount the marker lights into the side of the valence???

Luke
Luke SuperDork
3/30/10 9:56 p.m.

Nice find. That interior looks damn near mint for $750.

If it's a challenger, what are your plans for it, performance-wise?

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/30/10 10:15 p.m.

Going for reliability this try. So probably not a lot of mods - stickier tires, weight loss, lowered and either a chip or MAF conversion and squirt some paint on it. PO threw in about all the parts needed for euro headlights. I'll hit the pick n pull for a big brake upgrade (e34 or e32). It would need boost to be competitive - that or an m60 transplant, but it will be fun all the same.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/31/10 2:21 a.m.

I am jealous! I wish I had room to build a challenge car! haha

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/31/10 5:52 a.m.
oldtin wrote: There's always room for carnage pics!

BatVan carnage:

Heck of a find OldTin! Stand your ground, don't let these GRMers with no auto scavaging skill beat you out of it.

Dan

stan
stan SuperDork
3/31/10 6:57 a.m.

Nice find.

I also like your philosophy. It's amazing what you can learn about your target car these days. Lots of times you become more informed than the owner.

My problem is I can't find "that" car (or truck). I'm looking right now at: '71 Bronco and '91 Miata...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/31/10 8:00 a.m.

That's true - the genuine Euro E28 nose also has different size headlights:

Shortening the bumper shocks is a common E21 trick, too. Someone did a how-to article for my old web site, which now exists only as a local copy. I can send it to you if you're interested - should work the same on an E28.

Very nice score. Another +1 on the daily driver. That's my plan for my SE-R, which is uglier and cost me more. I think you got the better deal, and I'm not complaining about mine. That, and for motorsports I'd rather have the smaller, lighter 3 series anyway, E30 or E36 at this point.

miatame
miatame Reader
3/31/10 8:16 a.m.
WilberM3 wrote:
klipless wrote: I don't know jack about E28's, but what's that "/M" thing on the grill?
unless its an M535i its just a badge. looks pretty sweet for a 750 buck e28. love the wheels.

HEY! It's not JUST a badge!...It is the most powerful letter in the world! muhahahahaha!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/31/10 12:20 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
oldtin wrote: There's always room for carnage pics!
BatVan carnage: Heck of a find OldTin! Stand your ground, don't let these GRMers with no auto scavaging skill beat you out of it. Dan

Oh sweet jeebus!!!

Great find, OP! Now sell that interior, spares, etc., and get that budget back down to "$0!"

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
3/31/10 1:01 p.m.

I fell in love with the e28 when I saw a red 535is at Watkins Glen last year. That's a fantastic deal. Very nice. Now add boost so you can add your own carnage pics.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/31/10 1:03 p.m.

I miss mine. 88 535is. Note the wheels...

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/1/10 6:45 p.m.

Nice! I'm loving my eta codger-car e28. I'm adding my vote to those saying you should make it a daily-driver. They really are fantastic cars to live with.

Margie

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
4/1/10 8:09 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Dude that thing is really nice.... Like your attitude about car deals as well.

BBC

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
4/1/10 8:39 p.m.

FYI, there is one of these in some run down lot in Cincinnati, off of Columbia Parkway, I stopped by to look at it and it looked beat, plus it was an automatic, plus it had stupid wheels on it.....plus..... wait for it..... wait....... wait alittle longer...... here it comes...... you guess it....... the used car guy wanted $3 grand.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/1/10 9:37 p.m.
plance1 wrote: FYI, there is one of these in some run down lot in Cincinnati, off of Columbia Parkway, I stopped by to look at it and it looked beat, plus it was an automatic, plus it had stupid wheels on it.....plus..... wait for it..... wait....... wait alittle longer...... here it comes...... you guess it....... the used car guy wanted $3 grand.

THOSE are the "deals" I seem to find.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
4/1/10 10:14 p.m.

Too nice for a challenge car. Daily driver for sure!

That first roasted motor looks like a 2.5L Subaru... #4 cylinder I believe.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
4/1/10 10:21 p.m.

They're out there... here's a possibility Heated seats = cold weather package = lsd rear end. No mention of trans. Looks like metric wheels - should drive the price down

Atlanta no heat - often a valve underhood or some parts car bits and good to go or challenge fodder so no worries.

Not exactly Rockford, but the southern stuff survives better. Mine actually lived in CA except the last 6 months.

If it runs and moves there's a pretty good chance it's worth at least 1k in parts if not 2k, reducing your risk to pretty low. To a lot of folks it's just a tired old car that is staggeringly expensive to fix at the dealer, but there's plenty of grm tricks (reset the service light - non grm = $80 tool - grm approach = paper clip jumper at the service port)

Mine is doing DD duty - 10 mpg better than the suv and I'm really liking it - probably will get a sympathetic approach to the challenge.

EricM
EricM Dork
4/1/10 10:24 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Not exactly Rockford

I grew up in Rockford..........

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U5CdGNjG8R5Utu7PJ2IWJsNUdn1hV8UVgn7kQGnKYnKxS1ll4FaqBliGmmnt9Mvj