1 2
bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
9/7/12 6:37 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Can't have taken more than 90 minutes start to finish, and I'd never done it before.

Yeah, isn't that cool. With a little practice you can get it to about 45 minutes in your driveway, less with a lift.

Re-install is just as easy, except for a bit of jiggling to get the trans shaft lined up.

noddaz
noddaz Reader
9/7/12 7:23 p.m.

Ok, my .02 that is worth less than 1/2 of that. JCW does not rebuild engines. You do not know where a JCW engine is from. You have no idea of the build quality of a JCW engine. That being said, I do NOT have any experience with with JCW engines. Just sayin'... Next. If your engines cases are good (fix the studs that caused this...) get a crank kit and a cylinder/piston set from a reliable source. Clean up the heads. New pushrod tubes. A gasket set. Stick it back together.
Dub dub dub dub dub dub dub.....

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
9/7/12 9:30 p.m.
noddaz wrote: Ok, my .02 that is worth less than 1/2 of that. JCW does not rebuild engines. You do not know where a JCW engine is from. You have no idea of the build quality of a JCW engine. That being said, I do NOT have any experience with with JCW engines. Just sayin'... Next. If your engines cases are good (fix the studs that caused this...) get a crank kit and a cylinder/piston set from a reliable source. Clean up the heads. New pushrod tubes. A gasket set. Stick it back together. Dub dub dub dub dub dub dub.....

^This. The last thing I'd do is get a JCW motor. Most likely they are getting them from a rebuilder, most likely it is the biggest (yet least reputable) GEX. Their motors are junk, rebuilt with mismatched parts and poor assembly quality.

If you dont want to roll your own get on the samba and look at the builders offering engines there, then check their feedback. There are some good builders out there but most of them are the smaller shops, very few "big name" builders are worth it.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/11/12 6:07 p.m.

3 hours worth of effort, and everything is off of the block, including heads and jugs.

Heads look goo... wait a second... #2 has a nice big crack between the valves (), #3 has a small crack propogating from the spark plug opening.

Okay, so heads are prolly berkeleyed. Jugs look pretty good, no remarkable wear, crosshatching still visible from last honing.

Pistons look good, a little bit of streaking on the #2 piston skirt, but I don't think its terminal.

How about rod bearing play, just for the hell of it? #1's good, #2's good, no play so far, #3's fine, #4... Alright, #4 rod bearing is hosed. No fancy measuring equipment required, the piston and rod exhibit between 1/16 and an 1/8 inch of play.

Hopefully I got her shut down before I did any more damage. I'm going to finish tearing it down and split the case tomorrow afternoon, so I'll know if I've badly messed anything else up this time tomorrow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iN7sHfyf5H7m3qNHvFpInhujZ19m9zZkOqpAx2i5jH3vsLMLSZ1t6umHG3ORLp94