1 2 3 4
Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
11/16/16 7:38 p.m.

I fail to see the foolishness here. I demand pictures!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/16/16 8:15 p.m.

Build it to do 208mph.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
11/16/16 10:23 p.m.
akylekoz wrote: Skip the 93 cobra motor, it's not that special unless you want to restore a cobra.

If the 60s Mustangs are anything to go by, in another 30 years, it will be worth $11tyG. That's right, eleventy BILLION. Because they were worthless today.

(seriously, look up how much original exhaust manifold or Thermactor units are for a Ford anything. Exactly because this stuff was the first thing removed and trash-canned from the performance models) $2000 smog pump
$3300 smog pump pulley (just the pulley)
$675 little bitty hose with the correct stampings
$1200 exhaust manifolds for a 289

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/16/16 10:44 p.m.

Sorry, I've been at work. I still need to touch base with the owner and set up a time to look at it. I should be able to get that squared away tomorrow morning. I'm definitely excited to give it a good once over. Allegedly it also has a tubular k-member.

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
11/17/16 4:08 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Build it to do 208mph in Cars and Coffee parking lot.

Corrected for plausible viability.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/17/16 9:58 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to The_Jed: You know what this needs, a Ford 3.0L SHO V6 with some boost! I happen to have one with most of the things to make it run and a manual trans from a 3.0L ranger that will last for a few minutes behind that combo. Delivered for cheap plus fuel money.

That is an interesting idea! I had considered a 3.8/4.2 V6 but a 3.0 had not occured to me. I'll bet that would yield pretty good weight distribution.

I've sent a message to the middle man. Now to learn a bit about the 3.0!

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
11/17/16 8:30 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
Woody wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Woody wrote: This decision should take you approximately 11 seconds.
Which is 10.8 seconds of trying to figure out how to tell the significant other.
That would be referred to as "reaction time".
Considering his SWMBO is also a board member, she may have found out about it before he made it home.

SWMBO doesn't spend as much time around here as she used to, but the hesitation is warranted. There's a Subaru that still doesn't run and a Crown Vic that needs to clear out before anything else comes home, IMNSHO

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/17/16 9:18 p.m.

In reply to Morbid:

It isn't the outback is it!?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/17/16 9:21 p.m.

Somebody already fixed the chassis with a cage, so shove a 460 and a toploader in there.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/17/16 10:43 p.m.

0In reply to singleslammer:

No, it's my '97 Impreza coupe. It idles and revs fine with part throttle but vociferously protests at anything above 1/4 throttle. My '98 OBS and the wife's '05 Outback 3.0 run great. Also my Crown Vic is no longer actively trying to kill me since it has a new pitman arm... so I don't see what all the hubbub is about.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/17/16 11:25 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

A 460 is definitely tempting. I've been reading VolvoClearingHouse's thread and daydreaming of all the TORKZ!!!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/18/16 11:17 a.m.

Holy cow! The 3.0 SHO engine is capable of 8,500 rpm!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/18/16 12:06 p.m.

Tried initiating contact again...still nada.

This may fizzle the same way lots of my threads and vehicle quests have.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/18/16 2:21 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Holy cow! The 3.0 SHO engine is capable of 8,500 rpm!

I have it on good authority it's probably good for more than that, just the entire front accessory drive isn't

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/20/16 3:33 p.m.

Okay, finally touched base with middle man. He's been working tons of overtime and the owner has been out of town. Our schedules will eventually mesh and I'll get the ball rolling in earnest.

I was able to squeeze out a bit more info. The car is still plumbed for nitrous and the owner has all of the ancillary bits needed to drop in a 460. Including a C4 bellhousing. Already told the wife.

She was THRILLED!!! LOL

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/20/16 4:08 p.m.

All I have to add is

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/20/16 8:02 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I really wanted to see this SHO motor in a fox body but if it is set up for a big block then that makes more sense. You have to come with us Missouri crazies (of Bad DecisionS Motorsports). Got to represent the midwest!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/21/16 7:36 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I think I found you guys on faceyspace. You're a LeMons team, right?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/22/16 10:41 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

No sir, we were Laughing Clown racing at this past challenge. We didn't bother seeing if anyone else was using the name. Lemons is on our wish list though.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/28/18 9:43 a.m.

I had given up on this car and basically forgotten about it until a few weeks ago when the same Jackass mentioned that the owner is now VERY motivated to get the car out of his shed and said Jackass has an old 302 sitting in his HIS shed. Also, the owner of the car reduced the price significantly. 

The wife and I have been kicking around the idea of dabbling in bracket racing at the local 1/8 mile strip, since around here Autocross is rare and Rallycross is nonexistent. When I mentioned the Fox again she was excited and was all for it.

We just looked at the car and it has tons of go fast bits still installed; subframe connectors, 6-point roll bar (with crossbars), tubular control arms, manual steering rack with the u-joint shaft, 5-point harness, fuel cell, line lock, battery box in the hatch, etc...

Yetiwife has posted some pics on her faceyspace. I'll hotlink in a bit.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/28/18 9:50 a.m.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/28/18 9:51 a.m.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/28/18 10:10 a.m.

So you handed the man some cash I hope.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
1/28/18 10:11 a.m.

Do it ! Do it now!

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
1/28/18 10:24 a.m.

I'd bought that at the old price. Fox body stuff is rare around here.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3icYI4higCdumMM5tTAeJI7BgnPJdNuLNrxN0Hx2iqgrPYIBNkLHyebmZN3gzy9l