1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/14/19 6:56 p.m.

Blizzak WS80 tires were on sale for $90ish each, decided I didn't like the OEM wheels anyway, went with 225-65/16 for some extra sidewall and stayed with Sparco like the WRX.  I like it...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/21/19 10:28 a.m.

Finally got the light bars wired up.  Not sure how much use they'll get but they're fun.  12k maintenance scheduled for next Friday while I'm off work.  Apparently there's a recall for possible starter motor issues with it staying energized too long or something they will be checking as well.  I foresee no problems.  I still love driving this thing.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/5/20 9:18 p.m.

I berkeleying hate I-75.  Not even a year old, this is Friday coming home from work.  Pretty sure the Abarth had a similar fate even sooner like 4 months.  I checked my insurance, at least it's only a $100 deductible.  I found the box for the dashcam and the spare mount, 501st vinyl already reordered.  Not sure I'll do the blasters again, if I do this new vinyl cutter will handle that.  (501st stuff is tricky and has to be bought from official sources ok'd by LFL and the Mouse.)

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/28/20 11:42 a.m.

One year anniversary today. 14.7k miles. Still much fun.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
9/9/20 9:20 a.m.

Figured I'd give a little update.  Had the 18k maintenance in June, a little early but I took my birthday off so why not?  It was considered an express service so no appointment, they still managed in about an hour.  The weather was really nice so I sat in a chair outside under the awning mostly playing with my phone.

Last week on the way home from work, I noticed some fairly obvious static/distortion from the stereo.  Unplugged the phone (Android Auto) & tried a flashdrive, same thing.  I read some forum posts about possibly replacing the head unit and/or amp under the seat.  I was concerned I'd have to take another day off, but ever since it's been fine.

I blame 2020 in general.  (Otherwise it's been no issues.  Last weekend SWMBO & I took a 4.5hr trip up to northern IN for a Star Wars get-together for photos on a beach.  Drove flawlessly both ways.)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 9:26 a.m.

Any plans on boost?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/23/21 1:11 p.m.

24K maintenance yesterday, really just oil change/tire rotation and a lot of inspecting.  Still no issues to report, I think they topped off the brake fluid.  Went to leave the dealership and the brakes were much quicker to grab.  I thought it felt a little softer recently but nothing to worry about.

Looking around the showroom while waiting, I did see an STI spoiler for it.  Now I'm curious the $, mostly because I'm bored.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/25/21 1:06 p.m.

Cool on the update--thanks. My brother's car shopping and just test drove one. We'll see what happens. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/25/21 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

They probably just removed the reservoir cap to inspect fluid condition.

It "shouldn't" happen, but it does: As the pads wear, the fluid level drops, and the cap doesn't permit air to easily enter the reservoir, so a small vacuum forms.  This will slightly retract the brakes when you are off the pedal.  Removing the cap breaks the vacuum.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/25/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I will keep this in mind if it happens again.  It wasn't bad, but the last few weeks did feel a little softer/more pedal travel.  Especially coming down a steep hill to turn 120 degrees onto my street.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/1/21 8:18 a.m.

Yesterday was the 2 year anniversary, still no problems. Got a free car wash coupon from Wagner I'll use eventually. The big snow we had a week or two ago made me happy I purchased the Blizzaks.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/27/21 7:08 a.m.

Yesterday was a Make a Wish Car Show in Port Jefferson OH, and they let me put the Crosstrek next to our booth. 

So far still no issues, have the 30K maintenace scheduled July 6th a bit early but I'm off that whole week.  Have 2 recalls to check out while it's there, one for a rear suspension piece that might need retorquing, the other I forget (starter?).

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/27/21 7:39 a.m.

Nice. I like it.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/6/21 11:01 a.m.

30K maintenance today, included two recalls for checking torque of a rear suspension piece and replacing ignition coils/reprogramming the ECU.  The maintenance was $400 and the recalls were $500 worth of stuff but under warranty.

At 29500 miles I still have no complaints, and still enjoy driving. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/28/22 11:57 a.m.

Happy 3 year anniversary. By the time I get home I will be just over 36k miles, scheduled the maintenance for two weeks from today.

Still enjoying, still no big problems. Last week during a crazy heavy rain the backup camera kept coming on, but not on the trip home. I'm going to go with water in a connection or something.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/18/22 8:48 a.m.

Yesterday was the 42K mile maintenance, basically on oil change, and I'm right about 42K actual miles.  Going to Galaxy's Edge in Disney in a few weeks so I had them look it over, if something was even getting close I was going to do it.

All they saw was the cabin and engine air filters needing changed.  $140 total and out the door in 40 minutes.  The dealer lot is still a ghost town, I think they still have no new inventory to sell and minimal used.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/29/22 8:16 a.m.

Tuesday morning I made the final payment, so technically it's paid off.  I've been paying extra for at least a year ($308 rounded up to $400) and saw it was down to about $3700.  My Xmas bonus after taxes was $3100 so I said berkeley it.  Now to see how long it takes Chase to send my title.

Hmm no more car payments.  Time for a new Corolla GR?  Not holding my breath, probably another MR2 or 944 if I had to guess.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
12/29/22 11:03 a.m.

Chase was very quick to send the title over as soon as I paid off my WRX, FWIW. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/29/22 7:15 p.m.

Needs the WRX motor and drivetrain. Some one had to say it.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/5/23 7:42 a.m.

Drove it in the July 4th parade with my Star Wars group yesterday (you can almost see my AT-ST driver costume).  The flashing LEDs on the grille were still working fine, decided not to mess with the flag and the suction cup mounts that have failed previously.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/26/23 8:42 a.m.

Another parade completed, first time in the dark so I added 2 strands of lights and a light-up bow on the front.  The bow was AA batteries but the strands were typical 12v household stuff.  SWMBO let me borrow a jump-start/battery thing that also had one 12v plug.  I found out the battery is depleted after 30-45min though and was almost dead by the time we got going.  I need to find another cigarette lighter plug thing for 12v like I used to have.

Also had the 54K mile maintence a few weeks ago, and still loving it.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/16/24 8:37 a.m.

Yesterday morning was about 4F, everything was fine.

Today it was about 8F or so, got a light snow overnight.  Driving to work and about 5 minutes in my music jumped to the next song on it's own (Youtube music through Android Auto on a cable).  Thought maybe I hit it with my new mittens.  But the next song did the same, halfway through it went to the next.  After 10 minutes I realized the touch screen wouldn't do anything.  I gave up and turned the volume all the way down.

After another 5-10 minutes I noticed the songs were changing like someone was stabbing NEXT repeatedly.  I finally unplugged the cable.  Saturday on the way to the cemetery to volunteer I realized the driver window was frozen shut, luckily I tested it in line at Biggby Coffee before I got to the order window.

I hate winter.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/17/24 1:33 p.m.

I drove my Subie to work today in 10F weather.  No strange stereo /phone interface issues but I used Bluetooth to connect.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/17/24 3:34 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

This morning was about the same temp and fine.  One-time fluke I can live with.  It'll be 5 years next month.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1NbBpsFscSmZ3FHb8xaQpYOyDls39lB08bjEt1JpBn33sOl4HZegcWExQtzGhDQk