1 2
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/8/21 5:16 p.m.

We volunteer for a local wildlife rescue & they got a message about a turtle that was hit by a car. The finder was on his way to work at the local O'Riley's so that's where I picked her up. Fortunately she seems fine, but we'll keep her overnight for observation, a bath, and a good meal. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/8/21 6:11 p.m.

And the next thing ya know the rabbit is going to want more attention not to mention 'PHATKAT' wink 

7/8/21 6:45 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Oh Fat Cat is with our oldest daughter now that she's back stateside, and he's spoiled rotten!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/8/21 6:47 p.m.

That looks like a...

Box turtle. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/8/21 6:57 p.m.

Whats the core charge on something like that?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
7/8/21 9:19 p.m.

Discount on turtle wax? Too easy?

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/8/21 9:36 p.m.

I've moved five out of the road so far this year - all painted turtles. Around here it's almost always those or snappers. Not nearly as many box turtles as there used to be.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/8/21 9:41 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I let snappers find their own way off the road

7/9/21 5:37 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

As long as you stay away from the snappy bits they're ok. It's just that there's a good chance the opposite end is gonna pee on you when you pick them up. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/9/21 6:28 a.m.

Thanks Pete for doing this kind of work.  I have saved many a turtle crossing a street over the years and you are quite correct.  Both ends of a turtle can be problematic when picking them up.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/9/21 6:57 a.m.

Still faster than that compressor....

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/9/21 7:00 a.m.

I stopped and helped one cross the street last night! He took off when I put him in the grass!! (In the direction he was heading initially.) 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
7/9/21 7:16 a.m.

Remind me please...

You move them the direction they were headed, correct?

Thanks!

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
7/9/21 9:16 a.m.

The ever popular Red-Eared Sliders, often mistakenly referred to as Painted Turtles, are a highly (in the top 100 worst) invasive species in many parts of the country/world. Apply this knowledge accordingly depending on where you find them.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/9/21 9:18 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Remind me please...

Thanks!

That's what I've read.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/9/21 10:35 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Snappers need help sometimes too. Pick them up by the shell, on the sides slightly toward the rear. There's an area roughly above the rear legs where you can pick them up with minimal exposure to the claws, and none to the biting end. I've done it many times, and I still have all my fingers.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/9/21 12:01 p.m.

Snappers can live to over 100, there really aren't all that many of them. They're really just curmudgeons that want to be left alone to live their lives and to eat the occasional baby duck when they tire of eating flesh of dead or injured fish. They can use a hand as much as anything else out there. 

7/9/21 6:58 p.m.
Saron81 said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Remind me please...

Thanks!

That's what I've read.

Correct. Although there's plenty of indecisive turtles out there, so it's a good idea to watch them a bit & make sure they keep heading away from the road, if you can. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/9/21 7:01 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Snappers can live to over 100, there really aren't all that many of them. They're really just curmudgeons that want to be left alone to live their lives and to eat the occasional baby duck when they tire of eating flesh of dead or injured fish. They can use a hand as much as anything else out there. 

I've met a few that would gladly take a hand...

in place of a duckling or dead fish. smiley

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/21 7:28 p.m.

The pond behind my place when I was a kid had a thriving snapper population. You learn to respect what is basically a dinosaur that is as big as a manhole cover and wants a piece of you. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
7/9/21 8:00 p.m.

I came across this guy sliding along the curb one afternoon. There were three people trying to figure out what to do and as I stopped one guy was reaching to pick him up.  He was going to grab him by the sides and I quickly told him the neck is about as long as the shell and he'll get you if you grab him that way.  He stepped back and I grabbed him by the skirt between his back feet and tail and put him in the truck.

I looked which way he was heading and realized there is no open water for about 10 blocks across a busy road.  I took him 2 blocks the other way and put him in a spot I thought he would like.

About a year later my son came home with a picture of a turtle he saw near the spot I left him.  Some close inspection comparing pictures and it is the same turtle.

corolla2tcte27
corolla2tcte27 New Reader
7/10/21 12:16 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yes, if you point them the wrong way or remove them from their home range they will die trying to get back home.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/10/21 5:32 a.m.

I've moved a soft shell snapper safely. Very intimidating animal when you know how far they can extend their necks. 

I didn't want to pick it up at all, but he was heading down the middle of the street towards the busy road in front of the development. I grabbed the back of the shell just next to the back legs. 

Here in Florida, the usual chelonian to see trying to cross a road is the gopher tortoise. I've moved a bunch. They're a pretty cool animal that lives in burrows that provide habitat for a bunch of other species.

They're now officially a threatened species due to our determination to pave or develop the entire state. 

7/10/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

We supposedly have gopher tortoises here, but I've yet to actually see one. That's definitely not good news for it's survival. 

car39
car39 Dork
7/10/21 10:34 a.m.

I've known a few parts counter people that would make him look fast.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CNNPJBbYVx6g2wCSMYvNZrOB9u7B6brgjhQx6ot25Dd1PFel9X7L6wr5iyfKPpLG