1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/19/19 4:36 p.m.

It's been two and a half years since I last played in the cones, and I'm starting to miss it dearly. I've got my third gen Camaro, but it needs a complete refresh, and I've got a big ole line of house projects that need to be done before I can even think to start working on it.

So, the tentative plan is to replace my TrailBlazer with a "regular" car.

The priorities here are this:

1.) Four doors (five passenger)

2.) Midsize or larger.

3.) No bench seat.

4.) Be very reliable and easy to repair.

5.) Little to no modifications.

6.) Be between 10 and 15 years old.

Right now the candidates are cars like the Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Altima, etc.

I literally want to do nothing besides maintenance to the car, I'm not changing seats, I'm not upgrading sway bars or swapping engines. I don't even plan on buying sticky tires. I want to take what most people would consider a boring daily driver, and take it to the races. I know I won't win, I know I won't be competitive, and I don't care. I just want to get back in there.

P71s have E36 M3ty seats, most European cars are expensive to maintain, and I'd rather not spend my time picking through trying to find a manual transmission Maxima, there rare as hen's teeth and the wife cannot drive stick anyway.

So yeah, I guess I'll be the guy racing a 4 cylinder Camry on all seasons.

What do you suggest?

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
3/19/19 4:39 p.m.

Manual, V6, Accord. End of thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/19/19 4:43 p.m.

IS300
G35
G8

Or literally anything front wheel drive, but that would be boring.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/19/19 4:50 p.m.

First gen Mazdaspeed3's are in the $5000 range right now

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/19/19 5:09 p.m.

Infiniti M56

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
3/19/19 5:15 p.m.

Maybe doesn't tick the "midsized" box, but we've got a locally successful HS driver who runs a 2.5 liter Golf/Rabbit.  

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/19/19 5:16 p.m.

Back in 2008-09 I could beat HS Minis in a 2.3 Mazda6 (2007 sport).  They have wishbones, not struts.  Handle quite good.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/19/19 5:23 p.m.

GTI all day would be my pick

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/19/19 5:29 p.m.

I would get a 3.7L Mazda6. They haul ass even with automatics and are completely normal family cars with just that 'mazda touch' of sportiness. 

If those aren't fast enough for you, that M56 is a hell of a suggestion. Disable the traction and stability control and I guarantee you'll stay busy behind the wheel. Nice luxury sedan the rest of the time, too. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/19/19 5:48 p.m.

Two Miatas. cheeky

FWD and automatic is likely gonna mean a lot of tire spin.  Any interesting AWD offerings?  That Saab 9-3X seems pretty zippy.  My VR6 Passat is no slouch.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/19/19 6:29 p.m.

G8 was my first thought, I'm sure the GTs haven't depreciated much.

I did entertain a Mazda 6.

Didn't they only make the sedan V6/6MT Accord for a couple of years?

I'm not sure if GTIs are big enough. Kids are growing bigger and I haul them all often enough that it's a concern. Same deal with the Mazdaspeed3.

I like the M45, but I have seen exactly three in my lifetime. I'm not ruling it out, but I think it might be a tad bit too obscure for what I'm looking for.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/19/19 6:31 p.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon :

Refresh the Camaro

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
3/19/19 8:01 p.m.

G8 GTs still aren't that cheap, but Caprice PPVs are...

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
3/19/19 9:55 p.m.
MTechnically said:

Manual, V6, Accord. End of thread.

Almost this... swap for a Manual 04-06 TL instead of an Accord. All the good stuff of the Accord with a mechanical LSD to boot! 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/19/19 10:05 p.m.

I had a ton of fun playing with my dad mobile. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
3/19/19 10:21 p.m.

I don't see any mention of your budget for this. Was that intentional?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
3/20/19 1:36 a.m.

E39 M5

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/20/19 5:44 a.m.

A new-ish Focus isn't a bad idea. The basic chassis is good and they are quite good as a car. I'm also a fan of the 2.5 VW Rabbit which you might be able to get with a DSG to make the wife happy without giving up much if anything in AX. Both of these are at the small end of midsize, and that's for a reason. Weight and lack of camber and tire death. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/20/19 6:06 a.m.

I came in here to say Infiniti G35, and see Mazdeuce has already said it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/20/19 6:54 a.m.

I'll third the G35 Sedan. They can be had for very little money. They can also be had with a 6 speed. The wife is looking at those to replace her Mustang. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/20/19 7:17 a.m.

So I would suggest looking over the solo nationals results to find something that is really good.  Just look at the stock results- https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-archives

One easy standout, if you can find one, is an M3.  Those show up all over the stock classes.

The other one, that I didn't expect, in HS that trophied in 2nd place is a Honda Accord,

The gross majority of 4 door cars are compact- lots of Focuses and Civics and GTIs.

But it sure seems that you can find a 2010 Accord that should fit your budget.  And if you are lucky, a BMW M3.

BTW, it's interesting to note that in the entire GS field, there was not a single BMW in it- even though the 3 series from '84-'13 all are there.

When you are starting (or re-starting) with an empty plate, I always suggest to copy instead of invent.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/20/19 7:29 a.m.

Pick a car you can live with every day and fits those needs first. Then take it to an autox. Seriously I've autox'd some of the WORST auto-x ready cars on the planet and they were likely some of the most fun. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/20/19 7:46 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Pick a car you can live with every day and fits those needs first. Then take it to an autox. Seriously I've autox'd some of the WORST auto-x ready cars on the planet and they were likely some of the most fun. 

This. Which is why an accord seems obvious. V6 and 3rd pedal are nice, but very optional for having fun. 

Sla/multilink is my fav, but sucks when all the rubber in your 10yr old beater all evaporates at once. For 'dont touch it' ownership, go with a mcstrut car imho.

Most engines are fine with regular oil changes. I'd make sure whatever trans is happy with abuse. Some early 00s honda v6 trans are suspect, but apparently fixed around 07, 4cyl were ok iirc. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/20/19 7:52 a.m.

I agree with Bob, sort of. Almost anything is fun, but there are standouts that make you sad after a year of events. Something with good DNA is helpful to your enjoyment long term. 

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
3/20/19 7:54 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Echoing this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pQ9Q2RSZMUZ35hXVvasTtG6zbExyGiKfTBKbEJ71thxIzsvI980UPDSLEyDcaUNM