1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 6:19 p.m.

I have a little less than 11 days to get everything done and have my Boxster all ready for my first time trial! It's a regional SCCA event (the first one ever I think, although we did get a national tour last year) and I'm super excited. I've done a half dozen track days and this is the logical next step. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/22/21 6:35 p.m.

Awesome! This is at PIR?

I've run a couple of them. They are by far my favorite track event. Have fun!

3/22/21 7:40 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

Awesome! This is at PIR?

Correct!

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
3/22/21 8:05 p.m.

Have fun.

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
3/22/21 8:14 p.m.

Very cool!

3/24/21 4:04 p.m.

Here we go! I detail out the changes needed to prep for TT.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
3/24/21 6:12 p.m.

Go hard on your warm up lap to clean and heat the tires.

full bore long before the green flag

3/24/21 6:31 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Good tips! At PRE Racing now getting the tires swapped. I'll do the front brakes this weekend. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/25/21 7:52 a.m.

Good luck and have fun!

3/25/21 10:24 a.m.

Tires are done!

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
3/25/21 4:35 p.m.

Those look meaty. I'll be interested to hear how you like them. I'm currently running RS-4s but I'm interested in all of the 200TW options available these days.

3/26/21 4:46 p.m.
CAinCA said:

Those look meaty. I'll be interested to hear how you like them. I'm currently running RS-4s but I'm interested in all of the 200TW options available these days.

I have experience with the Falken Azenis (RT615, RT615K, RT615K+, and now the RT660), Bridgestone (RE11 and RE71R), and Hankook (Ventus Evo2). These are my first Kuhmo's.

3/26/21 4:46 p.m.

The next episode of preparing for TT:

3/28/21 11:14 p.m.

I tackled doing the maintenance (oil change, nut and bolt check, lube the shift cables) and installing fresh front brake pads and rotors.

4/12/21 8:34 p.m.

I made it to the event! Here is the whole thing including a lap from each session:

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/12/21 9:56 p.m.

I'd love to do that, but I don't have a roll bar in my Miata. Looks like fun!

4/13/21 1:53 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd love to do that, but I don't have a roll bar in my Miata. Looks like fun!

It's worth it!

4/13/21 10:30 a.m.

In reply to tom85 :

Thank you! It was really, really fun.

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
4/13/21 7:02 p.m.

That looks like a lot of fun. I'd like to try it some day.

I liked everything about your videos except that you played music over the track sections. I want to hear the car. I get that your car might be pretty quiet or you might just get a ton of wind noise but I'd still like to hear it. My first couple videos were like that so I bought a lapel mic off Amazon with a 10' cord. I've used masking tape to put  the mic right above the exhaust, on the dash right behind the windshield, and even on the rain tray under the hood to get some more VRRROOOOMMMM noises. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
4/13/21 7:19 p.m.

Since apparently hollis hasn't been on lately, or at least not in this thread, I'll be the one to post the reminder that the triangles on the tire sidewall are in no way an indicator of how far it wants to roll over.

Unless I missed something, at this point the car is still totally autocross street class legal, right? So you could have run the wider rear tires if you wanted to.

Also agree with the music...even 90% wind noise is better than no sound. With no sound and no data overlay it's impossible to tell what you're doing/how fast you're going.

4/13/21 8:02 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Yeah, I didn't think the sound situation through and the entire driving portion was just wind going WHOOOOOOSH so I had to mute it. I'm looking into an external mic for the channel now.

4/13/21 8:05 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Must have been a bad habit I learned when I started autocrossing 15 years ago. 

On the data overlay, is there an off the shelf solution to get that built into the video or a way to overlay the data from Track Addict?

MaxC
MaxC New Reader
4/13/21 8:38 p.m.

Dude, sweet!! PIR is my home track too. I've considered these time trial events for testing my lucky dog race car, but have done track nights instead (yes traffic usually sucks). It's the only track I've driven but I have about 15 hours of experience around that track. I think you would benefit greatly from mounting the camera between the two seat headrests, with the steering and shifter in view. Have someone that's fast around PIR watch and tell you where you can improve and find a few seconds. It certainly helped me! I'm about 40 minutes south of PIR, and will be there this Friday for track night. 

Hope you try it again and keep us posted with your progress!

4/13/21 8:45 p.m.

In reply to MaxC :

That's great advice, thank you!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y8GJ3E8i2RTRybTACfo34ZYCZhG8UuLUIs9VkVbSoTWP7W2zPMf3K5GEMxD7oC9E