1 2 3
secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/14/21 5:59 p.m.
jfryjfry (FS) said:

the worst part is the stigma. 

Just man up, unbutton your shirt to your belly button & show off the gold chains & chest rug...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/14/21 6:20 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Jerry :

If you've ever been in a C4 Vette, the Elise ingress/egress is comparable. I've noticed that prices on the Elise have seem to be pretty steady over the last year or so, which surprised me. 

First job out of the Navy was a dealership in New Orleans, 91-92.  Got to drive a handful of C4's, including a few 90-91 ZR-1s.  I really thought I wanted a 'Vette back then, just not interested now.

One thing I saw people commenting (got busy at work), a VW Golf R.  I've always liked the look of the GTI & maybe seen one R in my life.  I know nothing about VW though except the standard CEL jokes.  (Owning a Fiat, 2 MR2s, and multiple Subaru I am familiar with many jokes.)

I'm really looking to stay smaller with less HP, handling over straight line speed.  Loved my 87 and 88 MR2s, thinking a turbo would be fun.  Tried contacting Prime Driven about a 4th gen swap but they no longer do them.  Dammit.  Elise is still looking doable.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/14/21 6:30 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
John Welsh said:

Boxster or even better, Boxster S will never get cheaper. 

I think the only cars mentioned that ARE getting cheaper are the ND and the RS3.  RS3 is cool, but it's a dual clutch and still being made.

Other random thoughts:  FD RX7, E46 M3, S2000.

RS3 prices went silly with COVID.  I've been watching them dip into the high 30s, my plan was to buy when they got down to $30k when the oldest ones got to be about four years old.  They stopped dropping around April and they all disappeared from the used market.

On Autotrader, there are only two within a ridiculous distance and they are in the $50k range.

The same thing happened to Focus RSs.  There were a few '16s around for $26-28k, last time I bothered to look they started at $35k.

I'll wait.  If fate forces my hand, I'd be willing to settle for an S3, but I'd be grouchy about it smiley  It's a Golf R without the minivan vibes.  As a bonus, they tend to be cheaper.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
1/14/21 6:49 p.m.

What about something like a Z4 Coupe or Z4 M Coupe?  I drove a Z4M recently, and while I wasn't in love with the shifter (no worse than my Boxster though, but no Miata), the rest of the car was fantastic.  I am seriously thinking about selling my Boxster S for one.

RevolverRob
RevolverRob Reader
1/14/21 9:35 p.m.

I'm not sure how you argue against an Elise/Exige, a Boxster/Cayman, or an MR2/S2000.

Anything you're buying is used, I'd want the reliability of the Toyota, Honda, or Porsche drivetrains.

If I don't need a tow vehicle my next car will likely be a Cayman S. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
1/14/21 9:49 p.m.

I like all of your ideas and that pic of your Abarth is fun.  I'm curious what everyone thinks of the RF since you did mention it and minus depreciation, is the same price as the Elise or used Cayman suggestions.   Reliability and do it all fun and they catch my eye.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/14/21 11:15 p.m.
Caprigrip said:

I'm curious what everyone thinks of the RF since you did mention it and minus depreciation, is the same price as the Elise or used Cayman suggestions. 

Depends on whether or not you want to take it to the track -- fitting a roll bar into an RF is challenging.  FM sells one but you lose the ability to retract the top, so it becomes just an "F" instead of an "RF" :)

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
1/14/21 11:30 p.m.
Caprigrip said:

I like all of your ideas and that pic of your Abarth is fun.  I'm curious what everyone thinks of the RF since you did mention it and minus depreciation, is the same price as the Elise or used Cayman suggestions.   Reliability and do it all fun and they catch my eye.  

I mean a lot of things are the same price if you ignore depreciation...but that's not really a fair comparison unless you plan to keep the car forever.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
1/15/21 7:15 a.m.
Jerry said:

I'm really looking to stay smaller with less HP, handling over straight line speed.  Loved my 87 and 88 MR2s, thinking a turbo would be fun.  Tried contacting Prime Driven about a 4th gen swap but they no longer do them.  Dammit.  Elise is still looking doable.

I'd agree on the size thing.  Save the bigger, comfier, auto trans end of the "interesting cars" spectrum for after the small and manual trans stuff becomes too uncomfortable. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/15/21 7:43 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The same thing happened to Focus RSs.  There were a few '16s around for $26-28k, last time I bothered to look they started at $35k.

