1 2 3
Snrub
Snrub Reader
3/25/18 7:18 p.m.

As was of suggested, you can get out of a lease, but you need to find someone to take it over. If it was a legitimate good deal and didn't have debt from a previous vehicle rolled into it, then it may be possible to find someone to simply start making the payments. Usually you need to add a sweetener (ie. cash) to lower the effective payments to entice someone to take it over. The later you are in a lease, the less "value" someone else is getting, but the easier it is add in money to lower the effective monthly payment. There are lease take over specialty site, but you can also try using Craigslist, Autotrader, etc.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
3/25/18 8:17 p.m.

Trailing throttle oversteer....

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
3/25/18 8:27 p.m.

spandak
spandak Reader
3/25/18 9:47 p.m.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq6FPFpDkWE

page 2 and no one has posted this yet?

Get a spare bumper to hack up and then add the goodies and have a blast

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/26/18 6:06 a.m.

Sorry to hear you don't like it, but as to your pinball hobby...

I was an arcade junkie in the late 70's through the '80's.  When I turned 13, I got the pinball machine "Gorgar" as a present.  Man, the fun I had with that thing!!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/26/18 7:24 a.m.

I was thinking about this on my drive this weekend. I think you need to use this as motivation to get the MR2 back to driving. Nothing makes you want to fix a fun car like being trapped in a boring car. So fix the MR2, drive is as much as you can, and wait out the lease. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/26/18 8:34 a.m.

Wheels and tires make a big difference.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/26/18 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Oh Stamps, you're my favorite...

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/26/18 8:46 a.m.

Sucks when you get a new car and it isn't what you hoped it would be.  Sounds like you kinda need a truck/SUV to haul machines and tow, none of the Suby products can really do that. 

Unfortunately your choices are to try to find someone to take over your lease or just gut it out...

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
3/26/18 9:19 a.m.

Keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/26/18 9:26 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I was thinking about this on my drive this weekend. I think you need to use this as motivation to get the MR2 back to driving. Nothing makes you want to fix a fun car like being trapped in a boring car. So fix the MR2, drive is as much as you can, and wait out the lease. 

Wait a minute... since I don't know OP's whole garage or background...  you have an MR2?  ...and you're not driving it??  ...and you're complaining that your daily is too boring!?  

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner.  

Take some of that saved cash and get that MR2 on the road!  The bland/boring daily driver can actually be a motivational tool here and help you in that there's no reason to waste time/money/effort modifying an automatic commuter box.  It's warranteed, nothing to fix, and nothing to wrench.  Leave it alone.

So basically you already have a driving excitement tool in the garage that you're not utilizing for some reason?  Dust off that hammer.    

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/26/18 9:26 a.m.

Open up the exhaust so you can listen to the flat-6 noises and it'll probably be a lot easier to like the thing devil

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/26/18 9:28 a.m.

I'm not following what happened here. Leasing this car saved you $5000 vs. what?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/26/18 9:53 a.m.
JamesMcD said:

I'm not following what happened here.

Me either, but did you test drive the car blindfolded or extremely drunk?      

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/26/18 12:23 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Open up the exhaust so you can listen to the flat-6 noises and it'll probably be a lot easier to like the thing devil

The bad news is that I think those might be Flat 6 paired to a CVT noises.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/26/18 12:42 p.m.
hhaase said:

........ and just enough towing capacity to NOT haul my MR2.  Hell,  three times already myself or the family have accidentally tried to get into the wrong car. ............

It's a lease, and I hate it, so I don't want to dump any money at all into it if possible.  Somebody please cheer me up about this.

Hang on, new Outback has a tow capacity of 2,700lbs.  AW11's are about 2,000 I thought?  why no tow?  that's 700lb's for a trailer.  Even if your MR2 is super heavy I"d have thought you had at least 500lb's to play with?

EDIT.  OK so Googlymoogly says AW11's are 2,200lb's, so that still leaves 500lb's for a trailer.  Either that or weight reduction on the MR2?  

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/26/18 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

2700 lb towing capacity isn't enough to pull a car in any universe I know of.  No proper / safe car trailer is going to be 500 lbs (or even under 1000).  

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/26/18 12:51 p.m.

Start collecting micro cars, that might fix this problem.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/26/18 12:56 p.m.
rslifkin said:

2700 lb towing capacity isn't enough to pull a car in any universe I know of.  No proper / safe car trailer is going to be 500 lbs (or even under 1000).  

Sorry, I forgot this is America where the rules of physics are different from all other countries where people do exactly that all the time without death and destruction.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/26/18 1:03 p.m.

Hotlinking from within GRM back to GRM for the fun of it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/26/18 1:17 p.m.

You have my deepest sympathies.  The Outback was easily the most boring car I've ever owned, and I currently drive an MPV!!! 

I just can't resist an opportunity to do some good Subaru bashing! devil

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/26/18 1:30 p.m.

Fuel leak and subsequent car fire. Make sure this accident happens way out in the country far from the fire station.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
3/26/18 2:12 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
rslifkin said:

Sorry, I forgot this is America where the rules of physics are different from all other countries where people do exactly that all the time without death and destruction.

I have always wondered why the same car would have less towing capacity in the US compared to the Euro market.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/26/18 2:53 p.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

I have always wondered why the same car would have less towing capacity in the US compared to the Euro market.

Different towing environment.  Towing in the US often means 70+ mph on the highway with high winds, large trucks around you, etc.  That's much more demanding on the tow vehicle than typical European towing at lower speeds, etc.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/26/18 3:36 p.m.

A running MR2 make up for a lot of ills in life. Time to get wrenching.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jur8r5TABmApqEZ6E7Yw4hlVLLCa53BPDJAtx5xbavsv9tzu6hkVOQfkEABS1GG5