1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/15/10 3:15 p.m.

Cool, yes, but is it REALLY any functionally better than a lightly upgraded 2nd-gen MR2 Turbo? Both are mid-engine, both are slightly under 300hp, both look exotic, I can't imagine the suspension or weight balance is terribly different, and a 10-15 year newer Japanese interior will certainly be no less quality than the interior in the M1.

I get that it's rare, but nothing really jumps out at me beyond that as a reason why this car would be able to support that kind of asking price.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
11/15/10 3:21 p.m.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but there is one line that fired off all kinds of red flags for me: "the chassis has " xxxxxx miles" Why chassis and not car? It appears that the owner's rep is being honest, but, if he's gone to such extent to describe the car, why "chassis" ? He does mention the engine received maintenance. But, I'd like to see documentation that's a numbers matching car before laying out the $$$--not that I could. BTW, in recent years, these have been bucking the trend for collector car prices going down in this economy. Limited number built, they were even built as race cars for an F1 support race series driven by the F1 drivers earlier in an F1 weekend, and BMW hasn't built anything like it since. $145K, a little--10-15k high, but once detailed out--engine compartment, interior, underside, etc...it'll be worth the money. Even with the mileage. Everything is relative, this is one of two the owner has, at one of his two houses, and it sounds like he's in no real rush to sell it.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
11/15/10 3:25 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Cool, yes, but is it REALLY any *functionally* better than a lightly upgraded 2nd-gen MR2 Turbo? Both are mid-engine, both are slightly under 300hp, both look exotic, I can't imagine the suspension or weight balance is terribly different, and a 10-15 year newer Japanese interior will certainly be no less quality than the interior in the M1. I get that it's rare, but nothing really jumps out at me beyond that as a reason why this car would be able to support that kind of asking price.

Any classic car's value is generally more than the sum of it's parts. That's just how it is. You could ask why a "numbers matching Yenko" is worth more than a clone...but that just means you don't "get it" and aren't the target audience in the first place. The same is true for pretty much any "collectible" object. A $100000 stamp doesn't technically function any differently than its modern day $0.42 equivalent.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
11/15/10 4:16 p.m.

Not in production (and probably will not be produced) I bring you the M1 Hommage 1. A modern interpretation of the original M1. I would assume that the price tag on the will me an original look like a bargain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_M1_Hommage1.jpg

2008 Homage Concept BMW M1 Homage at the 2009 Dubai International Motor Show.In April 2008, BMW unveiled the M1 Homage Concept to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the M1. The concept vehicle uses a mid-engine layout and borrows styling cues from both the original M1 and the Turbo show car.[4] The BMW Homage concept was released at the event Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d'Este 2008. The design was created by Giorgio Giugiaro who got his idea from the BMW Turbo concept which was designed by Paul Bracq. The BMW Turbo boasted many technical and advance innovations from BMW.[5] The front of the car differs the most than the other parts of the car. The front sports double head lights and not the pop up light that are on the original M1, but the usual trademark of the kidney grills made it onto the design of the car. The Hommage also incorporated the double badge in the back of the car as the original M1. There are no photos of the interior of the car or the car in action. The specifications of the car have not been released to the public. BMW has not confirmed if these will be released.
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
11/15/10 5:55 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Not in production (and probably will not be produced) I bring you the M1 Hommage 1. A modern interpretation of the original M1. I would assume that the price tag on the will me an original look like a bargain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_M1_Hommage1.jpg
2008 Homage Concept BMW M1 Homage at the 2009 Dubai International Motor Show.In April 2008, BMW unveiled the M1 Homage Concept to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the M1. The concept vehicle uses a mid-engine layout and borrows styling cues from both the original M1 and the Turbo show car.[4] The BMW Homage concept was released at the event Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d'Este 2008. The design was created by Giorgio Giugiaro who got his idea from the BMW Turbo concept which was designed by Paul Bracq. The BMW Turbo boasted many technical and advance innovations from BMW.[5] The front of the car differs the most than the other parts of the car. The front sports double head lights and not the pop up light that are on the original M1, but the usual trademark of the kidney grills made it onto the design of the car. The Hommage also incorporated the double badge in the back of the car as the original M1. There are no photos of the interior of the car or the car in action. The specifications of the car have not been released to the public. BMW has not confirmed if these will be released.

Spiderman called,and he wants his wheels back.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/15/10 6:00 p.m.

I am not saying it was this exact car, but there was one A LOT like this at the Savannah Speed Classic a couple weeks ago. the sound made me weak kneed.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
11/15/10 6:42 p.m.

if i were to own an M1 that's what it needs to look like.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera New Reader
11/15/10 7:15 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Hmmmmm..... Winter home in Florida? World Class, competition purpose built Sailplane? M1?

The former owner has been featured in GRM and was friends with the management. He was a true GRMer. He just happened to have a pretty huge bank account. Ignoring purist notions, he often modified and improved upon the designs of the best German and Italian engineers. He had a slew of interesting cars, including an ill-fated second M1. He also commuted in a Porsche 904 too, often picking up his kids from school announced by the screaming flat six. His last commuter was a black F360. Sadly, we'll never see guys like him again. You could fill a book with his exploits.

The gentleman selling the car is nothing but honest and an enthusiast as well. The reference to "chassis" is simply the parlance of the seller and is related to how the owner's other cars are known. I wouldn't read anything into it.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/16/10 6:10 a.m.
Apis_Mellifera said: The gentleman selling the car is nothing but honest and an enthusiast as well.

