3 4 5 6 7
WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/4/16 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I wasn't aware they added a heat exchanger for the PTU, so that's good news. I still don't trust the brakes on them. They come with what, 19's or 20's stock? Shove the mustang track pack brakes on it.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/11/16 8:21 a.m.

Still looking. The car in NC is still available, so maybe they will be more willing to deal.

I found this today, 2007 Alpina B7, just a bit more than I want to spend but it checks all the right boxes. Thoughts?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5441592577.html

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
2/11/16 8:35 a.m.

The B7 is a sweet car, but I do not like the looks of that gen 7 as well as the Mercs.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/11/16 8:43 a.m.

XJR!!!!!!!!

Seriously having spent time researching big luxury cars and talked to owners I am convinced a post '00 XJR is the most reliable fast luxury car out there. Not really a ton of problems despite the Jag name.

And plus then you can say you own And that is just way cooler then a BMW or Mercedes.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
2/11/16 9:44 a.m.
Sonic wrote: Still looking. The car in NC is still available, so maybe they will be more willing to deal. I found this today, 2007 Alpina B7, just a bit more than I want to spend but it checks all the right boxes. Thoughts? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5441592577.html

Holy depreciation. That was a ~$200k car new wasn't it? I would be terrified of the aftermarket Alpina stuff. I know they're a big name but still ..

It does look like a sweet ride.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/11/16 11:22 a.m.

Hella sweet looking car. Just some food for thought...

How many parts on it are Alpina specific? Are they NLA? Or NLA unless your wallet is fat enough to herniate L5-S1 when you sit on it? You're a master at repairing a BMW, just hope getting any parts it needs wouldn't be a disaster. The ad doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Hastily written, little detail, tons of tags. Clearly a dealer (see a bunch of Porsche in the background of some pictures). Do they even know anything about it or how it's been cared for? My experience with CL ads written that way usually isn't good. I know it's hypocritical for me to say, given how quickly I turn cars over, but when I'm shopping CL for a car...especially an older one...I like to find one that someone has had a while and can really tell me about it and/or has documented evidence to show maintenance.

Having said that, if it passes your smell test, I say it's awesome.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/11/16 1:08 p.m.

The Alpina specific exterior stuff is basically the bumpers, spoiler, and 21" wheels. I'm ok with the ad, it has a regular plate on it and a variety of cars in the background, and searching the phone number doesn't bring up anything. This sale seller is also selling a 2008 Cayenne Turbo though.

I think I'll go back to the Mercedes, this just seemed interesting. It's more than I wanted to spend and if I crash it, it would be a shame to ruin a rare car in addition to what it would cost. Also, do I really want two very rare blue 2007 BMWs?

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/14/16 8:24 a.m.

Chevy SS with a manual transmission.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/14/16 8:55 a.m.

In reply to PushrodRWD:

Missing the point, I think and also more than double his budget.

Merc or XJR for 10K plus whatever is left over for speed parts (overnighted from England )

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/15/16 3:05 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Used G8. What ever is left over for speed parts will be cheaper than anything from Europe. There is nothing easier to get power out of than a GM V8, for the $. It will turn circles around most of the other big cars, except maybe the M5.Although an older CTS-V is not bad it is way too small and cramped. Quirky vs Crappy. Quirky costs twice as much up front and three times more to fix. Crappy doesn't have a fancy badge and might not have the most comfortable seats and isn't in the shop as much.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
2/16/16 4:45 p.m.

In reply to PushrodRWD:

You're bad at this.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
2/16/16 5:52 p.m.

That was rude. I'm sorry.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/16/16 7:02 p.m.

In reply to PushrodRWD:

Last time I checked the G8 GXP manual was still in the high 20s.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/16/16 8:39 p.m.

I'm going to see this on Saturday. CLS63, with performance package. 2 owner Seattle car here in PA only a year.

