1 2
bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/15/22 2:06 p.m.

Edit:  I wanted to thank each of you individually but that's taking too long. So please accept my thanks and I have taken a lot of great advice!  Thanks for the help and well wishes!  Thanks!  

I recently found out that I have the Covid. Other than an utter sense of fatigue and congestion along with a total loss of taste and smell those are the only symptoms I'm showing. I am vaccinated I've had both shots though I never got the booster. Anybody who's had it any medicine or medication you took that helped? So far cold and flu medication seems to work pretty well. If this is the wrong forum. I apologize. Just looking for things to ease the situation. Thanks!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
1/15/22 2:16 p.m.

Probably want this in the off topic section. Nevertheless, I got it after Xmas. Luckily I just had a fever, mild cough and fatigue.

From my sister in law, a nurse practitioner when I got sick:

Take baby aspirin 81mg daily for 14 days.

Tylenol and Motrin alternate for fever. 
Vitamin c daily
Zinc 50mg daily for 14 days

I'm not a medical professional, and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express last night.  Good luck.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/15/22 2:17 p.m.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
1/15/22 2:19 p.m.

I'm just coming off my bout of C. I tested positive last Saturday. The next 3 days were the worst, and overall really not that bad. Mostly congestion and a bad sinus headache the next two days. Nights and sleeping (or lack thereof) were the worst part. Treat the symptoms. Tylenol really helped with the headaches/aches, Mucinex helped keep the pipes open, and cough drops helped with the itchy throat. When night congestion got really bad I coated nostrils with Vicks vapor run and raised the head of the bed a bit.

Don't overdo it and let yourself heal. You are most likely contagious for at least 5 more days so plan food delivery accordingly. Also, text some of your close friends and let them know. Them checking in on me helped keep me connected.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/15/22 2:21 p.m.

Apologies for the wrong forum. Can a mod please move it?  

So far thank you for the suggestions!  When I can keep my eyes open I will read them!  Sorry for the wrong forum again. Thanks fellas 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/15/22 2:27 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

I went ahead and moved this to Off Topic for you. Hope you feel better soon!

Margie

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/15/22 2:28 p.m.

Haven't had covid, but a trick I picked up for other upper respiratory stuff. Sleep wearing a neck gaiter over your nose and mouth. Retained moisture thins the mucus and helps.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/15/22 2:30 p.m.

You're sick.  Lay down and take care of yourself.  It's really not unlike anything you've had before so do the things you do when you have those feelings.  One surprise though is the physical drain and this physical toll may last longer than other times you've felt similar symptoms.   In the days when you feel better, still remember to go to bed early and get real rest.  

The biggest question you're probably facing is, "what should I bing-watch for the next 5 days and a few evenings after that?" 

Some old classics:

The Wire
Californication
The Newsroom
Dexter

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/15/22 2:35 p.m.

I may or may not have had it, but all I had was a fever. I slept and ate soup for a week. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/15/22 2:36 p.m.

I tested positive on Monday, have been in home isolation since. I was fully vaccinated including a booster, haven't had to take any medications. My symptoms have all been slight, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, lethargy. Symptoms are waning, so I tested again this morning, still a strong positive. I was supposed to return to work tomorrow, that's been changed.

Good luck, I hope you recover soon.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/15/22 2:56 p.m.

Other than fatigue we got our symptoms one per day, and they only lasted about a day each. I've had worse colds by far.

Biggest thing was fatigue and we slept 12 hours a day and watched TV or read the other 12.

Best of luck and medical science to you.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/15/22 3:13 p.m.

I didn't know it was covid at the time but took Tylenol for the aches and zinc, vitamins C&D as I normally do. Hot tea with honey helped my throat. The worst of it, aches and dizziness lasted about a week and a half. The coughing lasted a few more and the loss of smell and taste about 15 months.  Good luck, I hope it passes quickly. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/15/22 3:24 p.m.

Hot showers to thin mucus in the upper and lower respiratory systems, and stay overly hydrated. 

Treat other symptoms as you normally would for therapeutic purposes. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/15/22 4:56 p.m.

As I have mentioned before, if you have a cough, and you don't want to spread it to others in the house, get a rag and cough into that and treat that rag as toxic waste (not a guarantee but will certainly help).  Coughing into a rag will also make any coughing much less painful / harsh, especially with a sore throat

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/15/22 5:03 p.m.

Don't have any advice but hoping you come through with the least amount of issues.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/15/22 5:10 p.m.

Just coming off this as well, hopefully. Tested positive Wednesday, my wife started symptoms Monday.

We've had off/on fever symptoms (chills/aches), and now cough/congestion. Luckily pretty minor overall, just a decent duration of congestion.

We took Tylenol for Fever reducer, and DayQuil or NyQuil to get a good sleep. Along with Vitamin C, Vitamin D and a lot of water/tea.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
1/15/22 5:47 p.m.

Alka Seltzer for me.

Feel better. Omicron doesn't seem to care if you were vaccinated/boosted/had it before. Tough times.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/15/22 6:31 p.m.

Get a lot of sleep.  Eat Vitamin C.  Stay hydrated.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/15/22 7:07 p.m.
Stampie said:

Don't have any advice but hoping you come through with the least amount of issues.

You sure do. You just reminded me that whiskey with a squeeze of lemon and honey is great for a cough/sore throat. Either it goes away or you drink enough they you don't care. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/15/22 7:11 p.m.

Folks say to stay upright and as active as you can to keep it from settling into your lungs.  Aside from that crush it with vitamins and fluids.  Keep the faith - you'll make it thru.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/15/22 9:52 p.m.

I suspect I just came off a relatively mild case - fever, migraine-style headache, loss of taste for a few days, exhaustion - and I found what helped most was to drink a lot. Tea, that is, before someone gets other ideas.

I usually drink about 2.5 quarts of mostly green tea during the day anyway, but found that I didn't feel hydrated enough unless I drank another teapot equivalent (about 1.25qt) either in water or tea.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/22 10:26 p.m.

I had it a couple months ago.  A gross sounding cough and some light cold symptoms was pretty much it.  I drank water and layed off the beer for a week while I quarantined and played video games.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/16/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Thank you!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/16/22 11:35 a.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Toooo funny. Thanks!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad