1 2 3
windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe New Reader
10/9/13 7:11 a.m.

In reply to Powar: Would that make it a Cheviban instead of a Dajiban?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/9/13 7:21 a.m.
doc_speeder wrote: I love these things. What power train options did this vintage Dodge van have?

For the '90s until they were replaced by the Sprinter, they would have had a 3.9 (smallblock based odd fire V6), 318, or 360, with the Magnum versions of these engines being the most common. Earlier ones had a big block option, and I don't see any reason you couldn't swap one over with the OEM parts (other than emissions reasons, if applicable).

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/9/13 7:25 a.m.
windsordeluxe wrote: In reply to Powar: Would that make it a Cheviban instead of a Dajiban?

I suspect the correct way to render it in katakana would get back-translated as Sebiban or Shabiban.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
10/9/13 8:35 a.m.

I like the idea of a Chevy full size van. Because ls power.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/9/13 8:46 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: I like the idea of a Chevy full size van. Because ls power.

Or even better... Duramax.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
10/9/13 10:03 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Is there room in the GM van dogouse for a turbo, or would it need to be rear mounted?

alex
alex UberDork
10/9/13 2:44 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: How many motorcycles can fit in the back of one of those? I might have found my company vehicle as well!

At least two, fairly comfortably. Same for any full size van. Get an extended box and you can keep at least one row of seats in there, too.

If I can cram two bikes (safely!) into the back of an Aerostar, and full size van can do it.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
10/9/13 3:23 p.m.

In reply to alex:

Good to know. Two inside and two or more on a trailer sounds like a winner.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
10/9/13 3:29 p.m.

I think the big reason the dodges are the most popular is because of the big three Americans, the Dodges are the only uni-body vans and those have "better" suspension geometry front and back.

Either way, I fully support this effort and would join you were it not for the SWMBO leaving me if I ever brought one home.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
10/9/13 3:45 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: retired USAF and USN vans.

Hence my recommendation for the color scheme.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
10/9/13 4:07 p.m.

In reply to McTinkerson:

So our choices are then better suspension or better motor? The old dodge does look cool though and none will ever be fast or handle well.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/9/13 10:39 p.m.
failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/10/13 4:58 a.m.

15x8 and 15x10 are the wheel sizes you want for that look. 275 60 tires for the rear 225 70 matches the diameter and slight "stretch" at the front iirc, although most american vanners run a 245 60 and that will give you a raked look. 295 50 I have also seen run on the rear its a closer diameter to the front 245s. Probably want flares if you do that.

Disclaimer: my experience is with 78-95 chevy vans

Google pictures is your friend ex: "275/60R15 15x10" and such

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
10/10/13 7:38 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Love that look.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/10/13 7:46 a.m.

I just now learned this is a thing, and now I want one. Throw a mattress in back and I could sleep in it at 2-day autocrosses.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/10/13 8:03 a.m.
Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
10/10/13 9:39 a.m.

I think my Shabiban will wear a set of Mach 5 steel wheels.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/10/13 11:04 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: This! 1967 Dodge A100 TRUCK RUNS AND DRIVES - $3500 (OBO Hayden, AL)

never know why cabover pickups never took off.. All the utlity of a full size pickup with less length

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
10/10/13 11:16 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Gasoline wrote: This! 1967 Dodge A100 TRUCK RUNS AND DRIVES - $3500 (OBO Hayden, AL)
never know why cabover pickups never took off.. All the utlity of a full size pickup with less length

Something about safety or some E36 M3. Buncha pansie-ass E36 M3.....

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/13/13 5:43 p.m.

so one thing you need to do is go on youtube and search "d van gp"

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
10/13/13 11:54 p.m.

In reply to McTinkerson:

I've never been in a dodge van or truck, but the Chevy truck/van double wishbone IFS of that era is pretty damn good by truck standards, and if the van is similar to the truck, on easily adjustable torsion bars. They're all leaf springs in the back, so IDK how that matters any. Ading power to a GM is wayyy cheaper and easier, at least here. I think they only use Dodge because its what's available, not necessarily because its the best.

Though if you wanted some bozowahtevertheberkeleytheycallit grade camber, the swing axle ford van probably can't be beat.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/14/13 4:11 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: All the utlity of a full size pickup with less length

Isn't that the opposite of what most full size truck buyers are looking for?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/14/13 6:34 p.m.
Travis_K wrote:
Gasoline wrote: All the utlity of a full size pickup with less length
Isn't that the opposite of what most full size truck buyers are looking for?

Yes. Witness SUVs vs. wagons. The same room with worse handling an MPGs because maybe someday you might drive on a dirt driveway to get to soccer practice.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/14/13 8:11 p.m.

Our local on site damage repair company rocks this van. Rear is a de-arched leaf with an addition of a set of load leveler assist leafs (keeps it low but assists on heavy loads) the Front i cant remember if he cut coils or had a local company make him coils. Maybe he had cut coils and was switching? I Forget.

Anyhow neat van. And since all these vans could be had with a 4.3, 5.3, 6.0, gas motors you can build em to the moon.

We have a 2002 Express 1500 with the 5.7L engine at home. Love it. MPG is lacking but for what it can haul and its people moving capacity i guess i cant complain too much

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
10/14/13 8:21 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to McTinkerson: I've never been in a dodge van or truck, but the Chevy truck/van double wishbone IFS of that era is pretty damn good by truck standards, and if the van is similar to the truck, on easily adjustable torsion bars. They're all leaf springs in the back, so IDK how that matters any. Ading power to a GM is wayyy cheaper and easier, at least here. I think they only use Dodge because its what's available, not necessarily because its the best. Though if you wanted some bozowahtevertheberkeleytheycallit grade camber, the swing axle ford van probably can't be beat.

Good point, I think the only benefit to the dodge then is unibody vs body on frame which really only affects looks with the frame rails being visible on the GM & Ford without a body drop.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G9JyivSZc2trNaEdPRrMBfmbJkQ63vkQH3kHFYIDyoVW4gYK03YhBPDNJSgg43Sy