1 2 3
Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
2/9/21 12:41 p.m.

Beat me to it Golfduke

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/9/21 3:42 p.m.

I'd love to have a caddy.  I don't really need to tow stuff, so a small truck like this is perfect

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
2/9/21 3:48 p.m.
golfduke said:
Placemotorsports said:
Trent said:

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Yeah, It is dirty. 

I have never seen a car wash in Oregon that does the underbody. No road salt out here so it kind of isn't a thing.

Standing under it with a pressure washer wouldn't be fun.  Maybe make your own with a yard water sprinkler

I swear they make a pressure washer attachment for this exact situation. 

Edit, found it!  $30 on amazon...

I was just discussing making one of these with a friend to see if it would be a money maker.  I'd think that you'd want something wider that you could just lay in the driveway and slowly drive over, though.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
2/9/21 4:57 p.m.
Trent said:

Because of a silly shift knob. 

For want of a nail, a shoe was lost....

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/9/21 5:19 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

Nice caddy but I'm having serious garage envy. From even just that one angle, that looks like an amazing space. 

It is indeed an amazing shop. It isn't my garage though. It is the shop I manage that is exactly 1.1 miles from my house so why would I ever work on cars at home. 

Most weekends the lowly caddy is surrounded by Ferraris,  Maseratis and Jags. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/9/21 7:08 p.m.

My buddy just sold this vr6 swapped and painfully restored Caddy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/10/21 1:05 p.m.

Sorta related, but we saw a clean Cab this weekend: dark red w/gold meshies. Sounded good, too. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/10/21 8:58 p.m.

Such a cool truck. 

Just spent the last 30 minutes searching craigslist all over the country. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/11/21 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Find anything? 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/11/21 10:24 a.m.

I had the opportunity to buy my old Dodge Rampage for $2k, running and driving.  I feel like I'm going to kick myself for that.

I loved that truck and now that I need to do more work around the house, having a small pickup would actually be quite useful instead of having to try and add a hitch to our cars and tow a small trailer, etc.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/11/21 10:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Find anything? 

Craigslist was dry ... found this cool website though:

VW trucks for sale

and this one on offer up:

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/13/21 6:50 p.m.

My filthy undercarriage was too much so I went with the recommendation 

Having a blast with this silly thing. I like it so much more than the Avalanche it replaced. I had to haul a dishwasher across town last week and didn't even need to drop the tailgate to load it.

I also widened some 14" mk2 steelies to 7.5" and mounted them with 185/55-14s and I am loving the look.

I also gave the bed its first good wash with CLR.

before

After

Another round or two will do even better.  I think this trucklet has hauled a lot of gravel in its life.. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/13/21 7:21 p.m.
84FSP said:

My buddy just sold this vr6 swapped and painfully restored Caddy.

That pic makes me miss my Golf in the worst way.

That was SUCH an awesome car.  Decent interior compared to modern stuff, cracking handling, the Digifant fed 8v was a willing little mill, and with the 3.67 geared trans it would get silly-good highway economy.  Sure it wasn't technically as snappy as the shorter geared cars, but that meant you just used 2nd and 3rd a lot instead of 3rd and 4th.  Or made the rev limiter your friend in 1st gear on tight courses.  (Only FOOLS would upshift to 2nd and then risk a 2-R downshift)

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/14/21 10:00 a.m.

I'm on the hunt for a corrado vr6.  Thought I had one found but the seller, after months of correspondence, suddenly decided not to sell it.  Ugh!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/14/21 10:07 a.m.
docwyte said:

I'd love to have a caddy.  I don't really need to tow stuff, so a small truck like this is perfect

For a while, we in had someone coming to central Ohio from Indiana someplace, towing a Golf rallycross car behind a Diesel Caddy.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/14/21 10:37 a.m.

Miss my little half ton VW truck. It went on to a friend who tossed in a 16v with dell ortos and ice raced it before being scrapped due to rust.

