1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/5/22 9:13 a.m.

Normally we'd write the review before chatting about a press car on the forum, but this thing is so polarizing/intriguing I figured I would ask you all for input before my time with it is over.

There's a Mach-E premium in my driveway. Only options are all-wheel-drive and a big battery pack, putting MSRP right about $55k. 

So, what do you want to know?

What myths should I bust about this car?

What hasn't Ford's marketing explained well enough?

And would you buy one?

Thanks everybody! 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
6/5/22 9:57 a.m.

Would previous buyers of Mustangs see/drive this and think, "Yeah, that's my next Mustang!"?  Is it a continuation of that model line or is it jarring and out of place?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/5/22 10:18 a.m.

@ $55k how loaded is it? 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/5/22 10:33 a.m.

Can it do a burnout?

It is a "Mustang" after all cheeky

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork

I've wondered about how the a/c works in ev's & how it affects range in this Florida heat. 
A friend test drove a Leaf in cold weather & if the heat was on, range was drastically reduced, but that was a few years ago. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork

Does it have drag pack options? Like launch mode and other stuff?

How does the interior size compare to a similar ford ice vehicle (edge maybe?)

Are there lots of gimmicky things to keep reminding you over and over that you are green and saving the earth, or is it mostly just a normal car?

Fun to drive?

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
6/5/22 10:39 a.m.

Also how many wot digs can you do before the batteries start over-heating & it limits the power?

What happens when the power is decreased?

Does it have a secret V8 in cabin sound button? 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/5/22 10:52 a.m.

Can it do uncatchable power drifts that eats people while leaving from cars and coffee?

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
6/5/22 11:25 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Can it do uncatchable power drifts that eats people while leaving from cars and coffee?

For that matter, will the vehicle allow you to do anything "out of control", or it is just "go fast in a straight line, that is all"?

next question: is it the awd model, if so, how does it handle awd things on dirt. (Snow would be preferred, but you're in Florida). 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/5/22 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Definitely gone now :

1st post says it's AWD. 

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
6/5/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Definitely gone now :

There is lots of mud to the South. Could simulate some awd snow/ice driving.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
6/5/22 12:28 p.m.

How does it compare to the Leaf you sold us?
i.e. sleepywife and I like the Leaf.  It's spunky and "fun"... if not "fast"... and the silent driving, and regen braking is "refreshing".  Does the Mustang MachE exhibit any of these characteristics?
If you "get in it" to... uh... get around a knucklehead... how does it respond?  Do you 'feel' it in your inability to get home?

How many laps of the FIRM can it do "flat out"... before overtemp?  before you need to recharge it?
laptime?
if you were the type of person completely disinclined to buy a Tesla (for many various reasons)... would the MachE be at all a viable alternative a track car compared to a Model3?

Are there any "annoying" bits?  Is Ford being intrusive about data collection?

edited to add/refine questions

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/22 12:31 p.m.

Did the press packet from Ford finally explain the idiotic name?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/5/22 12:44 p.m.

Do crowds of pedestrians scatter when you drive by?

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/5/22 1:03 p.m.

Why is not named Mercury, Thunderbolt, Lightning, or anything other than Mustang? The Probe name plate is available. Take a pick guys, anything else would have been preferable. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
6/5/22 1:47 p.m.

How much does it differ from any similarly sized ICE SUV of that type?  If you didn't know it was and EV, would it act/drive/seem like any other car?

Not sure how your weather is down in Florida over the next few days, but how much impact does full tilt A/C have on battery life?  It's 100+ here in Texas this week, with something like pea soup humidity.  My A/C in the car runs full blast for most of the drive.

I'll second the "you're driving an EV" type of stuff.  Does it distract or blend into day to day driving?  Along with that, how are the HVAC/Stereo/etc controls?  Probably more Ford than Mach-E specific.  In the Explorer we rented, the HVAC controls seemed to have been designed by different committees that never talked to each other.

-Rob

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/5/22 3:32 p.m.

Granted this is not EV specific but if it has the blue cruise option how well does it work for daily commuting?

How is the build quality?

How far is your knee from the big screen?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 4:59 p.m.

FYI, in my experience AC has far less effect on EV range than a resistance heater does. EV AC can be amazingly effective. And best of all, you can turn it on before you get in the car :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 5:01 p.m.

Review it like a normal car. Because it is a normal car. It just has a different power plant. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/5/22 5:07 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

There's a Mach-E premium in my driveway. Only options are all-wheel-drive and a big battery pack, putting MSRP right about $55k. 

So, what do you want to know?...

How easy is it to actually find one on a lot, and most importantly, do they actually sell for MSRP or, hah, less?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/5/22 5:21 p.m.

I've only been in one of these and I'm now sure how highly trimmed out it was.

Does the interior look cheap, or is it suitable to a $55k vehicle?

How do the interior switches and buttons feel? Honda quality, or a step or two down from that?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/5/22 5:23 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Do crowds of pedestrians scatter when you drive by?

There's a Mach E in my neighborhood that's already sporting a lot of front and side damage. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/5/22 5:31 p.m.

We all want to know where Tommy went.....

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/5/22 6:32 p.m.

I have a coworker with one.  He was commuting to DFW working once a week, spending two days in DFW, and then going back to Amarillo.  He had to go pretty far out of his way to a charging station en route.  He said Tesla superchargers were not compatible with the Mach E.  Has this been changed?  Is there a way to change it?  Other than having to detour and wait to charge, everything else he said made it seem pretty amazing.  I'm also curious how long it takes to charge one at an SAE terminal that Ford is using. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 6:41 p.m.

Tesla Superchargers are not CCS in North America, which is the high speed charging standard used by almost all other EVs on the market now. That's a reflection of CCS not being ready when Tesla started building out the network so they had to roll their own standard.. 

It's coming, though. Newer Teslas can use CCS chargers with an adapter. CCS vehicles will be able to use Superchargers with an adapter. I suspect the main difficulty is arranging payment, and the "plug and charge" portion of the CCS protocol should help there. It's not supported by all CCS vehicles as it's fairly new and it still a little wobbly but the Mach E does support it. So, no Tesla charging for the Mach E today, but it is coming. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yCJMb8gNMX6BEBhtF3JTx8pYEJgF7sjEeIh5u8fvJiKWtzvc38HTLGZJkZiK0Ltp