Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/17/11 2:58 p.m.

Looks like metallic brown isn't just for Porsches

Nice find.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/17/11 3:45 p.m.

Aw, man! Why do all the tasty Mk.1s fall in someone else's lap? I'm so jealous..

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/17/11 3:52 p.m.

Dont forget this bad boy.........it was there 7 months ago in Central Illinois.................

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/17/11 3:53 p.m.

Joe, pics of yours or ban...I know you work for the mag, but that just means you should know better!

JK man, nice score, Happy ferya

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
3/17/11 3:54 p.m.

I was working for VW when those were new... 76 sucked - Solex carb

I don't remember a special 77 model, I do remember (or think I do) a special destroked 78 model... the white w blk trim, running a 1.5, instead of the 1.6

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
3/17/11 4:01 p.m.

Awesome, I've always wanted a Scirocco I, but being in the Snow Belt and needing to drive it year round, my ownership would be a death sentence for even the best kept cars. My Scirocco II's have held up much better to salt treatments, and still a ball to drive, but still not quite the original looker.

Believe it or not the VWVortex's Scirocco forum is one of the few not populated by mouth breathers and is chocked full of useful information. http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?13-Scirocco

And that Trans-AM Scirocco is kind of a running joke there. A few people have looked it over and it appears dubious at best and a handful of nonsense at worst.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/17/11 5:54 p.m.

Congrats... time to join the "Brown Car Appreciation Society". http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=53967352076

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
3/17/11 6:12 p.m.

Scirocco owners are some of the strangest car enthusiasts on the planet, owning a clean mk1 places you squarely in their ranks. Bob help you Joe

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/17/11 6:53 p.m.

and he ^ should know

nice score Joe

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/17/11 7:06 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Joe, pics of yours or ban...I know you work for the mag, but that just means you should know better! JK man, nice score, Happy ferya

Uh, yea. Project or not, inquiring minds.

Giugiaro designed, right? If it is, same as my first car- Alfetta.

redrabbit
redrabbit New Reader
3/17/11 7:58 p.m.

cool vw

EvanB
EvanB Dork
3/17/11 8:22 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Scirocco owners are some of the strangest car enthusiasts on the planet, owning a clean mk1 places you squarely in their ranks. Bob help you Joe

I was one of the strangest car enthusiasts on the planet for a few months while I owned my Scirocco, alright!

Another vote for the Scirocco subforum on VWVortex. They are a great group of people (not as good as this one) and the thing I miss most about owning a Scirocco.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
3/17/11 8:32 p.m.

Thanks a LOT guys!!!

I finally had gotten over my '75 and '79 Sciroccos.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
3/18/11 9:47 a.m.

Very cool project. Can't wait to see it up and running!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/18/11 9:56 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Joe, pics of yours or ban...I know you work for the mag, but that just means you should know better! JK man, nice score, Happy ferya
Uh, yea. Project or not, inquiring minds. Giugiaro designed, right? If it is, same as my first car- Alfetta.

Pics to come, have no fear. Joe's out of town for the weekend so it's going to take a couple of days.

I went up and looked at it with Joe; neither of us expected it to be nearly as clean and rust free as it seems to be. We didn't bring a camera, trailer, or even a pen to sign a bill of sale.

That won't happen when we go to pick it up.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
3/18/11 11:08 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: Now if I could sell Tom or somebody the 305 Volvo and the V8 Miata we'd be in business.

Tried sending you a message...I'd like to hear more about the Volvo or Miata!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/18/11 11:25 a.m.

One of my club mates unicorn. Should also be in the box flare thread. He picked it up from the original owner/creator last fall. It looks darn sexy with the correct rims on it.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/18/11 12:24 p.m.

Wow! My dad bought one of those new in 1976. Yes, it was one of the fuel injected cars. I definitely remember the good-looking brown paint with the lettering, the gold wheels, the awesome steering wheel and I even remember that the wing windows opened.

My dad drove it for ten years then it passed to my brother when he turned 16. No offense, bro, but he was pretty hard on it and by the time it passed to me three years later it had been ridden hard and put away wet. The air conditioning didn't work, the clutch was barely there and the shifter had as much play as a 914. It sure wasn't fast but it sure was fun to drive. I really loved the gearing on the four-speed transmission (this was a town without freeways and I didn't do any road-tripping). It was mine for three weeks before it got sold. :-(

I'd love to project another one.

David

friedgreencorrado
3/18/11 3:07 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I went up and looked at it with Joe; neither of us expected it to be nearly as clean and rust free as it seems to be. We didn't bring a camera, trailer, or even a pen to sign a bill of sale. That won't happen when we go to pick it up.

ROFL! Y'all are us. That's why the magazine's so damn good, I guess..

And I'm still jealous, even without pics. First Scirocco I ever saw was a new one leaving the lot in 1977. It was gold, it was gorgeous, and it's stuck with me ever since.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
3/18/11 8:26 p.m.

Cool car! For a very short time I had a silver '78 Mk1. It had the big single wiper etc. I wouldn't have minded keeping it except 1) the GTi bad taste was still strong 2) it had a sunroof meaning I had to drive it hunched over. So I flipped it pretty quick, doubled my money.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/18/11 8:36 p.m.

I've never owned one, but I've always loved them.

One of my best friends traded his '68 442 for one when we were in college.

And, Sachilles, I have seen your friends car in person and it blew my mind. It was so low and wide that, for a while, I thought that the top had been chopped.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/18/11 9:31 p.m.

I would love me a Mk 1 Scirocco.. one of the prettiest cars to ever come out of VAG

friedgreencorrado
3/19/11 11:37 p.m.

Closest I ever got to bringing one home..the shop I used to race out of had one on a lien that I could have bought for about $700. I passed, because the thing had one of those old "ground effects" cosmetic kits, and had been resprayed that 90s "teal" green color.

Mistake. Every one I've seen in the eight years since then had a lot more rust/wiring/running problems. Where's that "cars you're kicking yourself over" thread again?

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
3/20/11 3:00 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Cool car! For a very short time I had a silver '78 Mk1. It had the big single wiper etc. I wouldn't have minded keeping it except 1) the GTi bad taste was still strong 2) it had a sunroof meaning I had to drive it hunched over. So I flipped it pretty quick, doubled my money.

highlighted for truth!

My favorite feature of my second S2 was no sunroof. 1" difference never felt so spacious.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/20/11 4:26 a.m.

I havent seen one of those in nice shape for a very long time. They have gotten much more expensive too. My friends brother destroyed 2 of them (and a 16v scirocco as well) back when they were cheaper, but I have only seen one in the last several years.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r6Xkn5ph6wYqBI6H32vk9nZfOuS6krcnmJkRFvI6wFLASWaVT8XF7St8yUwGKc8l