RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
10/21/12 2:52 p.m.

After asking a lot of stupid questions and looking at a lot of crapboxes, I have finally found my winter beater - a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.

It has 168K miles on the clock. The PO has had a lot of mechanical work done to it, including a new timing belt at 165K miles in May, valve cover gasket, rear control arms, rear diff seal, and so on- all receipts included. The car drives well with no leaks or smoke, it holds boost, no odd noises. Came with shifter bushings, a rear strut tower bar, and a turbo-back exhaust (it's emissions-exempt). Most of the issues with it are cosmetic - including that stupid biohazard symbol painted on the hood.

That will be replaced or repainted post-haste. Besides that, the sunroof needs a new latch, the headliner and hatch plastics/liner are missing, and the previous-previous owner also did the crappy rust repair on the fenders.

The left door also has some surface rust on the frame. It should still pass MA safety inspection. Basically, I plan to replace all the missing interior bits, get patch panels for the fenders, and try to flip the Eclipse once winter is over. Oh, and I will rallycross it at least once.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
10/21/12 3:06 p.m.

Nice, project thread time?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
10/21/12 4:07 p.m.

I will make a project thread later this week.

CSB: When my dad saw the biohazard symbol on the hood, he just shook his head. Then he told me about his first car, a Chevy Vega, and the sweet Trans-Am-style screamin' chicken it had on the hood when he bought it. Just thought that was amusing.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
10/21/12 4:15 p.m.

I for one like the Biohazard symbol.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
10/21/12 5:26 p.m.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for a plasti-dip paint job.

Goid score BTW.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
10/21/12 5:29 p.m.

The band Biohazard approves

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/21/12 5:35 p.m.

I assume you paid next to nothing for it?

That looks... pretty clean. I almost covet it.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/21/12 7:19 p.m.

Less than Challenge price. Not much less, but less. Considering some of the overprices crapboxes I've seen, I think I paid a fair price. You're not going to find much around here that costs less, passes inspection, and has all the maintenance receipts, even appliance cars. About the only abnormal thing are the missing interior panels, and that's no biggie to me considering I had to replace many of the center console panels in my N/A FC.

Secretariata
Secretariata Reader
10/21/12 7:58 p.m.

So were you or the car kicking and screaming?

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/21/12 8:00 p.m.

Neither. Though the seller might have been (he's a certified DSM nut, having owned three 1st. gens.). It was a play on the typical "Look what followed me home" posts you usually see.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/21/12 8:30 p.m.

so you are going to fix up a car that you claim you bought as a winter beater? isn't it the main point of a "beater" that you don't have to worry about making it nice and keeping it that way?

regarding the hood: Joe Dirt doesn't approve..

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
10/21/12 8:33 p.m.

love it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
10/21/12 9:04 p.m.

Man, the sunroof is huge. Nice find.

StatusPerformance
StatusPerformance New Reader
10/21/12 10:19 p.m.

Nice car, I've always liked this body style.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
10/22/12 12:00 a.m.

I hate you I have looked for one of those on and off for quite some time and I can never find one worth the $$$$ or they are complete pieces of ... . OR they are in peices as the PO takes them apart and bails

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
10/22/12 1:08 a.m.

Nice winter ride, I have always wanted a dsm

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/22/12 8:25 a.m.

Eh, biohazard warning on the hood makes sense if the emissions controls & such have been removed or disabled.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/22/12 9:37 a.m.

I'm thinking medical delivery with the biohazard symbol.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/22/12 9:46 a.m.

I have turbo awd DSM lust...nice score.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/22/12 10:05 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: so you are going to fix up a car that you claim you bought as a winter beater? isn't it the main point of a "beater" that you don't have to worry about making it nice and keeping it that way? regarding the hood: Joe Dirt doesn't approve..

He said he was going to try to flip it next spring.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
10/22/12 12:29 p.m.

Keep me in mind!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AeHope1u6zwQkDoQSqUF4uMx1cplTBNg9y0MKX2ITlOFTcnXh8QIGwn1h0YYwxhY