Ooh I forgot the Focus RS.  How are they holding up maintenance-wise?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/15/21 9:19 a.m.
Jerry said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ooh I forgot the Focus RS.  How are they holding up maintenance-wise?

My '16 is doing just fine, still feels pretty tight no major issues, had the headgasket recall before I picked it up.  The only minor issue is the wipers like to stop or park at odd times, hitting the sweep fixes it, so I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for my final free oil change.  That is more of a Focus issue, not one related to the RS.

I installed a throttle pedal spacer to make heel/toe esaier, a Euro center console (slightly more useful, IMO) and tightened up the shifter with some aluminum bushings and a short shifter and that makes a huge difference.  I did find that the pedal spacer works great on the street, but on the track it is a little too high.

Thinking about updating to the '18 dampers to improve the ride quality, but the amount of grip from even the stock tires is pretty impressive for a fairly simple hot hatch.  The feedback is really quite nice.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/15/21 4:47 p.m.

Go test drive the Lotus options!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/16/21 4:54 p.m.

I signed up for a Bring a Trailer account today, including credit card to bid.  This could be dangerous.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/16/21 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Lock the liquor cabinet and give SWMBO the key.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/16/21 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I'm a diehard Porsche guy, but I have to say that the Elise would feel more special, if that's what you're looking for. The Porsche would be far better at being an actual car though. 

When I was between Caymans (Caymen?), I considered both an Elise and the 4C.

I've wanted an Elise for a long time, but just felt that they were too fragile, at least in terms of ending up with a salvage title from a minor incident. 

The Alfa is almost gorgeous, but that wasn't really important to me. Unfortunately, I had almost zero confidence in their long term reliability, and the interiors aren't really designed for taller people and don't feel completely finished either. Oddly enough, I really like the Lotus interior. 

In the end, I bought another Cayman, and I've been completely happy with that decision ever since. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/22/21 7:40 a.m.

This showed up today.

I must be old, I'd want to splice a muffler into the exhaust.  I do like the driving position, at least.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/22/21 7:49 a.m.

Has Jerry found a good 996 yet?

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) UltraDork
1/22/21 8:43 a.m.

Hey Jerry let's both buy Fiat 124's. Maybe they'll give us a group discount.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
1/22/21 3:43 p.m.

I really like the 911 suggestion.

Any interest in the Veloster N with the DCT?  Sounds like it can be as rorty and fun as the Abarth while being able to be shut up and turned down to drive as comfortably as a hot hatch can be.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
1/22/21 4:31 p.m.

Corvette.  It's time.  Just do it and all of the other cliches.  Stop resisting real power and excellent chassis dynamics.  Neither fake chest hair nor combover is required.  Sorry, beer lunch . . .

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
1/22/21 8:01 p.m.

I am same age as original poster so prime Corvette target. In general I don't dig them except for the fixed roof vettes. But I am amazed by how much I like the later C7s more and more with some subtle aero. They nailed the design on those. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/23/21 7:12 a.m.

Aerial atom.

You only live once so might as well make it short and to the point.

On a more serious note, my 996 GT3 has that over the top special feel that is rare. While it has supple leather and alcantara, it also has Euro buckets, motons, and very little sound deadening. It absolutely screams and I have yet to see another on the road since I have had mine (although that's not saying much around here).

It just acts PISSED OFF all of the time. Steering and shifting are sublime and brakes work incredibly due to the rear weight bias. They are dead reliable aside from coolant line pinning.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/23/21 12:24 p.m.

Yeah my vote is 911 or Elise. 

The Caymen S I drove just didn’t feel that special to me, especially after I drove a 997 Carrera S. The 911 is still a road car that has race car performance, the Elise is a race car. What’s your desire?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/23/21 1:15 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

Any interest in the Veloster N with the DCT?  Sounds like it can be as rorty and fun as the Abarth while being able to be shut up and turned down to drive as comfortably as a hot hatch can be.

I'm curious about them.  Maybe I should test drive one when it warms up eventually.  Still leaning towards Elise or turbo MR2, but the MR2s I've found are either big $ for what they are, or total crapfest.  Or both.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/24/21 10:07 a.m.

How about a Fiata?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PVHzMdloueEju4X8f6bZk4luZeFUy2RkQcgvXB3ISzRp2Cz7zGXerZE3ZMhWfVsC