2 3 4
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/30/22 6:34 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Fly to Dallas ? I could easy ride my bike to Dallas.

Seattle it is. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
3/30/22 6:44 p.m.

Within 50 miles of Seattle

1989 Ford F-150

93,007 mi.  Looks pretty mint and the carfax is clear (betting it has more mileage, but doesn't look like it)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b474a333-98dd-40a3-9c81-340e76483465/?aff=atempest&CMP=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

Manual, 2 door Pathfinder
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JN8HD17Y4RW220829?sourceSiteId=10&partner=VSN_0

Hopefully this will contain my tools during air travel. I got the one with the handle and wheels. 

Struggling with pictures from my phone. I also went to the GRM store and ordered some stickers for my tool case and also for whatever beater I buy. A man has to represent...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/3/22 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Ride your bike and I will help you put it the back of the Subaru.  You could do the first ever GRM ride and drive! 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/9/22 2:00 p.m.

Still looking? Want a Saab?

I am still looking. That Saab seems quite optimistic as a road trip potential though.

I have the plane ticket bought. Hotel room in Seattle reserved for three days. Pelican case for some tools to take with me. I got out my Bentley last night. I may take it with me. Just on a hunch.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/9/22 2:20 p.m.

It's is optimistic but I have a next level fly and drive idea for you:

Buy a cool tow vehicle, rent a dolly and tow back the Saab too.

It's just crazy enought that it might work

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
4/9/22 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Oh man, you are evil lol. I love that idea!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
4/9/22 3:20 p.m.

Lots of volvos around Portland if you make it down this way. 

thatsnowinnebago said:

Lots of volvos around Portland if you make it down this way. 

I may. I'm trying to start firming up some possibilities prior to flying out. I'm scheduled to be staying in Seatac. I figure if I buy a 240 of some variety I will go down to IPD and get some goodies while I'm in the area anyway. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
4/9/22 8:37 p.m.

Yeah, it'd be foolish not to really. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/10/22 2:39 a.m.

I'm just catching up on the last page or two of this thread, and right up until the point where you said that you bought a plane ticket, I was going to suggest that you fly to Connecticut and buy this:

You could leave most of your tools home and drive comfortably back to Texas. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
4/12/22 12:30 p.m.

1989 MR2 for 5K, looks expensive to me and I see lots of small body issues, but may be worth a look- https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/714000586699627/

1986 Justy with a lift for 3K, something a bit different, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/507554620927396/

1987 Dodge ram 50 Short Bed manual 4x4 for $3200- https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/313648207379569/

1993 Chevrolet s-10 for $1500 manual v6- https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1000668810876745/

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/14/22 5:30 a.m.

When is your flight?

4/14/22 6:58 a.m.

Wednesday the 27th.

My wife transferred a bundle of money to her son up there. He will have it on hand for me when I arrive. I was hesitant to travel with that much cash and the potential hassle/scrutiny that can cause from TSA.

I had begun groundwork on a Volvo 245 and it seemed like the seller was going to be willing to work with me on a meet up but he has gone radio silence recently so my confidence in that is rapidly dissipating. 

4/25/22 5:31 p.m.

It's about 36 more hours till blast off. I've got my tool kit in the Pelican case. Also in there is my jump pack and my scanner. My clothes and laptop will be in a backpack. 

My stepson texted me this morning. He's got an Army acquaintance who is looking to get rid of an old Corolla. Not sure the details yet. Reported to be cheap and a driver. That's about the firmest lead I have so far. Everyone else has been flaky or ghosting me. Funny how people squirm when you ask them straight out if they have the title in hand, no liens, and in their name, ready to sell. I may wind up hitting some shady car lot and buying a 2000 dollar beater. At least I stand a solid chance of legit paperwork that way.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/25/22 6:19 p.m.

How about I drive my Subaru to Jackson to my new house, you fly here buy it and drive it back? It'll make the trip no problem.  You won't even need tools.  Heck I can fill it up first too.  

4/25/22 6:23 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I tend to avoid ScoobyDoos for their various inherent mechanical issues.

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
4/25/22 7:05 p.m.
Cadman5
Cadman5 Reader
5/22/22 10:51 p.m.

What ever happened to this adventure? Did I miss a spin-off thread?

5/23/22 7:50 a.m.
Cadman5 said:

What ever happened to this adventure? Did I miss a spin-off thread?

It went off relatively well. I had a little issue buying a car but in the end wound up with a 26 year old Corolla. I really enjoyed the whole deal and now I have a good car, albeit a Corolla.

There is a lot of upheaval in my life right now (not bad, good) and I haven't had the mental energy to post much about it. I will soon though.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dPxCbbDs8cpGon1JASokITDBD9b3sEuoX6EV5IRCYd5EjVkCn0Wvj1VgaLfndQaU