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=379889991

More than I wanted to spend but it sure is sexy and she really likes it. If it doesn't work out I'll probably get the silver one in NC that seems to still be available

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/17/16 6:41 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

The autos aren't. If you are doing a lap of america and you breakdown would you rather have a) A German car that nobody in 500 miles has a clue how to work on and/or get parts for. b) An English car that nobody can work on. c) A car with essentially the same driveline as about 1000 Camaros in a 200 mile radius as well as a third of the police cars around.

Plus do you trust a car which has depreciated so much so quickly as the top end european sedans to race at each location on a lap of america? Drive from location to location sure, following a buddy in a car that would be raced. They are nice cars and are very comfortable. An old coworker had an e55 and then traded it for a c63 black. Awesome cars, fantastically comfortable, with awesome repair bills.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
2/17/16 10:01 p.m.
PushrodRWD wrote: In reply to singleslammer: The autos aren't. If you are doing a lap of america and you breakdown would you rather have b) An English car that nobody can work on.

Oh come on... The 4.0/4.2l V8 is largely the same as was in the Thunderbird and Lincoln LS. It isn't some strange exotic engine where parts don't exist. I was surprised at the reasonable costs of many of the parts at my local Jag dealer.

But Mr. Sonic isn't considering the Jag at all.

Further, depreciation is often based on false notions. Many assume because a car was orginally $80K+ it must be impossible for a mortal to work on themselves or be able to afford replacement parts. I've found this is almost never the case.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/18/16 9:23 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

For a driver or something that you occasionally take to a track then I would agree. You are close to your home and are most likely in a relatively urban area, with a local dealer to get the parts. Even doing the lap wouldn't be that bad if you were a devotee of the brand and you lived and breathed that brand. I wouldn't hesitate to take a benz, if my co-driver was my buddy with c63 black and an old e series wagon and knows all of the quirks of the brand. If the person accompanying you is a Peugeot nut then take a Peugeot. I did not see a vehicle like that listed in Mr. Sonic's vehicle inventory.
I own a G8 and have driven it all over the country. One trip was close to 6k and it will cruise WELL above the posted speed limit in west Texas and take the twisties on skyline blvd in California with no problems as well as hold it's own in autocross events. Big cruiser to race. That was the salient point. Sorry to have offered an opinion. I see badge bias runs deep.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
2/18/16 9:45 a.m.

I've had my Jag on multiple road trips (I travel often for work) and I bought the car with almost 130k on it. The Jag has been very reliable. The transmission is tough (Mercedes W5A-580) and the engine has been great.

I've taken it across the South East, South West (I live in Texas), up to Chicago, and Colorado. I usually make large loops to hit as many offices as I can.

But, to each is own.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/18/16 11:03 a.m.

In reply to PushrodRWD:

We aren't saying the G8 isn't awesome. It is. Sonic has narrowed his search down and wants a fast Mercedes. Doing the one lap is just something fun he wants to participate in with the big fast German car. The rest of the time it will be used for commuting in traffic.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
2/18/16 11:15 a.m.

The CLS63 looks sweet, I love the color.

@PushrodRWD: A G8 is a nice car but it is not at all similar to the S55. It is much smaller and a different vehicle class entirely. I'm not sure why you're pushing someone so hard on their decision for their purposes.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
2/18/16 1:39 p.m.

Check out the color of this E55!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/5453491883.html

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
2/18/16 1:42 p.m.

e60 M5 with mods?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5420566950.html

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/18/16 1:44 p.m.

I was actually next to the blue car earlier this week in traffic. Gaudy as all hell with a driver to match. Sounded good and might be nice under that wrap.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/18/16 2:00 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Check out the color of this E55! http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/5453491883.html

That would be PERFECT for One Lap.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/18/16 2:03 p.m.

In reply to dculberson: There was a bit of a tangent to a tangent. After my initial comment aboug the ss my discussion was not with the originator of the thread but in response to other responses, using the original post as a theoretical framework. The big benzs are nice cars, no argument there.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HLryyu6vdlK8nwyU5elHXQwVd8AJdHnSxEkyplxkc581sJlTmPR4vWuSlRTSxE1G