1 2 3 4 5

Wine again. My doctor at the VA said it's better for me than beer and I use it as an off switch to slow myself down and close out work for the day. I'm done for the day, but far from done. After pacing around the garage today trying to get started, I decided to keep the disassembled BMW R50/5. Parts are 90% useable for my R60/5. I loaded it in the 5x8 trailer along with some stray seats and brought it to the storage unit. I pulled five seats (some bare frame Boxster seats and 2 Jetta), two convertible tops, and misc VW parts out of storage and did another trip to the dump. A fair trade.

I wanted to do a big load of metal to the scrap yard today, but my body wasn't up to it. After crushing vertebrae in my lower back in the 90s, I've learned to listen to the pain and moderate my work when it starts to shift from the steady ache to the sharp stab.

I took a long lunch break and modified the plan. Goal of car and R60 back in the garage and enough space to continue working in the garage later this week without climbing over anything. As the debris started to clear I was really happy to find that all of my engines were still on Harbor Freight moving dollies and could be pushed around with little effort.

I quit for the night after Mrs AAZCD told me that the progress looked great and that she had just put my dinner in the fridge since I wasn't there to eat it. I didn't get as far as I had planned to or wanted to, but I'm happy. Over the next week I can do 30 minutes to an hour each night inside the garage. There's a lot of stuff in there that I don't want and a lot of stuff that needs to be put back in the right place. I'm going to focus on that next, now that there's a little more space to move around and see stuff. This is by no means an 'after' picture, but if I roll the bike out I actually have decent space. All that clutter along the wall is next.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/1/21 9:30 a.m.

Sell me a good boxster S and clear out your driveway!  HAha!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/1/21 10:56 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD-PorscheHoarder-Jon (Occasional Forum Supporter) :

that is great progress!  nice work!

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/1/21 11:18 a.m.

Dallas isn't that far. You could haul a truckload of Boxster parts down here for one of the PCA swap meets.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Dallas isn't that far. You could haul a truckload of Boxster parts down here for one of the PCA swap meets.

That actually sounds like a good idea for a weekend trip some time.

I've hardly done anything since the last post. 12+ hour long days at work make it hard to stick with the plan of getting a little part accomplished every night. Other demands take priority in the short night hours before I need to sleep. There's a box of stuff ready to ship to Jfry and one almost ready for obsolete. I should have details ready for Javelin on Wednesday - my next day off. The scrap yard run is the next big thing that needs to happen and it will probably be a couple trips as I sort and cut down whats left.

There's a 2.0L Jetta engine behind the motorcycle in my last pic. That was a complete subframe drop along with the transmission, steering rack, and much of the suspension. I could scrap the whole thing, but decided that I want to pull stuff off that will be handy for the 'good' 2.0L engine that I'm probably holding onto. That is where I plan to focus next. Pull the harness along with the bracket that holds the AC compressor, PS pump, and alternator, then have a good look at it before I lift it onto the trailer for scrap.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/6/21 2:36 p.m.

You're doing good! 

Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

You're doing good! 

So are you! I'm going to look at those US General toolboxes after I clear a good space to put one.

Here's where I'm at on the stuff you want to buy: Wind Deflectors - Currently over $100 ea BIN on eBay. I'll ship the pair in like new condition for $120. It took me a week to find them because they were exactly where they were supposed to be on a shelf of Boxster parts in a box labeled "Hoop Wind Deflectors". 'Plain sight' is the hardest place to see stuff like that.

The drivers side exhaust manifold with cat is not perfect. I have two options. One has oil in it from a catastrophic engine failure and the other looks a little bit degraded. I expect that the one with oil will burn the oil out and be fine - I've done that before with another. The other one looks like some of the cat material has started breaking. I don't really know much about cats, but figured a pic looking in the O2 sensor hole would be the best way to judge them without installing them in a car. Here's what I got.

Oily:

Maybe degraded:

I'll do $225 shipped for either.

You may be interested in this comparable one on eBay that includes the secondary cat: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233704277038? It's the best price I could find for one that looks good and they do seem to have a defective item free return policy.

Shipped stuff:

Jfry should receive a box of stuff on Tuesday.

obsolete's box of garage junk should arrive on Monday including a totally awesome still in the box Bluetooth stereo: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/how-bad-is-a-sub-10-head-unit-lets-find-out/145619/page1/  I bought two in 2018 and haven't got around to installing either yet.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/9/21 12:17 a.m.

Thanks!  Looking forward to it!   And nice job moving things along

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/9/21 5:51 a.m.

I want you to know that this thread inspired me and I started Sunday.

That and another user, who Im not sure who it is, but he's got a youtube channel like plays with cars or something.

I got out there and spent 30+ minutes a night.

First night was just getting some trash out. I filled up a bag with various things like old mail, amazon packaging, etc

I'll post pics as I go (I took about 5 before starting). I guess I can start a new thread somewhere

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
12/9/21 6:05 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

I want you to know that this thread inspired me and I started Sunday.

That and another user, who Im not sure who it is, but he's got a youtube channel like plays with cars or something.

Believe that's Javelin

12/9/21 9:57 a.m.

I will take the oil soaked one!

On the wind deflectors, are they the same side to side? I found ONE in my garage so far so if they're the same and you also have one...

Otherwise I'll take the 2 and I'll have 3. 

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I'm about to head to the garage to start stripping the VW 2.0L and saw that you just posted... Yes, the deflectors are specific to left and right. I have one more good left/driver side. I'm fine with selling you one for $65 shipped whichever side you need. The others I'll probably put on the 986Forum.

