1 2 3
Snrub
Snrub Reader
3/26/18 3:59 p.m.

A tow dolly could be another option to enable the Outback to pull the MR2.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
3/26/18 4:40 p.m.

The MR2 is ALMOST back on the road again,  but not quite.  Believe me, I really want to get back in there again and hear me some 4AGE.    Really not in-season to drive it yet though, up here we're just getting UP to what most of you consider 'dead of winter' temperatures.  

As to the outback,   I'm stuck with it through the terms of the lease, for many reasons.  I didn't want it in the first place, didn't have many other choices on the lot, wasn't even in the mindset of buying a new car.  The Legacy was worse,  and Outback vs Forester is like choosing between beige and tan.  But when it lets me NOT buy $2,000 worth of tires that are coming due real quick, not pay any mileage overages (and I had a lot) on the previous lease,  and they even covered the sales tax..... I really couldn't say no.    Totally hosed my plan of a Tacoma or FJ Cruiser.

But damn, does this car ever stop beeping or blinking lights at me?   Yes, I know the car in front of me already moved.   Roads May Be Icy?  No E36 M3, it's March in South F'n Dakota!  I can notice the car next to me myself, thank you very much, and why do I even care..... I'm not even looking to change lanes.   Who the hell just told it to play Billy Joel?

As to the towing, yeah, rslifkin had it about right on my local issues.   Interstates out here are 80mph with some serious crosswinds, and all sorts of other nasty weather.  Local wouldn't be a problem but Brainerd is 6 hours and RPM is 4 hours at towing speed.  That's while competing with FedEx triples,  and windmill blades hauling down the road.  God help you once all the recreational guys hit the road.   Big 'ole RV's towing a boat, another car, and another trailer with the 4-wheelers in it, all at the same time.   You don't tow at the margin out here.

Once it gets warm(er), and I can park the damn thing, I'll be fine.   Just ranting at the world for a bit.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
3/26/18 9:19 p.m.
hhaase said:

But damn, does this car ever stop beeping or blinking lights at me?   Yes, I know the car in front of me already moved.   Roads May Be Icy?  No E36 M3, it's March in South F'n Dakota!  I can notice the car next to me myself, thank you very much, and why do I even care..... I'm not even looking to change

lanes.   Who the hell just told it to play Billy Joel?

And that is why I bought a 2.5L premium trim model so that I didn't get all that stuff. 

Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
3/27/18 1:36 a.m.
xflowgolf said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I was thinking about this on my drive this weekend. I think you need to use this as motivation to get the MR2 back to driving. Nothing makes you want to fix a fun car like being trapped in a boring car. So fix the MR2, drive is as much as you can, and wait out the lease. 

Wait a minute... since I don't know OP's whole garage or background...  you have an MR2?  ...and you're not driving it??  ...and you're complaining that your daily is too boring!?  

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner.  

Take some of that saved cash and get that MR2 on the road!  The bland/boring daily driver can actually be a motivational tool here and help you in that there's no reason to waste time/money/effort modifying an automatic commuter box.  It's warranteed, nothing to fix, and nothing to wrench.  Leave it alone.

So basically you already have a driving excitement tool in the garage that you're not utilizing for some reason?  Dust off that hammer.    

What these two said!  Granted my 15 Mazda6 is a stick shift and a relatively fun car so it's far from a "penalty box" to drive, but the smartest decision I think I've ever made as a car enthusiast was to "flip the script" a few years ago and and buy the most normal, sedate, un-aftermarket friendly new car I could to get me to work day in and day out and "scratch the itch" on an affordable project car instead.  I already had my project car in the 84 GTI I bought the year before, I just needed a new daily.

Although I could have afforded one, I never even test drove a GTI, a WRX, a Focus or Fiesta ST, a Civic Si, a Mustang, a Camaro, or an Audi or BMW of any kind. Hell, I didn't even want to drive the BASE MODEL of some of these cars, because I'm afraid that I might have said "good enough" about an Impreza or Civic and woefully regretted that decision 6 months later when I knew I should have just got the damn WRX.  Old me always bought the funnest car I could afford within my budget bracket.    

