G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/4/16 8:40 p.m.

So a friend of mine is wanting me to come and check out a potential purchase - a 1975 R107 450SL. It's $8k, and in good shape from the photos, but I need to know some of the ins and outs of that particular model. I know that the 75 models vapor lock because of the cat placement, and I know that the cars are painted after assembly, so if the paint is broken around the screws, be suspicious. Otherwise, I'm fairly clueless. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/4/16 9:06 p.m.

Google say....http://mbworld.org/forums/sl-slc-class-r107/111790-known-issues-problems-r107.html Seriously though check mb forums for better luck than grm.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/4/16 9:13 p.m.

Suspension rebuilds are $$$, check that out carefully. If it's never had a timing chain and guides it's due. A old Mercedes doesn't nickle and dime, it $5 and $10s, hence the huge price difference between an alright driver and a nice one, that little stuff adds up. People may also suspect you of narcotics trafficking if you own one.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/4/16 9:27 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Suspension bits and timing chain. Thanks!

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
3/5/16 12:22 a.m.

Maintenance records are worth a premium. They are grassroots friendly cars, but some parts can be a little hefty, like calipers. I would definitely check the wheels after a test drive to see if they're warm. In addition to that, suspension, and timing chain service, I would add lubrication, fluids (power steering; brake), and braking components. If it is rarely driven with sporadic maintenance, I would budget quite a bit for refreshing. Or pass.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
3/5/16 2:15 a.m.

The engine is more or less bulletproof. I've never heard of one having a diff issue. Usual issues are wiring, wire insulation gets crunchy and falls off and ignition systems. For some reason, people don't maintain ignitions systems on these cars. The cap and rotor are cheap, the plug wires are crazy expensive. Transmissions are the main reason these cars end up in the junkyard. Some people like to say these cars have cooling issues. I like to say if you have 300,000 miles on a car and have never changed the coolant, you have a maintenance issue, not a coolant issue.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
3/5/16 4:12 p.m.

Go for it. Suspension isn't that expensive at all. And timing chain guides are diy jobs. R107's have done nothing but increase in value.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
3/5/16 4:49 p.m.

You can get a set of wires for under $100 bucks, not cheap but not crazy, karlyn sti and another brand are supposed be good, if you go for Beru you are talking a few hundred though. Some people have issues with the bosch cables, I'm using them and they are fine for me.

Rust is a killer on these cars, some times undercoating is the only thing holding them together. The D-jet efi system might give you fits, a cleaning of the differention and ignition stuff in there is in order, many people switch to modern ignition and fuel management. The fuel pumps are $$$$ for the efi cars but there is a modern pump from a nissan you can use.

There was a recall on the front subrame for the early cars before 1985 so check that the subframe is isn't cracked and either get the update or have gussets welded in. Oh subframe bushing for the r107 are like $400 and unique to the r107 chassis.

Get on the benzworld r107 forum and search the EG sticky at the top of the form spell out many of the issues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rIPsOZUUXOKLj9nqKgWg4tBZjHGdYbMrSVdUUhobOE57CQ7AUxosiUAdZhZbko0t