I'm confused why you're quoting me, I never cast a cloud on the car or the guy's character. My point is if I had that kind of money, would an M1 be on the list?

Dan

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
11/16/10 6:50 a.m.

Nice car, but I'm going Grassroots on this one: a turbo'd 2002 with some giant tires and ridiculous suspension would be way more fun, way cheaper, faster, and would still be a sweet old BMW.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/16/10 7:15 a.m.

Very, very cool.

Just check out that factory header -

In the real world, though, my money would go on an Esprit and a 911, with a pocketful of change.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/16/10 8:09 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Cool, yes, but is it REALLY any *functionally* better than a lightly upgraded 2nd-gen MR2 Turbo?

By that logic, a new Honda minivan would be an even better choice but that's not the point.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky New Reader
11/16/10 9:01 a.m.

Personally, I think it's an ugly car. But I do get the point, rare car. As for me, I would rather have more Fieros, a few Chevette HSRs, AW11's, first gen Celicas, couple 510s, a 74 Chevelle Malibu, a couple Bellett GTRs, and a decent shop. I'm sure I'd have enough cash left over for a few more cars too, I'm sure.

used to have an 81gtv6
used to have an 81gtv6 Dork
11/16/10 11:00 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Nice car, but I'm going Grassroots on this one: a turbo'd 2002 with some giant tires and ridiculous suspension would be way more fun, way cheaper, faster, and would still be a sweet old BMW.

More Grassroots, yes but faster?

From WiKi:

Mechanically, the Procar M1s were extensively modified to meet the requirements of circuit racing. The standard M1 featured the aluminimum block BMW M88 straight-6 with 3,500 cubic centimetres (210 cu in) displacement.[8] Modified into the M88/1 by a team led by Paul Rosche,[10] it was capable of producing . The 5-speed ZF gearbox housing from the road car was retained,[8] but with multiple gear ratios allowed, as well as its own oil cooler.[1]

The suspension was entirely new, adding adjustable anti-roll bars. The brakes were redesigned to adapt the use of a driver-adjustable brake pressure balance, while the servo-activated braking system was removed. A racing steering rack was used in place of the standard power steering unit. Pneumatic jacks were later added to the cars in the 1980 season to allow for quicker pit stops. Goodyear racing tires were used on all cars.[1] All other non-essential items from the road car were not included, bringing the Procar M1's weight down to 1,020 kilograms (2,200 lb).[8] The performance of the Procar M1s was increased to a top speed of 311 kilometres per hour (193 mph) dependent upon gear ratios,[8] and acceleration from 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.3 seconds. Each Procar M1 cost approximately US $60,000.[1]

BMW_M1_Procar_Championship

But then again I too would go with some kind of 911 and an Esprit.

smog7
smog7 Dork
11/16/10 11:07 a.m.

this thing reminds me so much of an nsx.

being that, if I had the money I would buy it.

but since I do not, I cannot see the point of spending so much on it when I can have 3-5 nsx's for the same price.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
11/16/10 12:11 p.m.

Awesome car but I'd rather have a medium sized lake stocked with large mouth bass and a planet made entirely from cardboard.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/16/10 12:49 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Awesome car but I'd rather have a medium sized lake stocked with large mouth bass and a planet made entirely from cardboard.

I'll just take the planet.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/16/10 1:06 p.m.

For 1/3rd that price, either a lightly worked & cleaned up NSX (maybe with a supercharger?) or Lotus Esprit would be just as enjoyable to drive (if not better) as well as "exotic" enough to be interesting.

But not as exclusive. Then again I live in Kansas again where an Esprit might as well fly here from Mars.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/16/10 1:34 p.m.

Or... pay almost double for a non-original '73 Carrera RS:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?op=display_ad&id=1156339&refer=news

(yes, nice looking car, but for that $$$$ I'd expect the original paint, interior and engine)

In the end, it's worth what someone will pay for it...

Apis_Mellifera
11/16/10 4:05 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

The second paragraph was directed to triumph5.

1967cutlass
1967cutlass New Reader
11/16/10 6:19 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Cool, yes, but is it REALLY any *functionally* better than a lightly upgraded 2nd-gen MR2 Turbo? Both are mid-engine, both are slightly under 300hp, both look exotic, I can't imagine the suspension or weight balance is terribly different, and a 10-15 year newer Japanese interior will certainly be no less quality than the interior in the M1. I get that it's rare, but nothing really jumps out at me beyond that as a reason why this car would be able to support that kind of asking price.

Personally I don't think an M1 and mr2 are comparable AT ALL. The m1 is basically a race car, the mr2 is MUCH more of a compromise. I would bet $$$ that an m1 would outhandle any stock mr2 with ease, and feel significantly more connected and raw.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/17/10 6:05 a.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: In reply to 914Driver: The second paragraph was directed to triumph5.

So how am I related to the first? I'm not upset or anything, just don't get the connection that's all.

Dan

Apis_Mellifera
11/17/10 6:18 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
Apis_Mellifera wrote: In reply to 914Driver: The second paragraph was directed to triumph5.
So how am I related to the first? I'm not upset or anything, just don't get the connection that's all. Dan

You listed a few attributes of the owner so I listed a few more. It was meant to be a broadcast response related to and building upon your post. Apparently I failed in illustrating how interesting he was and succeeded at irritating you. My apologies.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/18/10 5:51 a.m.

OK, like I said, not irritated, just confused.

Still confused, but have a nice day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OkT4xajhVBR95zAbMIBlcWM8J1M6rIeNTQAtuelEa56jnbVbTLqLQ5fNFaOUvgqM