My goal was to buy something new that was reliable and got good fuel economy and that I didn't see a purpose in modifying.  I wanted to focus all of my effort and spare cash on my project car.  I didn't want to throw money at BOTH on a regular basis and potentially stall the progress of my project while I potentially compromised the reliability of my daily.  

I couldn't be happier with that decision now.  Every time I wanted to do something to the Mazda I didn't because the GTI just demanded my attention more.  In 4 years I never got past window tint and powdercoating my wheels.  I would have liked to have done some H&R springs, Koni Sports, a beefier rear sway bar, a CAI, and maybe exhaust, but I had to keep feeding the GTI.  I sure as hell didn't really save money trying to mechanically rebuild a 34 year old car that had it's fair share of hiccups in the process, but on the plus side the car I was no longer depending on the car I wrenched on and autocrossed to get me to work too.  If I broke something or lost motivation on the GTI, it just sat in the garage and waited.  And not having something truly "fun" to drive every day pushed me to work on the GTI more and get it on the road.

If I were you I'd suck it up and drive that Outback and get back in the garage and finish that MR2!  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/27/18 7:01 a.m.

Just realized this needs to be in the 'First world problems' thread.  Think about it 'I don't' like my brand new car'!!

Seriously.  Rather than dropping big $ on a  suspension lift, tires, bull bar or wrap what about some dirt cheap small mods that can make a big difference.  Every Subaru I"ve driven (including STi's) the steering is too isolated.  What about some easy mods like stiffer rack bushings and better front sta bar end links.  That's less than $200 and can really improve the response feel. Then how about a slightly larger rear sta bar to help firm it up and reduce the inevitable understeer.  Next up what about brake pads?  Are there slightly more aggressive pads that would have better initial bite?  Small things like that can all add up to make a remarkable difference in the feel of the car for minimal outlay.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/27/18 7:10 a.m.
hhaase said:

The MR2 is ALMOST back on the road again,  but not quite.  Believe me, I really want to get back in there again and hear me some 4AGE.    Really not in-season to drive it yet though, up here we're just getting UP to what most of you consider 'dead of winter' temperatures.  

As to the outback,   I'm stuck with it through the terms of the lease, for many reasons.  I didn't want it in the first place, didn't have many other choices on the lot, wasn't even in the mindset of buying a new car.  The Legacy was worse,  and Outback vs Forester is like choosing between beige and tan.  But when it lets me NOT buy $2,000 worth of tires that are coming due real quick, not pay any mileage overages (and I had a lot) on the previous lease,  and they even covered the sales tax..... I really couldn't say no.    Totally hosed my plan of a Tacoma or FJ Cruiser.

But damn, does this car ever stop beeping or blinking lights at me?   Yes, I know the car in front of me already moved.   Roads May Be Icy?  No E36 M3, it's March in South F'n Dakota!  I can notice the car next to me myself, thank you very much, and why do I even care..... I'm not even looking to change lanes.   Who the hell just told it to play Billy Joel?

As to the towing, yeah, rslifkin had it about right on my local issues.   Interstates out here are 80mph with some serious crosswinds, and all sorts of other nasty weather.  Local wouldn't be a problem but Brainerd is 6 hours and RPM is 4 hours at towing speed.  That's while competing with FedEx triples,  and windmill blades hauling down the road.  God help you once all the recreational guys hit the road.   Big 'ole RV's towing a boat, another car, and another trailer with the 4-wheelers in it, all at the same time.   You don't tow at the margin out here.

Once it gets warm(er), and I can park the damn thing, I'll be fine.   Just ranting at the world for a bit.

I think you are entering menopause. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
3/27/18 7:18 a.m.

Since you're into 70s/ 80's pinball games, why not drop a small piece of that 5 large you're saving into an appropriate period-correct pinball machine-hauler?

LIKE THIS ONE.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/27/18 7:19 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
hhaase said:

I think you are entering menopause. 

Needs a Snickers Bar. smiley

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/27/18 7:24 a.m.

I just don’t feel bad for you my newest vehical is a 2003. Non of my cars have less than 100k.

Listening to you complain about a brand new car that you chose to purchased just does not resonate with me. It is like Paris Hilton complaining that her Bentley is to pink. Ya sorry no sympathy coming from this direction.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/27/18 8:20 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I just don’t feel bad for you my newest vehical is a 2003. Non of my cars have less than 100k.

