BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
2/28/12 10:30 a.m.

So I bought one, but it's a bit of a project. What else is new.

I blame this on Javelin :

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/28/12 10:32 a.m.

You're welcome!

No where's the build thread?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/28/12 10:37 a.m.

There were such awesome looking cars when they came out... and now I find them kinda ugly

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
2/28/12 10:50 a.m.
Javelin wrote: You're welcome! No where's the build thread?

I haven't got any of my modelling tools anymore so I need to go tool shopping first - haven't built a plastic model in something like 22 years.

First order of the day, get some a decent Xacto knife or similar, paint, putty, glue and a half-decent airbrush (ie, reasonably cheap), then you get your build thread .

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/28/12 10:54 a.m.

I have an airbrush and haven't used it on a model car in 10 years. Spray cans have come so far there's just no reason to on "normal" paintjobs.

I suggest getting an X-Acto set with a few different blade types. Skip the putty. Get plastic cement, white glue, and super glue. Go for the water based paints (Taimya, Testor's Acryl, or Games Workshop). Get a brush set with 0000, 000, 00, 0, and 1 as the sizes.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/28/12 11:19 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: There were such awesome looking cars when they came out... and now I find them kinda ugly

I have always found them kind of ugly. That said, "Classic" 911's have grown on me. Mostly because it is far more attainable than a Countache.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
2/28/12 11:29 a.m.

Ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. I love them. Visited the museum in Stuttgart last year, then a trip to Porsche Classic, where the basement is full of cars waiting for full restoration. There was a least a half dozen 959, belong to middle eastern oil sheiks, unbelievably garish colour schemes. One was bright yellow, with yellow leather seats, lemon yellow seatbelts, gold rims and gold tailpipes. Horrific.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/28/12 11:38 a.m.
Lesley wrote: There was a least a half dozen 959, belong to middle eastern oil sheiks, unbelievably garish colour schemes. One was bright yellow, with yellow leather seats, lemon yellow seatbelts, gold rims and gold tailpipes. Horrific.

People who live their whole lives on sand where nothing grows are like a starving man at an Old Country Buffet when it comes to color. It is utter crap but they have no reference point to judge - so they just fill the plate. Those of us who live in the green mountains where fantastic flora and fauna flourish*... we paint our Porsches brown.

*forgive the alliteration. I couldn't help myself

Woody
Woody SuperDork
2/28/12 12:10 p.m.

You could always buy this one

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/661315-1983-911-sc-targa-8900-ct.html

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/28/12 12:51 p.m.
Woody wrote: You could always buy this one http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/661315-1983-911-sc-targa-8900-ct.html

Woody
Woody SuperDork
2/28/12 1:35 p.m.

I like that

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/28/12 2:32 p.m.

That is a cool find. Is that current production or NOS?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
2/28/12 2:49 p.m.

I think it's an NOS-ish one, but Tamiya USA simply lists it as out of stock, not as discontinued. It's probably still using the same tooling but I've been away from scale models for 20 years so I can't tell if it's improved over what I was used to.

Found it on ebay for fairly cheap, still in its original shrink wrap. Figured I'll get a couple of 1/24 scale kits under my belt before I attempt a 1/12 .

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/28/12 2:59 p.m.

That's a cool find. And here's a question: Has Tamiya ever made a kit that didn't just have awesome box art?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
2/28/12 3:28 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I have an airbrush and haven't used it on a model car in 10 years. Spray cans have come so far there's just no reason to on "normal" paintjobs.

Good to know - it's more a case of me having a bit of an aversion to cans, plus it's an excuse to re-learn some basic airbrush skills that might have to apply to some full size cars (for touch ins, that is).

Javelin wrote: I suggest getting an X-Acto set with a few different blade types. Skip the putty. Get plastic cement, white glue, and super glue. Go for the water based paints (Taimya, Testor's Acryl, or Games Workshop). Get a brush set with 0000, 000, 00, 0, and 1 as the sizes.

Noted, thanks.

psteav
psteav HalfDork
2/28/12 5:21 p.m.

Dude, I remember building that kit probably 16-17 years ago. It was my first non-Revell/Monogram car kit....and I was blown away by how realistic and detailed it was compared to the stuff I had been building.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
2/28/12 5:24 p.m.

Is that model based on a particular famous car? I'm asking because when I was a kid I had a silver die-cast 959 which I'm pretty sure had the same number plate. Did Tamiya do premade die-casts too?

I should go dig it out sometime. It would go well next to my same-scale gold DeLorean.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
2/28/12 6:31 p.m.

If I recall correctly from building this kit, it has a nasty seam that must be dealt with where the wing attaches to the engine cover, but otherwise the fit is excellent.

As Javelin said, skip the tube putty, but pick up some Apoxie Sculpt or Milliput two part epoxy putty instead. They bond to styrene very well, without being too chemically hot for it, and don't shrink as they dry like white putty, or have a nasty dye you have to worry about bleeding through paint like red putty. If you live near a Hobby Lobby, they carry Milliput and frequently run 40% off one item coupons on their website.

If you're planning on painting it a metallic color from a rattle can, shell out the extra money for Tamiya paint. It goes on SMOOTH, and the metallic particles are far smaller than Testors or Duplicolor touchup paints, avoiding the bass boat metalflake look.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wTi9CAybdIBHJjNzMzSphtP7DCZweHyQ6NhoTYvY60pbfLfO83vdK8OIfyhd21fV