1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/18/13 5:27 p.m.

When my Mazda2 died recently I instantly knew that even though I liked it enough to keep it, I didn't like it enough to buy another one. An aquaintence had the exact experience last week. That got me to thinking, do you own anything that you like enough to replace it with the same thing if it were to die an untimely death?
My wife and I agreed that we'd buy another FJ cruiser the next day if something happened to ours. I'd probably buy another Porsche too, but I can't guarantee it would be another 964. Maybe a 993?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/18/13 5:34 p.m.

My Civic.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/18/13 5:34 p.m.

I'd buy another Mazda5, same year and everything. I'd much prefer a different color. I don't think there's been another car I'd get identical again, not even the Javelin (I'd take a 71-72 401/4-Speed...). I miss my RX-7's dearly, but I want to try an FD or a Turbo II next, maybe a wicked clean GSL-SE. No desire for another carb'd 12A FB (though I would take an SA, go figure) or an n/A S4.

I'd buy another HF aluminum low-profile racing jack. (Thanks for the coupon GRM!) Actually, I'd buy the vast majority of my tools again with the same ones.

I'd buy (and have many times) an identical copy of a really good model to build. Still haven't built any of the duplicates, mind, but still.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
11/18/13 5:35 p.m.

When the STi died I initialled wished that i could've, but finanically it wasn't in the cards, and in hindsight i'm glad that i didn't

a bg chassis 323 and NA miata though both fit the bill.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/18/13 5:39 p.m.

If something was to die from mechanical problems, I would not likely replace it with the same thing. If it was killed, as in an accident then I would. And I have. WRX/STi. Nothing else quite like them for the price except the EVO which I also really like but just not enough to jump ship from Subaru.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
11/18/13 5:41 p.m.

I'd buy a mint Firefly or Sprint Turbo in a heartbeat ;)

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
11/18/13 5:44 p.m.

I think I've pretty well proven that I'd buy another Quantum Syncro Wagon.

And I'd buy another RX-7 - twice.

It can bite you in the ass, though. I bought a replacement for a car and realized that I didn't like big American cars as much as nimble compact cars. So that was a waste of time and money, except for the education, which is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/18/13 5:46 p.m.

I bought another rpotege5. I would buy another 64-65 elcamino. I would buy another s10..

None would be exactly like the last, though.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/18/13 5:46 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: I'd buy a mint Firefly or Sprint Turbo in a heartbeat ;)

As would I, but I think I'm otherwise done with this platform.

I was going to say my Mac, but we all know that will never happen

What happened to your Mazda 2?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
11/18/13 5:50 p.m.

240Z, Alfa GTV, 944T, TR4, X1/9, MR2...it might be easier to list what I wouldn't buy again...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
11/18/13 5:53 p.m.

I would never replace anything I currently own with another same make/year/model; it's an opportunity to go experience something new. Now, that being said, there are a few cars that I wouldn't mind revisiting; an AE86, an FC, and a B-body wagon come to mind.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/18/13 5:58 p.m.

'77 Trans Am is the only one I would have replaced.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
11/18/13 6:03 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I would never replace anything I currently own with another same make/year/model; it's an opportunity to go experience something new. Now, that being said, there are a few cars that I wouldn't mind revisiting; an AE86, an FC, and a B-body wagon come to mind.

This is how I look at it. I have a few I would like again but not many and the versions I had were not in the best of shape.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/18/13 6:03 p.m.

Let's see...

I currently own:

'88 Chevy C1500
'89 4Runner
'94 Sentra SE-R
'07 Honda Fit Sport

I'd replace the Chevy with a newer truck with an auto and a 5.7 Vortec (it has a 5.0 TBI boat anchor).
I'd much rather have a Miata or an MR2 that the SE-R (RWD>FWD).
The Fit gets disappointing mileage, given the chance I'd probably opt for the best Prius for the money.
BUT, the 4Runner... I like Cherokees, but there's nothing with quite the 3rd World civil war street cred of a 1gen 4Runner. I love that truck.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/18/13 6:12 p.m.

As someone who has owned 3 E30s... 4 E36s and 1 E46... I'd have to say... there is probably more of them in my future.

I'd buy another 911 - but the next one will be a barely street legal '73 RSR knockoff if one ever enters my sphere of affordability again.

I'd but another Subaru Outback wagon too.

Chevy truck? Yeah. I'd buy the 2500HD again in a heartbeat.

I see a pattern here.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/18/13 6:16 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: When my Mazda2 died recently I instantly knew that even though I liked it enough to keep it, I didn't like it enough to buy another one. An aquaintence had the exact experience last week. That got me to thinking, do you own anything that you like enough to replace it with the same thing if it were to die an untimely death? My wife and I agreed that we'd buy another FJ cruiser the next day if something happened to ours. I'd probably buy another Porsche too, but I can't guarantee it would be another 964. Maybe a 993?

Whoa. What? What happened? I'd buy another Turbo Dodge. I'll buy ALL the 1st gen crx's and 3G Civic hatches.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
11/18/13 6:23 p.m.

My NB Miata and the wife's xB would be replaced by replicas. I've already replaced a 1991 GTI twice.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/18/13 6:26 p.m.

I've voted with copious amounts of cash; I sell a rabbit And promptly buy another one....46 times now. Just the right amount of LEGOness and fun to drive.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/18/13 6:26 p.m.

I'd buy another NA Miata and another Prius too.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/18/13 6:27 p.m.

I bought another Saab 900 to replace my dead one. I have also owned a multitude of Fiat 124s.

I would buy another 318ti without even thinking about it if one presented itself to me

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/18/13 6:30 p.m.

AE92 Corolla Station Wagon. Has to have the optional roof rack. Steel wheels with the plastic center caps.

Only difference is that I would get a 90-92 model with the 4AFE and 5-speed. Good for 110 hp and 32mpg HWY.

Not the most nimble car, but it could take a beating and keep asking for more.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/18/13 6:32 p.m.

I'm on my third e30, hopefully this one will last for the next 20 years so I don't have to buy another one.

When it comes to collector cars I'm on my fifth 1961 Pontiac.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/18/13 6:40 p.m.

I've loved a bunch of different cars, but I also get bored with stuff.

If I bought "another" of anything, it would probably be an emotional thing, rather than "it's the best car ever and I need another one". New cars are generally better cars.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/18/13 6:47 p.m.

The only one that i would absolutely HAVE to have again is my Honda Insight. If mine were totalled i would be looking for a new Insight within minutes, hours at most.

After that it gets less certain but i would buy another:

2g Prius

5spd Caravan

Dodge Dynasty

I've actually already owned 5 Caravans and 3 Dynastys. I think if my current van or dynasty were smashed up bad enough that i couldnt reuse any of the parts ive got on them, i might be demoralized enough to not get another one. The van has a lot of inherent goodness but >50% of my affection for either one is tied up in the mods ive done.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/18/13 6:54 p.m.

Right now, at 7:54 PM on 11/18, in the Year of our Lord Two-thousand-thirteen...

another early Bronco.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8XEaE9N1fbYoUP9hEwEbrYVNIWKc6psrm19STI4A648R5zgT0oxAsLW0wPGzGRuh