1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 6:44 p.m.

It's worth noting that charging speeds are like dyno graphs. You don't get the peak everywhere, so having Tom plug in and just note the maximum number he sees is not telling the whole story. Like dyno graphs, you want area under the curve. I know Ford has done well in that regard on the Lightning, to the point where the Ford will take on more energy in a given time than a Rivian despite having a lower peak charging rate. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/5/22 7:02 p.m.

Do dealerships generally have public charging stations that are available 24/7?

Like, can you hop from Ford dealer to Ford dealer if you're planning a road trip?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/5/22 7:21 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Can it do a burnout?

It is a "Mustang" after all cheeky

A ton of "for real" Mustangs can't do burnouts either.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/5/22 7:22 p.m.

I'd mostly like to know how it compares to other crossover/sport utility/ bloated sedan /or whatever that is in that price range.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/5/22 7:51 p.m.

Not a thing. wink

cheeky

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/5/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Once you figure out how to turn off all the Nannie's, it's easy af.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/5/22 8:09 p.m.

How easy is it to remove all the Mustang badges.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/5/22 8:13 p.m.

I hereby decree that from this point forward, they will be known only as "Mach-E". There's nothing Mustang about it.

Same goes for Bronco "Sports" - call it something, anything else - it's not a Bronco.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/5/22 8:36 p.m.

You can ask Ford why they think calling it a Mustang is helpful.  This is totally the shape/size/etc of thing that would interest me but simply because they called it a Mustang I'm not even remotely interested in buying one.   

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 8:44 p.m.

You guys really need to get over the nomenclature.

Turboeric
Turboeric Reader
6/5/22 8:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

FYI, in my experience AC has far less effect on EV range than a resistance heater does. EV AC can be amazingly effective. And best of all, you can turn it on before you get in the car :)

Many new EVs are using heat pumps for HVAC, so the heating becomes as efficient as AC. An early Leaf is about the worst example of heating having an impact on range.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/5/22 8:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Review it like a normal car. Because it is a normal car. It just has a different power plant. 

You meant to say review it like a normal SUV. Because it’s an SUV with a different power plant.  

It’s not a Mustang regardless of how badly Ford executives want it to be one.   I don’t dislike the concept or the electric drive but it’s not a Mustang.   Also, why does everything need to be an SUV?   (Insert get off my lawn comments.) 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/5/22 9:01 p.m.

I've been a Mustang fan since 1972. Early Mustangs shaped most of my car life for 40+ years. I had a hard time accepting anything'67 or newer for many years. Eventually, I even began to accept the '71-73 cars. I never hated Mustang IIs. 

Mustangs messed me up for a long time.

If I can get over the name, so can you.

This is probably a fantastic vehicle. I think that Ford could have done better than the solid, filled grill, but I do love the tail lights. I am much more likely to buy one of these things than a new "Shelby".

Welcome, Mustang Mach E. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/5/22 9:11 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Ford gets to decide what's a Mustang.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/5/22 9:11 p.m.

Max range at normal highway speeds?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 9:24 p.m.
Turboeric said:
Keith Tanner said:

FYI, in my experience AC has far less effect on EV range than a resistance heater does. EV AC can be amazingly effective. And best of all, you can turn it on before you get in the car :)

Many new EVs are using heat pumps for HVAC, so the heating becomes as efficient as AC. An early Leaf is about the worst example of heating having an impact on range.

That's why I specified a resistance heater. Not that Tom can test the heat in Florida in June without turning into jerky :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 9:24 p.m.
11GTCS said:
Keith Tanner said:

Review it like a normal car. Because it is a normal car. It just has a different power plant. 

You meant to say review it like a normal SUV. Because it’s an SUV with a different power plant.  

It’s not a Mustang regardless of how badly Ford executives want it to be one.   I don’t dislike the concept or the electric drive but it’s not a Mustang.   Also, why does everything need to be an SUV?   (Insert get off my lawn comments.) 

It's a low ground clearance monocoque. It's a car :) The ones I've seen in person have never looked like SUVs to me, but I do live in truck country.

And it has a mustang badge, so it must be a Mustang. If BMW can put M6 badges on giant boat of a sedan, this can be a Mustang!

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
6/5/22 9:36 p.m.

I guess I don't get the defense of the mustang name. There's nothing pony car/muscle car about it and by and large for the past 100 years, vehicles have kept certain key things the same when the same name gets applied to a new model. The Maverick is odd enough, but the oddity is especially so when it's a beloved classic with a real lineage. 

Well... I guess instead of turning this into a challenge, I should rephrase that to a truly genuine question to the both of you, Keith and Woody: "why do you feel the need to defend ford's irregular use of the name Mustang?"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/5/22 9:45 p.m.

The question is "why do you care so much?" It has absolutely zero effect on how I feel about the car. Ford can call it whatever they want, it's the same car.

I'm not defending Ford, I'm saying just get past it and concentrate on the thing itself. Whining about a perceived inappropriate use of a name is pointless and not very interesting to the rest of the world that is more interested in Ford's first mass market EV. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/5/22 9:47 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Do dealerships generally have public charging stations that are available 24/7?

Like, can you hop from Ford dealer to Ford dealer if you're planning a road trip?

Part of the reason I bought a Leaf was because all Nissan dealers had level2 chargers that could be used for free by any Leaf owner. The one time I took it on a range-anxiety dive, I did so only because there was a Nissan dealer right near my destination. 

At that Nissan dealer I waited nearly an hour for them to a) move two broken cars that were blocking the charger and then b) find the guy who knew how to turn the unit on. 

Long story short, so many electric vehicles these days are pretty darn good. Unfortunately they're still hampered in many locations by a public charging infrastructure that's a flaming hot garbage fire, and the OEMs do absolutely berkeley-all to actually educate consumers about true EV benefits or actual day to day operation. 

Came really close to test driving one a few weeks back. We ordered her a new MB and after 6 months of waiting, she was getting fed-up and considered a Tesla and the Mach-E. We had plans on a Saturday to go to a local dealership that had one in stock that she could drive. I got a call on that Thursday afternoon that her car arrived, so no Mach-E test drive for me. Too bad as I was actually looking forward to seeing how well the GT version went. Oh well, maybe in 5-6 years when she's ready for another vehicle.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/5/22 10:15 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I don't feel that there is anything to defend. It's Ford's choice. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/5/22 10:41 p.m.

We have electric cars with "Turbo" badges.

We have 4-door coupes

We have 4-door, crossover Mustangs.

These things are all like that "beyond meat" crap. You can call it meat all day long, it's still not meat.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/5/22 10:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You guys really need to get over the nomenclature.

Not happening.

The incredible lack of comprehension the marketing and management had for mis-using the name of their most iconic product means it doesn't exist to me. If GM called an electric Tahoe a Corvette, would that be okay?  

I could accept an electric two door coupe as a Mustang. I can't accept a bloated crossover/SUV thing as a Mustang. Ever.  According to my local dealer, the naming blunder has pissed off a lot of potential customers.  It isn't just GRM type enthusiasts who are repelled by the badge engineering.

JimS
JimS Reader
6/5/22 11:02 p.m.

There are plenty of reviews of this car already. I like the styling and the name is foolish but doesn't bother me. Not a big fan of ev's but I am considering the Mach-E to replace our Q5 eventually. since I'm retired and have 991 for trips. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EBfrWClbm2TPuJiH64Kwvce6LskLHuqTFQVNDF6UvSJumlX5zpXVB2ejaxe67Ngr