1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
1/5/19 7:54 p.m.

A friend emailed me yesterday and asked if I wanted a free car that hasn't run since mid 2016 and has a broken windshield.  We transferred the title before I ever even saw the thing.  Now it's in my garage, and it's so berkeleying hideous that I feel like I paid too much: 

It's a 98 Camry with less than 100k miles on it.  And I made it run already.  It is by far the least cool thing I have ever owned.  Hooray?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/5/19 7:57 p.m.

Clean up and flip?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/5/19 7:57 p.m.

Did you buy Mark's yellow MR2 out of Ohio? Cool. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/5/19 8:03 p.m.

For the Camry, if it runs it will sell quickly.  If it doesn't run, it will sell quickly too, just for much less. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
1/5/19 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

With a thorough once-over, that's the plan.  Maybe drive for a while if something else in the fleet takes a dump.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
1/5/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It is indeed that MR2, and it has been excellent- I plan to fix what little rust it has and continue enjoying it. You're basically looking at the "Toyotas I paid the right amount for" section of the garage cheeky

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
1/5/19 8:16 p.m.

I sold one for my daughter. It had 200k on it and had been t-boned. The driver's side door opened and it drove OK. Put it on Craigslist and sold it the next day for $400.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
1/5/19 8:19 p.m.

Whiteline front and rear sway bars and call it a day. Mine was lowered on Eibach springs with KYBs and it handled far better than a grocery getter should. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/5/19 8:20 p.m.

Toyotas must have gold plating somewhere that everyone else in the world is aware of except for me.  I once sold a Matrix with 150k miles that had been run out of oil and wouldn't go more than 10 mph, and the dashboard was lit up like the Griswold house, for $1500.  

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/5/19 8:39 p.m.

My sister had a base model 94 Camry (manual locks/windows , no cruise, etc.).  Bought from a family friend for $1000.  Car blew a head gasket (ran fine, no coolant in oil but drank coolant).  Sold for $1100 with issues disclosed. 

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
1/5/19 8:54 p.m.

When I was getting people wanting the wrecked pos the day after I posted it I figured I didn't ask enough money for it.I based my price on what I thought I would get at the junk yard. Who knew?

gunner
gunner HalfDork
1/5/19 9:28 p.m.

It certainly seems that if a car is under a certain amount of asking price it will bring out the flippers right and left. It seems to be somewhere south of 1k depending on your location. I paid 800 for a 2000 f150 with about 190k miles on it, put new tires and a new front end on it myself, new brake rotors and pads and front bearings, would have gotten out of it ok except the junkyard trans it came with went out about 5000 miles later. after a 1500 dollar rebuilt trans I sold it for 1500 bucks. I had bought a used wheel and put on of the junk tires it had on it as a spare and about 6 months before I sold it some crackhead clipped the retention clip on the spare holder and walked off with it. I left the can of fix a flat in the cab of the truck that I bought just in case after that incident. At least when I sold it the truck went to a guy that just needed a cheap truck for construction work. That made me feel good. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/5/19 9:59 p.m.

We all know you like the oddball stuff. Clearly this is just your master plan to build a 98 Camry stage rally car, because that would be far weirder than a merkur. 

EDIT: use it for recce at WMWR.

bluej
bluej UberDork
1/6/19 12:14 a.m.

Chris's to-do list:

• Cut fenders
  • Rubbermaid flares
  • 50% increase in spring rate and height
  • Taller wheels/tires
  • Never brake for anything again

Edit: Indy-Guy made the perfect suggestion below!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/6/19 7:25 a.m.

...or go ice racing.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/6/19 7:30 a.m.

Gambler 500 for the win !

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/6/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

That is a great idea!

ZOO
ZOO UltraDork
1/6/19 10:40 a.m.

Engine swap with the MR2?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/13/19 9:00 a.m.

So... how much easier is it to sell a boring, normal people car than an interesting weirdo car?  Here's a comparison of the last two cars I sold, both with an initial asking price of $2500:

1995 BMW 318ti
187k miles
Manual transmission
Time to sell: 6 months
Sale price: $1700

1998 Toyota Camry
96k miles
Automatic transmission
Time to sell: -1 day (literally sold as I was taking pictures to list it)
Sale price: $2000

Yes, the Camry sold before I could even list it- the mechanic who inspected it pulled up as I was taking photos, asked how much I was asking for it, then asked if I would take $2k.  Car literally sold in negative one day.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/13/19 9:14 a.m.

How do you say "Volkswagen" in Japanese?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
3/13/19 9:37 a.m.

NICE!

johndej
johndej HalfDork
3/13/19 9:47 a.m.
docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/13/19 9:49 a.m.

Not a surprise that a manual transmission car with twice the mileage that doesn't have the rock like reliability of a Camry took much longer to sell...

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/13/19 9:34 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

So... how much easier is it to sell a boring, normal people car than an interesting weirdo car?  Here's a comparison of the last two cars I sold, both with an initial asking price of $2500:

1995 BMW 318ti
187k miles
Manual transmission
Time to sell: 6 months
Sale price: $1700

1998 Toyota Camry
96k miles
Automatic transmission
Time to sell: -1 day (literally sold as I was taking pictures to list it)
Sale price: $2000

Yes, the Camry sold before I could even list it- the mechanic who inspected it pulled up as I was taking photos, asked how much I was asking for it, then asked if I would take $2k.  Car literally sold in negative one day.

Your garage looks much better now without the Camry parked there :)

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/13/19 10:23 p.m.

Who would've thought 5 or even 10 years ago that a 98 Camry would be worth more than scrap metal 21 years later?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dNm2mTfS6F5aU8l4wBpbMbiCWZHBT5jO2kBQflOqu5ROTsX7IIU9L5fNm0q7DxKt