1 2
Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/18/09 9:08 p.m.

Some of you might remember I did a bit of work on a Midget a while back. Set up the carbs (sorta), adjust the valves, fix the dizzy wiring. Well, in part exchange, I got a 1969 MGB GT parts car.

I've seen this guy's "driver" GT, so I didn't expect much. I certainly didn't expect this. Other than the engine (and non-functional brakes), it's a complete car. There are some small bubbles in the sills but nothing terrible - certainly not the gaping holes you usually expect with a free MG. The seats are banged up and the armrest is missing but the dash and instruments are good. Paint's terrible but, well, that's how paint gets around here.

I feel kinda bad. I was going to use this for parts for the LS conversion. But I can't help thinking I shouldn't take too much. I don't want to kill this car completely and someone could bring it back. I even got a title for it.

Since it was given to me in part exchange for some work, what would FMV be for the Challenge? Just wondering...

Of course, I'm still going to use it. Between hacking up a rust-free California blue-plate car, destroying a 98 Camaro and this thing, the purists are going to come after me with torches. The end result had better be good.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/18/09 9:41 p.m.

Looking nice.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
8/18/09 9:42 p.m.

Well what ever you do good luck/nice score!

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
8/18/09 9:47 p.m.

I think FMV would be whatever an average hourly rate is for someone to do that type of work times the hours you spent doing the work.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/18/09 10:11 p.m.

ugh... somebody put one of those aweful sunroofs in it.

A roll back "ragtop" style sunroof would be better and more vintage looking

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/18/09 10:12 p.m.

Damn, that's nice for free! The Caddy's not too shabby either. Is that a '66?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/18/09 10:19 p.m.

Congrats! You're the first person to ID the year of the Caddy! EVER. Even a guy with a 65 - the only other model year to share that body, with detail changes in the lights - couldn't figure it. Anyhow, it's a Cali black plater with a repaint that failed under the Colorado sun. I'll spray it again someday, then it will be cool once more.

The sunroof on the MG is actually fairly well executed, but I doubt it'll get transferred to the keeper car.

Hourly price for the work, minus the actual money I made I assume? Hmm, I have a pretty big budget left for the Challenge then. All I need is a cheap Mustang GT ragtop...

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
8/18/09 11:01 p.m.

I'd get it running and then sell it. Let a few more people enjoy it before it goes to a rusty grave.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
8/18/09 11:06 p.m.

I would like to see some more of the caddy..

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade New Reader
8/18/09 11:28 p.m.
plance1 wrote: I would like to see some more of the caddy..

I think the proper term here is "+1".

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
8/19/09 1:19 a.m.

Now just find an engine fire 5.3, and the accessories and wiring from a cash for clunkers one, and build a low budget version of the one you are already bulding.

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
8/19/09 2:02 a.m.
Keith wrote: Congrats! You're the first person to ID the year of the Caddy! EVER. Even a guy with a 65 - the only other model year to share that body, with detail changes in the lights - couldn't figure it. Anyhow, it's a Cali black plater with a repaint that failed under the Colorado sun. I'll spray it again someday, then it will be cool once more. The sunroof on the MG is actually fairly well executed, but I doubt it'll get transferred to the keeper car. Hourly price for the work, minus the actual money I made I assume? Hmm, I have a pretty big budget left for the Challenge then. All I need is a cheap Mustang GT ragtop...

Does that mean a 5.0 in the MG? Way cool.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
8/19/09 7:06 a.m.
Keith wrote: All I need is a cheap Mustang GT ragtop...

I thought I got the concept (5.0 swap to the MG) but then why a ragtop?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
8/19/09 7:29 a.m.

So let me see if I misunderstood this correctly:

Keith is building a V8 BGT for the missus while cutting up a "bitchin Camaro" as a donor. This car will serve as a parts car for Hunnys BGT then will be sacrificed in the name of The Challenged. Tim needs a Mustang GT convertible because owning a Miata does not express his intrinsic doubt of his sexuality quite enough.

Or something like that.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
8/19/09 8:00 a.m.
plance1 wrote: I would like to see some more of the caddy..

Get Keith's book on building a Miata based Lotus Seven. There are a few pictures and a brief story.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
8/19/09 8:08 a.m.

Hmmm ... Caddy-engined MGB-GT ...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/19/09 8:12 a.m.

More Caddy: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/211/

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/19/09 9:36 a.m.

And more caddy: http://www.slowcarfast.com/caddy. It's been sitting for a while, once the paint started to go I lost my enthusiasm for the car. Not everything needs excessive patina Someday I'll fix the leaky rear main seal, find the problem in the charging system (I think it needs a new alternator) and then see about respraying the poor thing.

As for the MGs - the plan was to use this car for whatever parts might improve the LS-1 powered beastie. Since I just sort of fell into it, I never planned on picking up a parts car. I figured maybe I could use the fenders and hood to practice the bodywork I'm going to have to do and give me a fallback in case of whoopsies.

This particular car would need an engine and brakes before it could be considered even marginally self-propelled and I have no idea what else might be wrong with it. To bring it to "rough but cool" condition would require lots of work and probably about as much investment as the car would be worth. If I still had the good engine out of the LS1 car, it would be an easier decision. But I had to pretty much give that thing away, nobody wanted it. Doesn't make me feel good about trying to sell a complete ratty MG.

The 5.3 swap into this car was the first thing that came to mind, but I'm not sure you could do a 5.3 swap any cheaper than my current method of using a complete Camaro as a donor. By the time you've sorted out wiring, intake, oil pan, accessory drives, fueling, instruments, transmission and the like it doesn't work out a whole lot cheaper if at all. My current build isn't really a high-dollar one. By the time I'm done, I expect it'll cost less than a cheap E36 M3 - the car, not the swearword

Why a Mustang GT ragtop? Because the convertibles are worth less than the coupes

I'm gonna keep thinking about it. The MG project is on hold for another two months, so there's no hurry here.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
8/19/09 9:57 a.m.

3.8L Ford V6 split port with a T5 is an excellent easy fit Kieth. Plus if you roll your own you could put a set of split port heads on a Super Coupe bottom end, add two turbos, a 157 tooth alloy flywheel and a 3.73:1 narrowed 8.8" rear with 4x4.5" bolt patter drilled in to the drums and axles you would be my hero, cause that is what I would like to see done.

Don't paint it for extra credit.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
8/19/09 9:59 a.m.

Any idea why it doesn't run?

How about WD40 down the spark plugs, change all the fluid, check the rockers, clean up ignition parts, and try to fire it up. Find out what's wrong.

Brakes are easy- check to make sure the metal doesn't leak, replace the 3 rubber lines, and rebuild the slaves.

Basically, one hard day's work, and you can get an honest evaluation of how much really needs to be done.

If it's carb work, add a weekend to rebuild them with new seals.

Eric

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/19/09 10:05 a.m.

I'm pretty sure I know why it doesn't run. No engine

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
8/19/09 10:12 a.m.

Well see theres the problem. You have a negative diagnostic attitude.

How about trying that with a little more enthusiasm, maybe saying it is currently operating as a PZEVii vehicle.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
8/19/09 11:06 a.m.

cherry pick what you absolutely must, then give the remains to the Hong Norrth crew. i'm sure they'll think of something to do with it.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
8/19/09 10:36 p.m.

Miata 1.8 with a turbo... I'm sure someone at your work might know where you could find one. Ask around.

Joey

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/20/09 8:40 a.m.

GT's have such nice lines, but then again, I'm biased.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZDV0HxoJe1T7H9nvvrV6y46dWVlC9wvJ8QEX7NMwE47DG3yoRCrAna30ynCDbc86