1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/20/19 7:55 a.m.

Civic or GTI on the smaller side. 

Accord or 3-Series on the middle size.

Lot's of people autocross Elantras and Sentras and S60s and Fusions and Solaras and Stratuses. (stratti?)  The point being that driving almost anything is better than spectating.  

You may also want to look into this: 

The SS package came with and without a supercharger or turbocharger.  Without the engine mods, they are a typical GM 4-door sedan that you can live with every day that just happen to have a great suspension package when you get on it.  With the engine mods, they are seriously quick.  And should your desire to race grow, you can always modify these to your heart's desire. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/20/19 10:16 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I had a ton of fun playing with my dad mobile. 

I have yet to take my W-body Buick Regal to an autocross, but I did manage to get it up to decent speeds around Road Atlanta once.  The W-body performance packages (Regal GS, Impala SS, Grand Prix GTP) are, well, more entertaining than you'd expect a GM family car to be, even if they're not as light on their feet as a Civic or Focus.

Another car that I'd expect to be rather amusing on an autocross even if it doesn't put down the best times would be a Dodge Charger or one of its platform mates. These boats may not be the best way to do an autocross well, but they look like they'd be a good way to enjoy autocrossing badly.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
3/20/19 11:43 a.m.

I see the V8 5.3L FWD variants of the Grand Prix, Lacrosse and Impala for great prices quite often. No idea, what they'd be like to track, but sure seem like they would make a nice-sized do-it-all daily.

I believe it was the Grand Prix GTP, Impala SS and Buick Lacrosse Super? (it had 4 port holes on the front fender instead of 3).

Also, Acura TL and Accord V6 are great options, those J-series motors sound great (I've owned 3 so far).

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
3/20/19 12:29 p.m.

I'm also saying G35. They're getting so cheap now.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
3/20/19 12:34 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

That's what I would do. The sedans don't seem to be as abused as the coupes and I see manual transmission ones for sale regularly.

You'll need to verify this, but I've read somewhere that the sedans are lighter due to the big doors on the coupe.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/20/19 1:28 p.m.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/20/19 1:45 p.m.
Floating Doc said:
maschinenbau said:

That's what I would do. The sedans don't seem to be as abused as the coupes and I see manual transmission ones for sale regularly.

You'll need to verify this, but I've read somewhere that the sedans are lighter due to the big doors on the coupe.

That's what I remember hearing too. Funnily enough I chose that Grand Prix over a manual G35 sedan when I bought it. The GP was a Comp G package and I thought that was the cooler option.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/20/19 2:47 p.m.
rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
3/20/19 3:00 p.m.

I had a blast with my 2008 Civic Si sedan (FA5). Comfortable, reliable, decent sound system and fun to hustle. Anything heavy sucks, for example I had more fun with the V6 mustang around the cones than the GT. For HPDE the case would be different. Mazdaspeed 3 is a heavy, understeering pig that absolutely chews front tires, would not recommend.

Pick a DD that you are happy with it will work in autox. I have taken out a 5 speed oldsmobile and an auto, stock FIT and had a blast. Optimizing your car choice around autox is not a good idea.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/20/19 3:05 p.m.
MTechnically said:

Manual, V6, Accord. End of thread.

Was going to post the same. Seen these go might good around the cone course. Then become a nice car for the drive home. Yay soft compound tires.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/20/19 3:20 p.m.

Honestly the First gen Forte was unbelievably fun even bone stock on all season tires. The two downsides were the lack of door sound deadening that made road noise higher than it should be and the most numb clutch I've ever felt. It made good power, great handling, large rear seat (I could sit behind myself and have leg room), 35mpg on the highway below 75mph and a really, really good stereo. I miss that car. I did the dumb

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/20/19 5:08 p.m.

400+ hp for less than $18k and sounds like solid maintenance records and tasteful mods.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/20/19 7:00 p.m.
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/22/19 2:09 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Pick a car you can live with every day and fits those needs first. Then take it to an autox. Seriously I've autox'd some of the WORST auto-x ready cars on the planet and they were likely some of the most fun. 

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in my OP, if it wasn't very clear I apologize.

When I went to my very first autocross, there was a couple of drivers sharing an Impala. It was that damn pewter color that every other car GM built back then, and I think it even had Walmart hubcaps. It had stupid amounts of body roll and they ended every run giggling like school kids.

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/22/19 2:14 p.m.
BoostedBrandon said:
bobzilla said:

Pick a car you can live with every day and fits those needs first. Then take it to an autox. Seriously I've autox'd some of the WORST auto-x ready cars on the planet and they were likely some of the most fun. 

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in my OP, if it wasn't very clear I apologize.

When I went to my very first autocross, there was a couple of drivers sharing an Impala. It was that damn pewter color that every other car GM built back then, and I think it even had Walmart hubcaps. It had stupid amounts of body roll and they ended every run giggling like school kids.

stuff like this is fun every once in a while.. but unless you have others to play with.. it gets lonely and boring quickly IMHO. 

Mazdeuce and I had a blast running the NA miata on all seasons... all the hooning... but i dont' want to do that every event.. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/22/19 6:09 p.m.

Found some LS4 powered cars for good prices. That's leading the charge right now. The only thing that really worries me is the cylinder deactivation repair being expensive. I know we all love power, and lots of people delete it, but I'd really like the added MPG, as that's a selling point for going back to a car vs. an SUV.

This is meant to be a DD that sees a few autocrosses, until the third gen is ready.

I found one that has some issues, that is open to trades. Going to think about it overnight and maybe email him in the morning. 2006 Impala SS The oil leak has me concerned, might be a real sonofabitch to fix.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/22/19 9:59 p.m.

I've driven those Impalas and my general opinion is don't buy it unless you're planning to mod it in a way that is only cheaply possible because it's an LS. The cars aren't super fast. I'd say they're more special for their part-throttle acceleration then their full-throttle acceleration, if that makes sense. A G35 is not much if at all slower once you're WOT. It also feels sporty and has a 'nice' interior. The Impala SS is just a regular old Impala with a crapload of low end torque. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
3/22/19 10:26 p.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon :

I recall reading somewhere that the transmissions were fragile. Might want to consider learning more about that.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/23/19 12:30 a.m.

Subaru Legacy Sedan or Wagon..! Also, what's the budget to work with?

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/24/19 8:43 a.m.

Budget is, um, 3000ish.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
3/24/19 8:54 a.m.
BoostedBrandon said:
bobzilla said:

That’s why group 1 I Vintage racing is so popular.  Those 54 horsepower antiques can be driven flat out and you win or lose by inches after a race long dice.

Sure their too speed is only 75 mph and their cornering power is similar to their top speed. But it feels fast!  

Everybody comes in after the race giving thumbs up smiling, laughing, happy even placing 16th because their buddy was 15th or 17 and they knew they’d driven the race of their life.  

The race of Gentlemen is the same deal.  Those 4 banger Ford model T’s May have only 30 horsepower but they are fun

Racing should be fun!  Maybe we are doing it all wrong!  Small amounts of power, cornering, stopping seem to produce big amounts of smiles and laughter. 

The original idea of LeMons and Champcar racing was racing on the cheap!  Not serious!  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/24/19 9:03 a.m.

Here's a V6 Manual Accord, in Ohio, under budget

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Honda-Accord-EX-L/183742830614?hash=item2ac7ed1816:i:183742830614&frcectupt=true

And it's the one suggestion that has trophied at Nationals.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LRtb3rPlPET1yP4VyelVI8beEZb5UGs1xKQNFUnGCBepvCJFWD4KF7m9hi3WYDFk