GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/17/21 3:31 p.m.

A C4S Cab Tip? What was the PO cross-shopping it with, a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/17/21 4:20 p.m.

In reply to jr10cross :

Hey, a 911 with a tip is still a 911..  yes

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/17/21 4:45 p.m.

How much did you pay? Or are you just trying to bait us? cheeky

Sorry, don't have time to watch a vid at the moment.

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
12/17/21 7:00 p.m.
2002maniac said:

He always does the same. I don't think I have seen contribute anything to any thread other than post videos then try to lure you to watch them. 

What does south of $30k even mean? 10k? 20k? 29,999?

johndej
johndej Dork
12/17/21 7:15 p.m.
Slippery said:
2002maniac said:

He always does the same. I don't think I have seen contribute anything to any thread other than post videos then try to lure you to watch them. 

What does south of $30k even mean? 10k? 20k? 29,999?

Yeah total clickbate to push up views on YouTube. In fact I don't see a time that there's been a post without a link to the channel...

Edit, looks like (boxhead)Tim did a great job documenting his <$17k one back 2014-17

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/17/21 9:39 p.m.

So $30k...aka basically top dollar for one of these two years ago. I'm interested to see if that pans out to be the "new normal" or if it's back to being worthless in another year or two.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/17/21 11:59 p.m.

I remember your videos from a few years ago with the 944 in a storage unit!

Definitely keep making videos but I do also like to read the build thread format. Tell me why you bought the car and how.

I'm a 911 fan but unless something really unexpected happens, I'm probably not in the market for one. So I'd love to hear your experiences.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
12/18/21 12:20 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks Robbie. You know me, I'm Mr. Anti-911. I will tell you right now that I prefer the 944 handling by far. I was talking to a guy that build factory Porsche motors for 7 years from England today who agreed. He said on track days the 944 would out perform the 911 all day, because its neutral handling could carry higher speeds in corners. The 91l reminds me of a Jeep wrangler thus far. The Wrangler has weird steering because you're sitting almost on the rear axle and the 911 feels kind of similarly awkward. Let's not talk about cargo space either lol. I'm loving the experience of the 911 but honest..... the 944 is just better. Cheaper, lighter, more practical. I'll also say have disposable income, tip IMS replacement is an engine out at $1300 labor. Then do other this like air/oil separater and ignition coils. I'll keep you posted sir!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/18/21 12:27 a.m.

In reply to jr10cross :

I use to watch your 944 videos and I was never really interested in those cars. Just liked your content. Keep up the good work. Subscribed btw! 

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
12/18/21 5:59 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Wow, that's a huge compliment, thanks man! I guess I'm doing something right then. I always want my content to be honest and fun, but at the same time encouraging and intelligent. Knowledgeable decision making reduces stress in the pursuit of fun! Hopefully my content will remain cool. Lol

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
12/18/21 6:42 a.m.

Looks like a good score.

A relative of mine (by marriage) bought a six speed 996 Carrera4 convertible with 40k miles about four years ago for $20k. I asked if it had the IMS bearing done. He had no idea what I was talking about. 

..apparently his friend kept the car at his mountain house and his friend's wife was tired of "the convertible" and wanted to leave an SUV up there instead. So the friend offered the 911 up to his buddies and my relative though "that seems like a good deal for a Porsche" so he said he'd buy it. Had no idea it was about half the FMV at the time. He seems to be lucky like that...

I got to drive the car six hours to the beach one summer and it was my only time driving a 911. I was nervous about the possibility of IMS related engine failure while in my possession (that'd be just my luck). It was a blast but I learned that I don't fit in a 911, sadly. Back hurt for days..

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/18/21 8:36 a.m.

FWIW, I recently bought a 996 Cabrio with 6spd.  Ok... my wife did, LOL.  I love the car.  If I had one complaint it would be the transmission.  It's very good, but not as good as my 128i or an NA Miata.  I don't think a tip will be bad.  Enjoy!!!!!

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
12/18/21 9:24 a.m.

Tip? Is that short for tiptronic?

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/18/21 11:34 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Looks like a good score.

A relative of mine (by marriage) bought a six speed 996 Carrera4 convertible with 40k miles about four years ago for $20k. I asked if it had the IMS bearing done. He had no idea what I was talking about. 

..apparently his friend kept the car at his mountain house and his friend's wife was tired of "the convertible" and wanted to leave an SUV up there instead. So the friend offered the 911 up to his buddies and my relative though "that seems like a good deal for a Porsche" so he said he'd buy it. Had no idea it was about half the FMV at the time. He seems to be lucky like that...

I got to drive the car six hours to the beach one summer and it was my only time driving a 911. I was nervous about the possibility of IMS related engine failure while in my possession (that'd be just my luck). It was a blast but I learned that I don't fit in a 911, sadly. Back hurt for days..

Four years ago was like peak 996 worthlessness, $20k was probably a pretty decent deal, but not 50% fmv.

FYI it's just the 996 that your don't fit in. The later cars have much more interior space and better ergonomics.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/18/21 12:03 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Tip? Is that short for tiptronic?

Yes.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
12/18/21 3:53 p.m.
jr10cross said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Lol yep there's not a lot of suspension travel. Yeah the trip back from Sarasota 3.5 hours away had me a little bit too!

Suspension was fine. I'm 6'-5" tall. Don't fit in much of anything without discomfort. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/18/21 9:40 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
jr10cross said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Lol yep there's not a lot of suspension travel. Yeah the trip back from Sarasota 3.5 hours away had me a little bit too!

Suspension was fine. I'm 6'-5" tall. Don't fit in much of anything without discomfort. 

The newer cars are a lot better. I'm 6'1 with a lot of torso and fit in my 981 with room to spare in both directions where I juuust barely fit in my prior 986. I have a friend that's like 6'5 that also has a 981 and fits with at least enough extra room to wear a helmet comfortably. Actually he had a 996 prior, but it was a GT3 with the bucket seats which I imagine opens up some more headroom. The 986/996 had a lot of (not watertight...thanks porsche) electronics stuffed under the seats which I think limited seat height significantly. The newer cars don't really feel any larger inside but the space is used much more effectively.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
12/18/21 10:04 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jr10cross :

Hey, a 911 with a tip is still a 911..  yes

This is the answer. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KypEXKJScYCHD4gQ0h8mtpndn8eTvO088ZGbo4omUj8L9XDGQRWCRDXfqXmh01Ui