Listening to you complain about a brand new car that you chose to purchased just does not resonate with me. It is like Paris Hilton complaining that her Bentley is to pink. Ya sorry no sympathy coming from this direction.

Trying to give this a thumbs up, but it wont let me.  Consider yourself agreed with.  

volvoclearinghouse
3/27/18 8:35 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Many of my cars have odometers that broke with more than 100k on them.  Years ago.  

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
3/27/18 10:16 a.m.

To the OP,

If you are really miserable, then pay the financial penalties to get out the lease. Otherwise, 40 months is not that much of your life, assuming you have a normal lifespan,.  If you don't like the  decision you made, learn from it and do something different for your next purchase. In the meantime you have a vehicle with a warranty, that sounds like it meets most of your needs, though it may not meet your desires.  I suggest you appreciate what is good about it and focus your energy on something else that makes you happy.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/27/18 11:16 a.m.

I had Subaru loaners recently (both a Crosstrek and an Impreza) while the dealer fixed my son's MINI and I can attest to the absolute bore those things are to drive.  Both of my loaners were four bangers, so somewhat worse.  I ended up getting through it because they paid for any of my toll roads, I had a fairly new car to drive that I just had to put gas in and came to the conclusion that it's totally an appliance and I need to treat it as such.  I understand now why people buy cars like this when you think (or don't, as the case may be) as it being no more important than a washing machine or stove or water heater.  It works and that's what it needs to do.  Figured out the sound system and just turned my driving brain off and relaxed.  Interestingly, I still played with the mileage display, though, and spent a tank of gas seeing how bad I could make the mileage and the rest of the time, tried to adjust my driving to get the best mileage I could.  Was it fun?  No.  Did it keep my mind of how boring the car was to drive?  Absolutely.  You might want to try that route.  And, since it's yours, you can play with things like tire pressures, different brands of gas, etc. to keep the "game" part of the effort. 

-Rob

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
3/27/18 12:11 p.m.

1. Since it's the flat 6, and as others have already said; muffler delete. 

2. Pick up some nice A/T tires, remove, replace, and store the OE tires for lease turn-in (yes, they'll want tires with decent tread depth when you give it back). 

3. Find local fire/dirt/gravel roads, and pretend you're Sebastien Loeb. 

4. Profit.

volvoclearinghouse
3/27/18 12:45 p.m.
thewheelman said: 

3. Find local fire/dirt/gravel roads, and pretend you're Sebastien Loeb. 

For some reason, when my eyes saw "Sebastien Loeb", my mind read "Lesbian Sex".

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/27/18 12:47 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Well it is a Subaru Outback we're talking about here.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
3/27/18 1:02 p.m.

My Outback is a terrible summer car and a wonderful winter car. 2012 2.5i manual, boring as sin in summer commuting doing my sales route, but for the half of the year the roads are covered in ice in Alaska this thing is amazing. I did finally get over driving a station wagon daily, but I don’t quite trust it to hold up over the next couple years based on the problems I’ve had so far. They are what they are, and there’s no point in modifying them unless you like the car already. 

you found one lease trade in special, shop for another and get out of it.  

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
3/27/18 4:44 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
dean1484 said:

Trying to give this a thumbs up, but it wont let me.  Consider yourself agreed with.  

Completely fair, and probably the exact thing I need to hear.   

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
3/28/18 6:17 p.m.

Yeah. I'm gonna deliver some tough love too. Most of what you mention I see as positives for DD duty. Inconspicuous, unsurprising, and cheap to operate. Enjoy your new car for being new, then finish the MR2 to have something more enjoyable. 

Edit: oh yeah. That pin ball thing is pretty cool. 

volvoclearinghouse
3/29/18 6:20 a.m.

I pulled some lease numbers on an Outback.  Looks like around 2000 down and 300 a month, roughly.  So, over 40 months, $14,000 for transportation costs, not including gasoline, and assuming all maintenance is covered under the lease.  

People spend a lot more for a lot worse.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cz6ZQb7Py1JOzpTdnv0nxeUumpViIMayTUBhwY5nddLpJ7ed8GQQKeOJfmg2BZp7