1 2
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/10/14 8:14 p.m.

e30 matches every single one of your criteria other than the hatchback, and that's moot because you can fit 5 (stock size) wheels/tires in the trunk of an e30 (in fact, there are 5 in the trunk of mine right now).

Yes, it's not easy to find a driving e30 for $1000, but it's not impossible. Mine was $1000 and I drove it home 50-60 miles with only vibrations (caused by two loose bolts on the driveshaft, and some poorly-balanced tires). Look for early 318i's with the M10. very unloved in e30 circles, but still a lot of fun (and the lightest e30s ever made by a large margin).

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/10/14 8:18 p.m.

or, even more with your description:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4328701195.html

sounds like it may need a HG, but those are very easy on M42/M44 cars. Or may just need a new water pump or rad......

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
3/10/14 9:21 p.m.

Not a hatchback, and frankly, I read the title, then the OP's post, and then decided I didn't care what you wanted and just wanted to say what I'd decided to saw when I read the thread title...

I've been looking into Beetles (old, real Beetles). They might meet your requirement, are supposedly easy to work on, and they're pretty universally appealing to non-car people, so you'll lots of waves and smiles. I want one.

Better answers... '89 Civic Si is God's Chariot. Wait for a Volvo 242, that's a fantastic response someone had. Preludes are pretty sweet, especially the later ones, and don't seem to have as much of the Honda tax as similar era Civics.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zilL1cNOwmQql4ido6fTLHTGXsBvxl3NKgDO0jWseiZzDtCaOrU6YXW0eJsrHYMi