Check the one that you have carefully for cracked tabs. They get very brittle from sun exposure. I recommend using some 3m double-sided tape to install them if you plan to keep them in, or a couple zip-ties if you may remove them in the future.

Here's my public PayPal link: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/JonCarparts

12/9/21 1:50 p.m.

Nuts, mine is also a driver's side. It has one tab wrapped up in electrical tape. I do have a spare center divider. 

I'll take the pair and the oily cat. Do you want F&F or G&S?

F&F is good for me, but either is fine. I don't track any of this as business,  but if the IRS ever asks for a balance sheet, I'm  sure I'd be well underwater considering my labor and shipping costs.

The 2.0L VW subframe-engine-mess went to the scrapyard yesterday along with enough other junk to make it over 1,000 lbs and $120 for my trouble. It was a relief to find that they accepted wheels with tires. I brought 7 and they were good for $4 each. Not that it was about money, but it's nice to get money for trash instead of paying to be rid of it. What I kept from the 2.0L engine is in a plastic tub that can be set aside in storage until I decide what to do with the remaining 2.0L engine.

There's still plenty more metal - at least one V6 engine, transmission, steering racks... - that I will haul away before I seriously dig in to projects. Next on the garage cleaning agenda is clearing out my power tool shelf. There's a stack of LED lights there that I should replace my 8' florescent tubes with. Should I keep the florescent lights up as supplemental back-up? I have painted cars in this garage and you can never have too much lighting.

12/10/21 4:34 p.m.
AAZCD-PorscheHoarder-Jon (Occasional Forum Supporter) said:

F&F is good for me, but either is fine. I don't track any of this as business,  but if the IRS ever asks for a balance sheet, I'm  sure I'd be well underwater considering my labor and shipping costs.

$$$ sent for the DS oily cat and pair of wind deflectors. Thanks!!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/10/21 5:31 p.m.

I replaced all the flourescent bulbs in my garage with LED ones recently.  I took all the flourescent bulbs to my office, I can still use them in my basement fixtures

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/10/21 9:34 p.m.

When I switched to LEDs in my shop, I gave away the incandescent bulbs. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/11/21 7:39 a.m.

Keep going!  I sent away a car yesterday and have a growing scrap pile.  Took in 13 batteries and 40+ pounds of brass so far plus 8 aluminum wheels.  I dismounted them first because i have a source to get rid of tires for free.  It's an inconvenience but nobody close enough to me pays for wheels with a tire still on 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/13/21 8:26 p.m.

I shipped a package to Javelin today that included a rear view mirror for his Boxster. I cautioned him about installing it because I had cracked the windshield on an Audi once trying to pop a mirror back on. ...coincidentally this was just posted by Steved0x on the 986 Forum today:

12/15/21 2:12 p.m.

Well... Nothing. and a few other things.

During my off week (of my week-on, week-off work schedule) I worked Friday day, then Saturday and Sunday nights. I woke up a little before noon on Monday when my daughter called. My 9 month old grandson had been kicked out of daycare for vomiting on a caregiver (no sick kids allowed) and was with my 'pretty much son in law' working at a collision repair shop. Could I watch him for the rest of the day? Sure. Turns out he's not really 'sick' just has a mild ear infection and is teething. Mrs AAZCD is busy with volunteer work. Looks like it's just me and Grayson and not a good garage day.

In the evening, a friend calls. Can I get a look at his truck? It's not starting. A moment of troubleshooting shows that the truck is out of gas. We get it to the gas station and pump in a half tank, all seemed good. I agreed to come back Tuesday to winterize his riding mower and help with a couple other things. He's a retired accountant; very smart and detail oriented, but not 'mechanically inclined'.

Tuesday Grayson arrived at 8 am. Mrs AAZCD and I agreed to alternate watching him through the day. I kept busy with him most of the morning, then went to help out my accountant friend after lunch. The truck is having trouble starting again. The front gas tank was out of gas again. No way did he use that much gas. I noticed fuel dripping at the back of the bed. It was coming from the rear gas tank filler that hasn't been used or filled since about 2015. I opened the gas cap and it geysered out onto my arm.

I had replaced the front tank and fuel sender a few months ago for him. It seems that the unit in the rear tank has completely failed now. Whenever the front fuel pump runs, it circulates the fuel to the rear tank. Now the engine doesn't get enough fuel until the rear tank builds pressure. Not good. We limped his truck over to my garage. I already have a pump and sender that will probably work for the rear tank (I've had a lot of old Ford trucks in my past). Last night I managed to get the spare tire dropped from under the rear tank. I'd hate to have to do that on a roadside, it took 20 minutes in my driveway to get the bolts that hadn't turned for 20 years free. I still need to drain the full 18 gallon tank and figure out what to do with that much gas.

I'm back at work on 12 hour day shift for three days, then switching to night shift for four. Hoping the night shift days can be like a day off. Organizing the garage is taking a lot longer than I had expected, but I'm not giving up.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/21 8:19 p.m.

What to do with that much gas? How big is the front tank? Can you rig an external pump and a couple lines and pump the fuel in the rear tank to the front?

12/15/21 10:20 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Good idea! The front tank is 19 gallons. I don't have a good pump to do it directly,  but I can extract the gas a few gallons at a time and dump it into the front.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nr3iLtk6xd2mfUv1lrKOmFrvBcerUcHMYJvJpE9oLTudLiInbuwHRoPLWF0KR3KO