1 2 3
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/21/22 9:04 a.m.

I'm thinking about packing my tool bag and getting a one-way plane ticket somewhere and do a buy-n-drive back to Texas. The Pacific northwest seems particularly fertile with good pickings. Florida seems pretty decent too. Southern California has elevated prices. But absolutely under no circumstances do I want to deal with rust belt stuff. I need an area where I can get off the plane and uber to a hotel and then put together a deal via FB or Craigslist relatively easily.

I would try and get something that is a relatively decent runner but not anywhere near nice. There is no adventure in buying something that's not a little sketchy. With my tools I should be a able to handle most things that arise on the cross country drive home. Harbor Freight and FLAPs should help me fill in any gaps in my plan.

I've always wanted a short bed squarebody S10. Or any 80-90s era Toyota truck. Nissans. Civics. Toyotas. Datsun. Subaru. Mazda. Maybe even a 200 series Volvo. 80s era Corvette or Mullet car. Nothing German, I don't want to ever do that again. And I do want to get home before my month of vacation is spent so nothing British or Italian (that probably went without saying).

The only thing that gives me pause is just the logistics of being hotel bound and trying to put together a deal with someone through Facebook or Craigslist. I know so well how flaky people are. I could just foresee several days worth of ubers and bad experiences.

This kind of thing is a new adventure to me so there's lots of stuff to figure out. Once I own the thing and I'm Texas bound, no worries. I can fix whatever arises one way or the other. 

Any of you guys out there got something you want to sell to me that isn't rusty and has a fighting chance of holding mostly together back to Texas ?

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
3/21/22 9:13 a.m.

I would suggest you look at the Pacific NW. Not a lot of 80s cars left down here in south Fl. 

I will keep my eyes open though. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/21/22 9:13 a.m.

As an Ohioan in the Greater Cleveland Market, some real rust belt, I wonder what you think you'll find that Texas already doesn't have to offer? 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
3/21/22 9:20 a.m.

‘85 CRX near Seattle

The "rebuilt" engine gives me pause and I hate carbs but looks like a nice starting point. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/21/22 9:23 a.m.

I'm in Atlanta and I "may" have a Prius C if that were to interest you.  Discussing car stuff with the wife last night and today. 

3/21/22 9:24 a.m.

To John Welsh...

Texas is used up. The lower end of the market here is awful. All day every day there are caravans of vehicles headed south going across the border. We may not get rust, but you're still hard pressed to lay hands on an 80s era vehicle with a clean title. I don't remember the last time I saw a squarebody S10 on the road or a 90s era Subaru. Or even a 90s era Honda. I haven't seen a 200 series Volvo in years. They're gone.

Aside from that, this isn't an exercise in buying a car. It's about the trip. It's about being several days drive from home and in an unfamiliar vehicle that's probably shady to start with.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/21/22 10:04 a.m.

PNW is good for older Japanese tin as a lot came into port via Portland and Seattle and stayed.   Go there - 

3/21/22 10:15 a.m.

I do have a stepson who lives in Seattle. He's less than zero when it comes to car stuff but he might be able to pitch in and help me logistically when I arrived. He does know the city and he does have a car to get around with. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/21/22 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

If you head east you're more than welcome to stop here in Biloxi, either planned or unplanned. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 10:30 a.m.

I know of a 240 wagon here in Jacksonville. It's been sitting for a few years but bet it could be had for cheap.

3/21/22 10:33 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

It's about being several days drive from home and in an unfamiliar vehicle that's probably shady to start with.

My Prius C is dead nuts reliable, but if you want it to be shady I'll be more than happy to pull some fuses, cut a wire...hell, I'll even cut a brake line if you want it to be really adventurous...  wink

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/21/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Interesting point that all your low-market stuff leaves for Mexico and never comes back.  I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. 

3/21/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

No doubt, a Toyota of that vintage doesn't offer much opportunity for road side fixes and self serve junkyards on the way home. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/21/22 10:54 a.m.

I thought California was pretty good for 80's vehicles that would be cost prohibitive to make pass a smog check?

3/21/22 11:03 a.m.

I know where there's a '92 Corvette for cheap, in rural VA.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/21/22 11:17 a.m.

Be more of an opportunist. Plan a vacation somewhere and while there scan for a suitable prize. If you find it, bonus, if not, you still had a nice vacation. 

Lotta restored stuff sitting in garages in the rust belt so don't entirely discount. But then who wants to vacation in the rust-belt?

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/21/22 11:28 a.m.

Does it make more sense to find your new ride while still at home and maybe have a back up choice as well. Then head off to the destination to finalize the deal? Seems like if you choose the wrong city you could end up with nothing interesting to even look at. I suppose if you have a wide enough range of what you would like you will find something but maybe not the "one". Fly n drive sounds like a good adventure, someday I'll do it. Good Luck finding something fun.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
3/21/22 11:31 a.m.

Portland swap meet starts March 31 thru April 3rd

its big at PIR track and at the expo center

SEADave
SEADave Dork
3/21/22 11:43 a.m.

I'm in the Seattle area, and personally I would recommend Portland as a base in the PNW.  They just seem to have more "funky" stuff and prices are a little better.   

Prices, as you know, are up on everything, possibly due to COVID and partially to people seeing BAT prices on old junk.   So you may find 80's S-10's or Toyota trucks in the PNW but you won't find them cheap.   Keep in mind that stuff here doesn't rust as aggressively as in the NE, but there is still rust so check anything carefully.   Otherwise sounds like a fun idea and the start of a good adventure.   

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/21/22 12:00 p.m.

Keep an eye in northern UT and Southern ID. Decent prices and selection without much in the way of rust. I'd say southern UT but section and prices are worse. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/21/22 12:02 p.m.

Yakima craigslist should be your first stop. I just punch in a maximum year and check in every now and then. Lots of nice old projects show up.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/21/22 12:35 p.m.

I am betting that this is more about the journey than the actual car you end up with.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/21/22 2:07 p.m.

I would shop first, then fly.  The perfect car, fantastic deal may be a thousand miles away from where you plane puts down.  You can always say no when you get there.  Never shopped the PNW but was happy with what I saw  at the higher altitudes of New Mexico.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/21/22 2:12 p.m.

Fly to the Addison airport and buy my Boxster.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/21/22 2:36 p.m.

Got a budget in mind?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lji6cJUinEIQ36i5X1mfIxOwb4dc8cGXKLHXgyslmXdWmLrWnWeDiO1AEA42fd3A