1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/30/21 7:05 p.m.

I have been jonesing for a proper off-road Cayenne in Transsyberia style for years.

This can't be a terrible idea as a starting point, right?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/30/21 7:06 p.m.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
12/30/21 7:09 p.m.

I think standard Porsche advise applies here:

Get the best documented / cared for one you can afford

Pre-Purchase Inspection    

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
12/30/21 7:10 p.m.

Pffff. Standard Porsche advise? Snore! This is so... YOU! 

I'd normally say RUN the other direction. But for Javelin, I say, do it! Just seems like something you would do. :)

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/30/21 7:13 p.m.

You, just need a little orange toch-up paint and you're there [and maybe a full suspension refresh with the heavy duty stuff]. Ask AnthonyGS about the guy with the Cayenne in his Rallycross group. I loved my Cayennes and only moved to the Touareg for the lower priced TDI.

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
12/30/21 7:33 p.m.

Why stop at the wheels with the orange??

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/30/21 7:36 p.m.
Type Q said:

Pre-Purchase Inspection    

Uhhh... You do know that I bought a 230K mile 1989 Porsche 944 S2 sight unseen and drove it from Florida to Washington, right?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/30/21 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

That is exactly the video that rekindled that fire (that and the 8" of snow we've had for a week).

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
12/30/21 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I was going to ask, but I ended up being a little more coy about it.       I really like my Jeeps, but that Porsche looked incredible out there.   I was wondering how it would look in a Gulf livery...

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
12/30/21 7:42 p.m.

Oh, wait.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/30/21 7:46 p.m.

It looks nice, can't be that bad lol

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/30/21 7:57 p.m.

After careful market pricing analysis Karz N More came up with $8888 as the price?  Huh

What is the "More"?  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
12/30/21 8:01 p.m.

I think you should buy it and document the process. An empty pocket is a happy pocket. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/30/21 8:06 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

After careful market pricing analysis Karz N More came up with $8888 as the price?  Huh

What is the "More"?  

There is another Karz in Longview, run by a different brother than the 2 that run this one. Back when I was selling car parts it was quite the soap opera. There's some prison time involved. Ah, small town sketchy car lots, gotta love them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/30/21 8:08 p.m.
Javelin said:
Type Q said:

Pre-Purchase Inspection    

Uhhh... You do know that I bought a 230K mile 1989 Porsche 944 S2 sight unseen and drove it from Florida to Washington, right?

Yeah, but that's really a VW. 

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
12/30/21 8:08 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

What is the "More"?  

More Karz. They are a Longview WA staple!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/30/21 8:11 p.m.

Sure, why not. 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
12/30/21 8:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Javelin said:
Type Q said:

Pre-Purchase Inspection    

I believe you bought a well maintained (and documented) car from an enthusiast. Something off a low overhead used car lot with unknown history is a different matter.   

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
12/30/21 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Yaaassssss!

Edit to add: besides the other internet gold replies to Javelin:  Hey, what could go wrong?!   This isn’t one of the diesel monsters that you have to take the whole car apart to change something minor like the fuel pump is it?  The one with the special engine lift part? That would be awesome!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/30/21 9:15 p.m.

If you knew how good these rallycrossed in GTS trim, you'd have already done it.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/30/21 9:16 p.m.
Type Q said:
Keith Tanner said:
Javelin said:
Type Q said:

Pre-Purchase Inspection    

I believe you bought a well maintained (and documented) car from an enthusiast. Something off a low overhead used car lot with unknown history is a different matter.   

Well yeah, but the car lot car only has to make it 6 miles home...

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/30/21 9:18 p.m.

As a counterpoint (encouragement), a few years ago I bought a '93 Mercedes 400E with ~180k on it at some tiny used car lot in rural VA (outside Richmond) where literally every other car was a Ford or Chevy.  A little pre-trip googling told me it'd been on the lot for 4 months already, I had cash and got it for $1700 I think. It's got a problem now, but after 4 years and ~25k miles with nothing but regular maint, no complaints.

So yeah. Go for it...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/30/21 10:16 p.m.

Uh, NO!  Cayenne's can have a laundry list of issues, most of them extremely expensive to fix.  There's simply no way I'd buy one from a dealer without extensive service records and even then I wouldn't buy one with the mileage that one has.  My old Cayenne turbo s decided to have either a very expensive internal engine issue or bad turbos at the same mileage, which basically mechanically totalled it.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
12/30/21 10:26 p.m.
docwyte said:

Uh, NO!  Cayenne's can have a laundry list of issues, most of them extremely expensive to fix.  There's simply no way I'd buy one from a dealer without extensive service records and even then I wouldn't buy one with the mileage that one has.  My old Cayenne turbo s decided to have either a very expensive internal engine issue or bad turbos at the same mileage, which basically mechanically totalled it.

what the Doc said.....run away.....now

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/30/21 10:52 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

Are you still in Virginia? Want to sell it?  I like me those 400E's. Is it black? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
17zByHihH7Ec7rj0pyCA36CUVDx9NyQCPF0cRu8MrYA4FcR1RC3kvNsU4qySvHql