1 2 3
accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
1/18/23 1:48 p.m.

The future drove me?

The new tow pig is in and DAMN is it good. My only criteria was Chevy's Super Cruise w/ towing enabled - I'm planning on doing a lot more racing this year in far-away locales and I wanted the assistive tech. I ended up with a "used" Duramax straight-six (hahaha!) silverado 1500. I ordered the bugger last month and FINALLY got it last week. 

The wait was worth it. The wife-lady and I did a tiny road trip to get some furniture from a storage unit and DAMN. ~30mpg on the way down, I didn't touch the steering wheels, pedals, or anything the whole trip (nearly). Of course towing or driving fast would probably tank that number, but we stayed at a leisurely 70-72mph the whole way.

I was in rush hour the other day (slower traffic) - I found a draft buddy semi truck and just chilled behind (again, super cruise - look ma! no hands!) and managed 35mpg. Just insane. It goes down the road in silence and is just a really, really pleasant place to be. What a shock moving from my ol' f-550 tractor. Anywho - I'll report back after I do some towing. 

Other, unexpected killer feature: You can set it to set off the car alarm if anyone disconnects the trailer plug. What a good idea....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/18/23 2:49 p.m.

is this replacing your MS3?

accordionfolder
1/18/23 2:49 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yep, well ... kinda - The MS3 and the F550 rollback I have!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/18/23 2:52 p.m.

Very nice, congrats!

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
1/18/23 3:38 p.m.

You can use super cruise with a trailer? That's impressive, I had no idea it was capable of that

accordionfolder
1/18/23 3:43 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Yes! Though it won't do "automatic lane change" - you have to do the lane change yourself. The "trailer tech" features in this truck are kinda incredible. 

accordionfolder
1/18/23 3:49 p.m.

Thanks! It was nicer than I planned on going for the tow pig, but so far I can't say I regret it....

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/18/23 4:39 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I'm approaching 75. And that super cruise and all those nanny's are what I hope will extend my driving life.   
  I've seen too many people who once they lose those driving privileges  aren't long before they move into assisted living.  ( I don't care how nice it is people in them hate it)   
The cost of assisted living is $5-6,000+ a month. And you pay for it or the taxpayer  pays for it.  ( and those aren't the nice places)    We tried to take care of my wife's mother and  5 children went nuts  doing our best.  It starts out a few hours a day and turns into 24/7/365. Falls, not taking Medicine. not eating, etc. 

I super cruise or hands free driving will save lives and taxpayers money.  
 Oh and you Save big insurance money with that option. Neighbors with it say the money you save pays for the option 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
1/18/23 4:53 p.m.

So I started dreaming about new trucks after reading your l post and tried to spec a truck (for fun, I don't see me buying one). I didn't see the engine you are taking about. The only diesel I saw was a 6.6L Duramax . What am I missing here?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/18/23 4:57 p.m.
NY Nick said:

So I started dreaming about new trucks after reading your l post and tried to spec a truck (for fun, I don't see me buying one). I didn't see the engine you are taking about. The only diesel I saw was a 6.6L Duramax . What am I missing here?

The 3.0L diesel is only available on the 1500s, not the 2500 and 3500s.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/18/23 5:28 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Thanks! It was nicer than I planned on going for the tow pig, but so far I can't say I regret it....

I am jealous! All I have are Tacomas :(

accordionfolder
1/18/23 5:49 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, this one has a "piddly" 9k towing rating, but that'll be ok for me and my small racecars on open trailers. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/18/23 5:51 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You have some time before it's really viable for that purpose. Right now it's expected to have a instant handoff in case of an emergency, which is marginal for regular drivers. What you are looking for is level 4 at least and we have awhile before that's ready. 

I tried supercruse years ago in a Cadillac, plus several other ADAS systems (Tesla, Volvo, Lexus, etc) and I thought it was the best of the bunch. The driver alerts and monitoring are fairly robust and prevent overreliance (Tesla) andnit does a good job getting down the road well, unlike many of the other offerings. I need to get some time in some of the newest tech soon.

accordionfolder
1/18/23 5:55 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Very much agreed - this is the first generation of the tech and it's very good. Not without it's faults, but definitely the best of the breed in driving assistance (consumer reports agrees). 

Nothing is more "hairy" than driving home after exhausting myself at the track - the main reason I wanted this was hoping that I can get more out of my race days without the drive home taking my last 3% of what I have left. The preliminary results are really good, but I'll report back when we get down to the task of actually pulling a race car! 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/18/23 5:55 p.m.

I looked at the 3l Chevy and GMC before I bought my Touareg. They were a bit more than I wanted to spend. 

Looking forward to updates on how it holds up long term as one of those might be my next vehicle. 

accordionfolder
1/18/23 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

It does need a bit more refinement for sure, but I think it's well on it's way to becoming a reliable piece of kit. Like adaptive cruise before it, if you understand it and it's limitations it becomes a powerful tool in preserving your concentration until you actually need it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/18/23 6:00 p.m.

Last year when I borrowed a new Ram Diesel 2500 from a friend, to tow 4 land cruisers from Reno to Los Angeles through the mountainous curvy snowy roads - wonder if auto cruise would have done that.

Would have saved me lots of white knuckle driving to make a buck.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/18/23 6:04 p.m.

Snow, or even a decent rain event is outside the operational design domain of pretty much every system out there. You could get into a very bad situation very quickly pushing it too far on that.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/18/23 6:13 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

You have some time before it's really viable for that purpose. Right now it's expected to have a instant handoff in case of an emergency, which is marginal for regular drivers. What you are looking for is level 4 at least and we have awhile before that's ready. 

Where "some time" means "at least 20 years".  We are closer to fusion power than we are to the level of AI required for a true self-driving car.

accordionfolder
1/18/23 6:17 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Even this level of driver assistance has had an incredible impact on driver and pedestrian safety. It's why insurance companies love it. 

Even the much earlier systems are rockstars. 

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/subaru-crash-avoidance-system-cuts-pedestrian-crashes

accordionfolder
1/18/23 6:20 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Though, more to the point, Waymo has plenty of problems as well, but they're already doing just fine in several major cities.

accordionfolder
1/18/23 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Will do, I'm still a bit nervous about the newness of the total drivetrain package relatively speaking, but here's to hoping! Certified pre-owned at least means I get the extended factory warranty....

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
1/18/23 6:48 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I'll try again tomorrow. I thought I tried 1500 first and only had the option of 2.7 or gas v8. 
Not that it matters much. I'm married to my current truck for a while. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/18/23 6:57 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Snow, or even a decent rain event is outside the operational design domain of pretty much every system out there. You could get into a very bad situation very quickly pushing it too far on that.

Ah ok!

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/18/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

According to the build and price page you have to get the higher trims.  LT and up.  The 3.0 is not offered in WT or custom trim packages.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pjD7OyaSU1vDKdkAvXxX8G3ria4Cg6YhGdoiO6VJgdWPtuE1QCHoG3tiTMfFO0Hp