I have an 87 Roc 2.0 16v currently being turned into a track car. As much as I like my daily driven Mazda 2 it doesn't have nearly the cool factor as an A1 Vdub on 15's with no bumpers.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Excuse my ignorance but why are they called a Caddy?  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/14/21 12:55 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Excuse my ignorance but why are they called a Caddy?  

That was their name.  Like, the model name.  It was a joke in English, like the car was the Golf and the Caddy was the support vehicle.

(Golf was meant to mean the Gulf Stream, in German.  VWs were named after major wind patterns in that timeframe.  Golf, Passat, Scirocco, Jetta...  Nevermind that A1 Golfs were called Rabbits in the US)

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Oh!   Golf as in  the game with the balls and clubs carried by a Caddy. Not short for Cadillac.  
  Thanks.  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/14/21 2:34 p.m.

I miss the 52 mpg but not the leg room. My knees started hurting after dailying it for a few months. That thing looks killer with the MKII steelies Trent.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/14/21 4:30 p.m.
chandler said:

I miss the 52 mpg but not the leg room. My knees started hurting after dailying it for a few months. That thing looks killer with the MKII steelies Trent.

The bubble back window and miata seats make for a shockingly roomy cab, for a caddy. 

I had Corrado seats in my last one because I didn't fit with stock seats. This is a major improvement over that. The bubble window gives a lot more headrest space than you would guess to get rid of that too upright feeling.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/25/21 11:44 a.m.

4 month check in on this thing. Still loving it. 

I bought and parted out an 87 cabby for the dash swap parts and a few other bits.

And that led to some minor roll couple distribution improvements 

I know, front bars on a FWD VW are a point of contention but it needed some level of control and I'm not looking for neutral balance in high speed maneuvers with a 62hp pickup.

The convertible carpet cleaned up nicely so it replaced the manky, threadbare, still a bit stinky "peanut butter" colored mess I had on the floor.

About a week after I acquired the trucklet I ordered a euro style bow headlining kit from Newton commercial in the UK. It took months to get here due to covid restrictions.  Also, us market rabbit pickups never had this feature, just a chunk of vinyl covered cardboardstuffed into the roof. Some of the mounting points aren't even there on the body. It seemed simple enough. 

Made clips

I have done headliners before,  they turned out fine, but when a person who has several Pebble beach "best of show" winning interiors under his belt offers to do it for you, you don't say no. 

First he glued a piece of carpet padding to the roof. This is to give the bows something to rest in so they don't flop around

This is how the bows and clips mount

Then he wrapped the a pillars in the black vinyl provided in the kit

Then Ernesto put the bows through the listings in the headliner and started stretching it and gluing it in place.

All installed.  What I learned from working with a craftsman was that we mechanics use our hands, while a proper trimmer uses his fingertips. I would have stretched the fabric as tight as I could to pull out wrinkles, while Ernie installed it quite loose and shrunk it to fit with a heat gun. He is going to recover these worn and weary visors later so they look as good as the rest.

So now it is reassembly time. But while the dash is out I need to replace the heater core. Problem is, my heater box has melted. I can now see why the controls don't work. The flaps are twisted and sagging and no longer fit the spaces they are supposed to reside.

I have a cabriolet hvac box but the body will need to be modified to mount it. And then I am locked into the German dash swap which will also require significant wiring changes. 

I also managed to crack the windshield. A rock chip was a stress point and as I lifted it while cleaning it for reassembly it went "click "  and a huge line appeared right on the driver's side. 

So Monday starts the search for a new windshield while I figure out how to put a German AC heater box in a Westmoreland built pickup

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
7/25/21 11:58 a.m.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. How are the bows secured in the clips you made, just friction?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/25/21 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

That headliner looks great. Probably nicer than they came from the factory. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/25/21 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

The bows are a straight length of 1/8" steel rod. The clips sit in a hole and hold the bows in their tensioned "bowed" shape.

The original clips (out of stock everywhere) did have prongs to secure them to the metal hole but with the amount of tension everything is under, there is no way they will come loose or rattle :knock on wood:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
62Yoh6SnczbPH0dhEMHCbMQLUlbOeVzwDWvPbw3cSEASfGTTbzi3i2Mrud2Ufqv4