8 9 10
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/17/22 9:05 p.m.

I agree that efficiency will remain a strong goal. Hopefully Hummers will be outliers, like they were in the ICE world.

And yes, we'll see malls and movie theaters adding more and more chargers to attract customers. It's not technically hard, we just need to do the work and keep doing it. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/17/22 9:16 p.m.

I like the tail lights. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
6/17/22 10:01 p.m.

It might not make sense for the cost of the extra infrastructure, but I wonder whether it makes sense in some mall/theater/restaurant settings to have way more chargers than The Big Cable To The Site can serve; that is, have enough juice to be fast-ish-charging ten cars, but have fifty parking spots with connections, so that there isn't the need to run out and move the car as soon as it's gotten sufficient charge. The individual spots would have some sort of indication of where you were in the virtual queue, when you'd probably get X amount of charge, and how much beyond that they'd like you to move on by. So you can finish your movie, your dinner, or your shopping in a leisurely pace and leave fairly topped up, whether you're there for an hour or three without having to stop in the middle of anything.

Obviously, it would suck to stop to grab a bite and charge and find out you're probably 45 minutes out from starting, but if that were the case normally, you'd just be out of luck for even getting hooked up. Which raises a question: is there organized queuing now?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
6/18/22 7:51 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

Ford gets to decide what's a Mustang.

You mean the way Dodge gets to decide what's a Challenger?

is that how it works?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/18/22 7:54 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Yes, exactly.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/22 12:19 p.m.

And we get to tell them they berked up by not buying it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/18/22 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

It's not unusual for urban chargers to have more chargers than capacity. If only one car is plugged in, you get the full juice. If two are plugged in, you share. Tesla chargers are actually numbered so you can see which ones are paired and park accordingly.

I've never come across organized queuing, but it's possible to see current useage of a charging station (depending on network) so you shouldn't be surprised when you get there. I don't know if the Tesla app will reroute based on high charger useage, but I do know that popular stations will only charge you to 80% where the charging speed drops quickly unless you override - this is to encourage turnover. 

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ofjhYiqtMa7sxSek4qsjOwblniIweHC54nyvc9DgTyAkNb1jXFA0W2Ie3hoVlAvr